Incoming calls during power/network outage?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by NNTP, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. NNTP

    NNTP Guest

    Fellow VOIPer's

    Have any of you tested to see what happens to incoming calls when the power
    or the net is down. I assumed during a power or network outage incoming
    calls would roll-over to voice mail. When I powered down my modem and
    dialed in from a POTS line, it resulted in a long period (~19 secs) of
    dead-line, eventually followed by the 'all circuits' busy tone.

    Below is a note to tech support and thier response. [They are not correct
    about the 'busy signal' which is different then an the 'all circuits busy'
    tone.]

    If you haven't already tested it, give it a try and share the results with
    the rest of us. As you can see below I'm using Sunrocket.

    Thanks

    Bob

    Dear Sunrocket

    I just powered down my modem and dialed in from a POTS line. It resulted in
    a long period (~19 secs) of dead-line, eventually followed by the 'all
    circuits' busy tone.

    To me this is a big deal. I really expected to be collecting voice mail
    during a network service outage. Remember once the network is down it's
    too late enable the 'Do Not Disturb' feature.

    Is there a fix for this? Do all VOIP products have this weakness?

    NNTP, Aug 29, 2005

  2. NNTP

    Dmitri Guest

    NNTP wrote:

    > Fellow VOIPer's

    > Have any of you tested to see what happens to incoming calls when the
    > power
    > or the net is down. I assumed during a power or network outage incoming

    > calls would roll-over to voice mail. When I powered down my modem and
    > dialed in from a POTS line, it resulted in a long period (~19 secs) of
    > dead-line, eventually followed by the 'all circuits' busy tone.

    This problem is not specific to VoIP only. With ANY circuit, if there is
    no path to the premise equipment for any reason, the call is going to be
    lost if not forwarded to the central office-side voice mail. If you have
    VM service with your VoIP package, what I would do is to set it up to pick
    up after 5-6 rings with your private switch or auto-answering machine
    picking it up after 3-4. This way normally all calls will be answered at
    your locations, and when there is an interruption, they will be answered
    at the central office. You just have to remember to check your messages
    there every so often or enable e-mail notifications of sorts (depends on
    your provider).

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

    Dmitri, Aug 29, 2005

  3. NNTP

    Guest

    I spoke with a customer service rep the other day, and he said that
    SunRocket is developing a failover system that will hopefully be up and
    running by the fall. I believe it will go to voicemail right now after
    being down for either 30 or 60 minutes, not sure.

    , Aug 29, 2005
  4. NNTP

    Bob Alan Guest

    I have VM set up. If I use the voip phone and call myself it goes to VM
    immediately. During network outage there is no ringing, just dead air for
    ~19 sec

    Bob Alan, Aug 29, 2005
  5. NNTP

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <L6FQe.230543$>
    (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com))
    wrote:

    >NNTP wrote:
    >

    >> Fellow VOIPer's

    >> Have any of you tested to see what happens to incoming calls when the
    >> power
    >> or the net is down. I assumed during a power or network outage incoming

    >> calls would roll-over to voice mail. When I powered down my modem and
    >> dialed in from a POTS line, it resulted in a long period (~19 secs) of
    >> dead-line, eventually followed by the 'all circuits' busy tone.

    >This problem is not specific to VoIP only. With ANY circuit, if there is
    >no path to the premise equipment for any reason, the call is going to be
    >lost if not forwarded to the central office-side voice mail. If you have
    >VM service with your VoIP package, what I would do is to set it up to pick
    >up after 5-6 rings with your private switch or auto-answering machine
    >picking it up after 3-4. This way normally all calls will be answered at
    >your locations, and when there is an interruption, they will be answered
    >at the central office. You just have to remember to check your messages
    >there every so often or enable e-mail notifications of sorts (depends on
    >your provider).

    Sure, but the different with some VoIP implementations is that if the
    premise equipment becomes unavailable, not all VoIP implementations
    route calls to voicemail even if the voicemail is handled by the switch.

    This is one thing Vonage did right, if you have call forwarding enabled
    then your calls go there, otherwise they go to your "network
    availability number", or lastly, they go to your Vonage voicemail.

    --
    If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.

    DevilsPGD, Aug 29, 2005
  6. NNTP

    Bob Alan Guest

    When you system is config'd to have call ring a few time before WM, have you
    actually tried to power down the modem then call on a different phone?

    "DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message
    In message <L6FQe.230543$>
    (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com))

    Bob Alan, Aug 30, 2005
  7. NNTP

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <bTPQe.4729$dm.4267@lakeread03> " Bob Alan" <>
    wrote:

    >When you system is config'd to have call ring a few time before WM, have you
    >actually tried to power down the modem then call on a different phone?

    Yes, I've actually pressed "dial" on my cell at the same moment I pulled
    the plug (The plug was pulled electronically -- I turned off Vonage's
    switch port), the call sat in silence for 5 seconds or so, then was
    transferred.

    I don't recall if it was transferred to voicemail or to my network
    availability number, but it wasn't "lost"

    --
    They say you shouldn't say anything about the dead unless it's good.

    "He's dead. Good."

    DevilsPGD, Aug 30, 2005
  8. NNTP

    Bob Alan Guest

    Got the following from SunRocket

    Hi Bob,

    In the case of any type of outage, all calls will route to voice mail within
    30 minutes. We are actually working on a failover feature where your calls
    would roll to another number like your cell phone. We hope to have this in
    place by the fall.

    Regards,

    Jeremy Guerin
    SunRocket Marketing