Incoming Caller ID not working

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Debbie Wilson, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Hi - I'm a bit of a VoIP newbie so please forgive me if this is a bit
    confusing. I have a problem in that incoming caller ID for landline and
    mobile calls does not work with my newly-setup VoIP service. They just
    show up as 'Out of Area'. (I haven't tried any incoming VoIP calls as I
    don't know anyone else using it!)

    The configuration/equipment is as follows:
    - Thomson Speedtouch 716WL VoIP router
    - PlusTalk Anytime service from my ISP PlusNet
    - Caller ID is enabled on my BT line
    - CLIP is enabled on the router's 'telephony service' menu

    I am using a normal DECT handset with the basestation plugged into the
    Phone 1 port on the router. The router has a DSL connection and a
    separate PSTN connection to an XF-1e ADSL filter which I specifically
    got to allow caller display to work (it has been working fine
    previously). The filter then plugs into the BT wall socket as per
    normal. The call quality is good both incoming and outgoing, it's just
    that incoming caller ID is not working as it should. It's very important
    to me as I'm a freelance illustrator and really want to know who's
    ringing to hassle me about deadlines, before answering ;-)

    Can anyone help at all? Thanks very much -

    Deb.

    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
     
    Debbie Wilson, Oct 3, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Debbie Wilson

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-10-03, Debbie Wilson <> wrote:
    > Hi - I'm a bit of a VoIP newbie so please forgive me if this is a bit
    > confusing. I have a problem in that incoming caller ID for landline and
    > mobile calls does not work with my newly-setup VoIP service. They just
    > show up as 'Out of Area'. (I haven't tried any incoming VoIP calls as I
    > don't know anyone else using it!)
    >
    > The configuration/equipment is as follows:
    > - Thomson Speedtouch 716WL VoIP router
    > - PlusTalk Anytime service from my ISP PlusNet
    > - Caller ID is enabled on my BT line
    > - CLIP is enabled on the router's 'telephony service' menu


    There are people about who are skilled in explaining how caller ID is
    carried across networks but I'm probably not one of them. However, that
    'Out of Area' would appear to be a message used in the USA. Quoting
    from

    http://web.net2phone.com/consumer/voiceline/features_caller_id.asp

    'If a caller is in an area that does not have Caller ID technology or
    the call is routed through machinery that is not equipped with Caller ID
    technology, a message reading "Out of Area" will appear on your Caller
    ID display screen.'

    I assume you get 'Out of Area' when contacting your voip phone from your
    own BT line or mobile, so I suggest you contact PlusTalk as they are
    responsible for passing the caller ID.

    Brian.
     
    Brian, Oct 3, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Debbie Wilson

    LJ Guest

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:28:24 +0100, Debbie Wilson wrote:
    >
    > Hi - I'm a bit of a VoIP newbie so please forgive me if this is a bit
    > confusing. I have a problem in that incoming caller ID for landline and
    > mobile calls does not work with my newly-setup VoIP service. They just
    > show up as 'Out of Area'. (I haven't tried any incoming VoIP calls as I
    > don't know anyone else using it!)


    I've got exactly the same issue with a new ZyXEL 2602HWL-61C. CLI for VoIP
    calls shows up fine on the DECT phone I've got plugged in. CLI is
    definitely on the BT line because it comes up on a standalone CLID I've got
    connected between ADSL filter and router, but doesn't show up on the DECT
    phone. (I've tried it without the standalone CLID just on case that was
    affecting it, but no change). I've emailed ZyXEL support about it this
    morning...

    Maybe you could plug in a standalone CLID temporarily?

    LJ
     
    LJ, Oct 3, 2005
    #3
  4. Debbie Wilson

    Sean Guest

    LJ wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:28:24 +0100, Debbie Wilson wrote:
    >
    >>Hi - I'm a bit of a VoIP newbie so please forgive me if this is a bit
    >>confusing. I have a problem in that incoming caller ID for landline and
    >>mobile calls does not work with my newly-setup VoIP service. They just
    >>show up as 'Out of Area'. (I haven't tried any incoming VoIP calls as I
    >>don't know anyone else using it!)

    >
    >
    > I've got exactly the same issue with a new ZyXEL 2602HWL-61C. CLI for VoIP
    > calls shows up fine on the DECT phone I've got plugged in. CLI is
    > definitely on the BT line because it comes up on a standalone CLID I've got
    > connected between ADSL filter and router, but doesn't show up on the DECT
    > phone. (I've tried it without the standalone CLID just on case that was
    > affecting it, but no change). I've emailed ZyXEL support about it this
    > morning...
    >
    > Maybe you could plug in a standalone CLID temporarily?
    >
    > LJ


    Sadly it is not likely it will ever work. I've used BT VoIP boxes, with
    PSTN connectivity, and they work with a relay. They are on VoIP all the
    time, unless there is a power cut, or the user presses a key which has
    been assigned. When a incoming call comes through on a BT line the CLI
    is sent before the ring voltage, the relay does not switch over until
    the ring is sent. So if your using a cable line (with american CLI) it
    will work, because the phone rings, the relay clicks over, the CLI goes
    thru, the phone rings again. I don't know if what i am blabbering on
    about will help anyone, but BT CLI is not good with VoIP to PSTN
    connectivity. Best to use an additional telephone :)
     
    Sean, Oct 3, 2005
    #4
  5. LJ <> wrote:

    > I've got exactly the same issue with a new ZyXEL 2602HWL-61C. CLI for VoIP
    > calls shows up fine on the DECT phone I've got plugged in. CLI is
    > definitely on the BT line because it comes up on a standalone CLID I've got
    > connected between ADSL filter and router, but doesn't show up on the DECT
    > phone. (I've tried it without the standalone CLID just on case that was
    > affecting it, but no change). I've emailed ZyXEL support about it this
    > morning...


    Same situation here. CLI definitely working, and if I plug the DECT
    phone directly into the filter - BT socket, it works on that. But when
    plugged into the router it shows 'Out of Area'. I've emailed Speedtouch
    support and also Plus Net but neither have come back so far.

    > Maybe you could plug in a standalone CLID temporarily?


    Have just fetched my old CD30 out of the loft and connected that back
    up. Even that was very temperamental, and after a lot of fiddling around
    it is only working when plugged into the same microfilter as the DSL
    line into the router. If the router's DSL and PSTN lines share one
    filter, the CD30 won't work on another one on its own. Bizarre. I now
    have it sitting next to the DECT phone so at least there is some kind of
    ID, though not as good as having the address book display on the DECT.

    Thanks for your help -

    Deb.

    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
     
    Debbie Wilson, Oct 3, 2005
    #5
  6. Brian <> wrote:

    > I assume you get 'Out of Area' when contacting your voip phone from your
    > own BT line or mobile, so I suggest you contact PlusTalk as they are
    > responsible for passing the caller ID.


    Thanks Brian, useful info there. Yes, it's 'Out of Area' when I ring the
    VoIP phone from my mobile. It's odd because as this router has an
    incoming PSTN line, incoming landline/mobile calls basically go from BT
    line to router to DECT phone. So I am wondering if it's some fault or
    seting on the router that isn't working properly? I have emailed
    Speedtouch today about this... see if they reply.

    Deb.

    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
     
    Debbie Wilson, Oct 3, 2005
    #6
  7. Sean <> wrote:

    > Sadly it is not likely it will ever work. I've used BT VoIP boxes, with
    > PSTN connectivity, and they work with a relay. They are on VoIP all the
    > time, unless there is a power cut, or the user presses a key which has
    > been assigned. When a incoming call comes through on a BT line the CLI
    > is sent before the ring voltage, the relay does not switch over until
    > the ring is sent.


    So the phone misses the CLI as it's whizzed through before it knows it's
    got an incoming call... if the router was on PSTN by default, instead of
    VoIP, it would be OK for CLI, except you'd have to probably press a
    button or whatever to make a VoIP call. I think I sort of understand :)
    If so then it's not going be be solvable, as you say. Guess I'll have to
    stick with the CD30 for now.

    Thanks Sean -

    Deb.
    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
     
    Debbie Wilson, Oct 3, 2005
    #7
  8. Debbie Wilson

    LJ Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:48:29 +0100, Sean wrote:
    >
    > Sadly it is not likely it will ever work. I've used BT VoIP boxes, with
    > PSTN connectivity, and they work with a relay. They are on VoIP all the
    > time, unless there is a power cut, or the user presses a key which has
    > been assigned. When a incoming call comes through on a BT line the CLI
    > is sent before the ring voltage, the relay does not switch over until
    > the ring is sent. So if your using a cable line (with american CLI) it
    > will work, because the phone rings, the relay clicks over, the CLI goes
    > thru, the phone rings again.


    That makes sense. Surely it would make more sense to have the relay set to
    the PSTN line until a VoIP call comes in - that way the BT pre-ring CLI
    would get through... I guess the problem is that that would make it more
    complicated when the phone goes off hook to make a call - the router would
    have to quickly disconnect from the PSTN to stop the call going that way.

    > I don't know if what i am blabbering on
    > about will help anyone, but BT CLI is not good with VoIP to PSTN
    > connectivity. Best to use an additional telephone :)


    Heh, true but the idea was to route it all by a nice DECT phone rather than
    have two handsets! ...and anyway it says here on the router box:
    "Telephony Features: Caller ID" ! ;)

    LJ
     
    LJ, Oct 3, 2005
    #8
  9. Debbie Wilson

    LJ Guest

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:07:06 +0100, Debbie Wilson wrote:
    >
    > Have just fetched my old CD30 out of the loft and connected that back
    > up.


    > Thanks for your help -


    No problem - guess it's better than nothing while we wait for the various
    support departments to come back to us. Doesn't sound promising based on
    what Sean posted though :/

    LJ
     
    LJ, Oct 3, 2005
    #9
  10. Debbie Wilson

    Sean Guest

    LJ wrote:

    > Heh, true but the idea was to route it all by a nice DECT phone rather than
    > have two handsets! ...and anyway it says here on the router box:
    > "Telephony Features: Caller ID" ! ;)
    >
    > LJ


    Yeah, i've tried this, but telephone calls are like buses, non for ages,
    then loads at once. So i would miss calls if i used one handset for 2
    lines. Also it's useful to be able to make more than one call at a time :)
     
    Sean, Oct 3, 2005
    #10
  11. LJ <> wrote:

    > Heh, true but the idea was to route it all by a nice DECT phone rather than
    > have two handsets! ...and anyway it says here on the router box:
    > "Telephony Features: Caller ID" ! ;)


    My CD30 has now stopped displaying any information too - seems to be
    totally random, whatever combination of plugging-in of equipment,
    whether it works or not! It is going straight into the ADSL filter to
    the BT socket, and shows nothing, and the DECT phone happily telling me
    'Out of Area'.... arghh!!

    Deb.
    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
     
    Debbie Wilson, Oct 3, 2005
    #11
  12. Debbie Wilson

    LJ Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:01:36 +0100, Sean wrote:
    >
    > Yeah, i've tried this, but telephone calls are like buses, non for ages,
    > then loads at once. So i would miss calls if i used one handset for 2
    > lines. Also it's useful to be able to make more than one call at a time :)


    Well I've got voicemail on the VoIP - the PSTN would just get an engaged
    tone (I don't fancy BT's 1571). Anyway, two calls at once sounds far too
    much like being at the office!

    LJ
     
    LJ, Oct 3, 2005
    #12
  13. Debbie Wilson

    LJ Guest

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:14:47 +0100, Debbie Wilson wrote:
    >
    > My CD30 has now stopped displaying any information too - seems to be
    > totally random, whatever combination of plugging-in of equipment,
    > whether it works or not! It is going straight into the ADSL filter to
    > the BT socket, and shows nothing, and the DECT phone happily telling me
    > 'Out of Area'.... arghh!!


    Pesky telephones! If you've already tried unplugging everything else,
    whatever's left has to be faulty *g* I've heard of duff filters stopping
    CLI from getting through - have you got more than one?

    LJ
     
    LJ, Oct 3, 2005
    #13
  14. LJ <> wrote:

    > Pesky telephones! If you've already tried unplugging everything else,
    > whatever's left has to be faulty *g* I've heard of duff filters stopping
    > CLI from getting through - have you got more than one?


    Ah yes - been through that in the past ;-)
    Got myself three XF-1e filters previously which have been doing an
    excellent job of allowing Caller ID to work.

    Interesting thing though, I unplugged the CD-30 in disgust and plugged
    in an old Philips Onis DECT phone to the BT line instead (with filter).
    It *does* show the caller ID (number only) although the line quality is
    bad. Very odd! Must mean something but have no idea what, or how it
    would help.

    Deb.
    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
     
    Debbie Wilson, Oct 3, 2005
    #14
  15. Debbie Wilson

    LJ Guest

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:27:02 +0100, Debbie Wilson wrote:
    >
    > Ah yes - been through that in the past ;-)
    > Got myself three XF-1e filters previously which have been doing an
    > excellent job of allowing Caller ID to work.
    >
    > Interesting thing though, I unplugged the CD-30 in disgust and plugged
    > in an old Philips Onis DECT phone to the BT line instead (with filter).
    > It *does* show the caller ID (number only) although the line quality is
    > bad. Very odd! Must mean something but have no idea what, or how it
    > would help.


    Running out of things to suggest - have you tried unscrewing the faceplate
    on the main socket and plugging directly into the socket behind?

    LJ
     
    LJ, Oct 3, 2005
    #15
  16. LJ <> wrote:

    > Running out of things to suggest - have you tried unscrewing the faceplate
    > on the main socket and plugging directly into the socket behind?


    No... that's actually in a different room to the rest of this setup so
    would be tricky. Thanks for all your suggestions anyway, much
    appreciated! Am now waiting for two different tech support people to get
    back to me.... some day :)

    Deb.

    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
     
    Debbie Wilson, Oct 3, 2005
    #16
  17. Debbie Wilson

    LJ Guest

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:56:55 +0100, Debbie Wilson wrote:
    >
    > Am now waiting for two different tech support people to get
    > back to me.... some day :)


    I got a reply from ZyXEL saying they were aware of the issue and working on
    a new firmware release. No date for the new release, but they said it was
    in late beta... ;)

    LJ
     
    LJ, Oct 8, 2005
    #17
  18. LJ <> wrote:

    > I got a reply from ZyXEL saying they were aware of the issue and working on
    > a new firmware release. No date for the new release, but they said it was
    > in late beta... ;)


    Interesting... maybe Speedtouch will be working on the same. We live in
    hope :)

    Deb.

    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
     
    Debbie Wilson, Oct 8, 2005
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scooby
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    9,590
    nvazirov
    Oct 4, 2012
  2. dmitri
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    870
  3. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    629
    Herman
    Feb 19, 2007
  4. Michael Bower
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    4,776
    beenthere
    Oct 1, 2006
  5. dmitri
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    614
    Herman
    Mar 21, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page