    Good luck and good sailing.
    s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
    http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare
    Armond Perretta, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Armond Perretta

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Armond Perretta wrote:
    > I have Comcast cable broadband feeding a Motorola modem that runs into a
    > Linksys wired router with 2 phone ports. The phone output from the modem
    > feeds the phone distribution panel (66 punch-down boards). All cabling is
    > either RG6 Quad of Cat53, and all wiring is recent.
    >
    > Aside from the occasional drop-out, I have the following issue. Quite often
    > incoming calls ring once (a short sort of "half ring"), and then disconnect.
    > A caller may experience this 3 or 4 times until he finally gets through
    > successfully. There is no immediate fix for this, and there is no pattern
    > except that it occurs "intermittently."
    >
    > Anyone else see this or have any suggestions? ATT has not been helpful
    > (understatement).

    What model modem and linksys do you have?

    (I have Comcast <==> Moto SB5100 cable modem <==> Dlink DVG 1120M <==>
    Linksys BEFSR41 which work really well with CallVantage, so far)
    Rick Merrill, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Rick Merrill wrote:
    > Armond Perretta wrote:
    >>
    >> ... Quite often incoming calls ring once (a short sort of "half ring"),
    >> and then disconnect. A caller may experience this 3 or 4 times until
    >> he finally gets through successfully. There is no immediate fix for
    >> this, and there is no pattern except that it occurs "intermittently."
    >>
    >> Anyone else see this or have any suggestions? ATT has not been
    >> helpful (understatement).

    > What model modem and linksys do you have?
    >
    > (I have Comcast <==> Moto SB5100 cable modem <==> Dlink DVG 1120M <==>
    > Linksys BEFSR41 which work really well with CallVantage, so far)

    Comcast -- Motorola 5100 -- Linksys RT41P2-AT -- various Linksys switches --
    many hard-wired Ethernet ports. The telephone port from the router runs to
    a 66 punchdown board and on to the telco ports.

    Are you thinking this may be a router hardware issue? Is it possible it's a
    REN issue (I have many phones hooked up, but only 5 or so ringing).
    Finally, have you _ever_ experienced this sympton on your setup?

    Armond Perretta, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Armond Perretta

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Armond Perretta wrote:
    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >
    >>Armond Perretta wrote:
    >>
    >>>... Quite often incoming calls ring once (a short sort of "half ring"),
    >>>and then disconnect. A caller may experience this 3 or 4 times until
    >>>he finally gets through successfully. There is no immediate fix for
    >>>this, and there is no pattern except that it occurs "intermittently."
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else see this or have any suggestions? ATT has not been
    >>>helpful (understatement).

    >>What model modem and linksys do you have?
    >>
    >>(I have Comcast <==> Moto SB5100 cable modem <==> Dlink DVG 1120M <==>
    >>Linksys BEFSR41 which work really well with CallVantage, so far)

    > Comcast -- Motorola 5100 -- Linksys RT41P2-AT -- various Linksys switches --
    > many hard-wired Ethernet ports. The telephone port from the router runs to
    > a 66 punchdown board and on to the telco ports.
    >
    > Are you thinking this may be a router hardware issue? Is it possible it's a
    > REN issue (I have many phones hooked up, but only 5 or so ringing).
    > Finally, have you _ever_ experienced this sympton on your setup?

    The way to test the REN situation is to pull all the plugs but one, have
    a friend call you, and start plugging in the others until someone stops
    ringing! The linksys should support a total REN of 5 (which is a loT!)
    per rj-11! It may help to turn off a few ringers if you don't require
    them;-)
    Rick Merrill, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Rick Merrill <> writes:
    > The way to test the REN situation is to pull all the plugs but one,
    > have a friend call you, and start plugging in the others until someone
    > stops ringing! The linksys should support a total REN of 5 (which is
    > a loT!) per rj-11! It may help to turn off a few ringers if you don't
    > require them;-)

    I wonder why the REN on each phone has gone up again. At one time all
    the electronic phones seemed to have RENs of 0.2 or 0.1. Now it seems
    hard to find one that is significantly under 1.0.

    In addition to REN issues, I understand that the normal ring freq. in
    the US is 20 hz, but many Sipura adaptors default to generating a 25hz
    signal (that probably includes Linksys and Cisco). It might be
    worthwhile to check that too.

    -wolfgang
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Rick Merrill wrote:
    > Armond Perretta wrote:
    >> Rick Merrill wrote:

    >>> What model modem and linksys do you have?

    >> Comcast -- Motorola 5100 -- Linksys RT41P2-AT -- ...
    >>
    >> Are you thinking this may be a router hardware issue? Is it
    >> possibly a REN issue ... ? Finally, have you _ever_ experienced this
    >> symptom on your setup?

    > The way to test the REN situation is to pull all the plugs but one,
    > have a friend call you, and start plugging in the others until
    > someone stops ringing! The linksys should support a total REN of 5
    > (which is a loT!) per rj-11! It may help to turn off a few ringers if
    > you don't require them;-)

    I have tried the system with only a single phone connected directly to the
    TA/router, and the problem still appears. I was on the phone yesterday
    with ATT tech support and they indicated that REN was not an issue. They
    also suggested I try a "cold" reboot (using the reset button on the back of
    the TA). Tried this and still have the problem.

    I am wondering if the TA/router itself is the issue, so I am going to ask
    them to replace the current hardware.

    Armond Perretta, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Armond Perretta

    J.P. Guest

    Armond Perretta wrote:
    > I have Comcast cable broadband feeding a Motorola modem that runs into a
    > Linksys wired router with 2 phone ports. The phone output from the modem
    > feeds the phone distribution panel (66 punch-down boards). All cabling is
    > either RG6 Quad of Cat53, and all wiring is recent.
    >
    > Aside from the occasional drop-out, I have the following issue. Quite often
    > incoming calls ring once (a short sort of "half ring"), and then disconnect.
    > A caller may experience this 3 or 4 times until he finally gets through
    > successfully. There is no immediate fix for this, and there is no pattern
    > except that it occurs "intermittently."
    >
    > Anyone else see this or have any suggestions? ATT has not been helpful
    > (understatement).

    I had the same exact issue with a Linksys TA, AT&T sent me a D-Link
    adapter and everything has been fine since.

    The other issue I would have before the adapter switch was calls going
    directly to voicemail instead of ringing the allotted rings at the house.

    I don't think REN is an issue, I'm using *eight* WE 2500 or equivalents
    (traditional desk or wall phones) on my adapter without an issue.
    Granted, they're not all cranked up to full ring volume but I'm still
    surprised at how many phones the adapter will power.

    J.P.
    J.P., Oct 24, 2005
  8. Armond Perretta

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Armond Perretta wrote:
    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >
    >>Armond Perretta wrote:

    >>>Comcast -- Motorola 5100 -- Linksys RT41P2-AT -- ...
    >>>
    >>>Are you thinking this may be a router hardware issue? Is it
    >>>possibly a REN issue ... ? Finally, have you _ever_ experienced this
    >>>symptom on your setup?

    >>The way to test the REN situation is to pull all the plugs but one,
    >>have a friend call you, and start plugging in the others until
    >>someone stops ringing! The linksys should support a total REN of 5
    >>(which is a loT!) per rj-11! It may help to turn off a few ringers if
    >>you don't require them;-)

    > I have tried the system with only a single phone connected directly to the
    > TA/router, and the problem still appears. I was on the phone yesterday
    > with ATT tech support and they indicated that REN was not an issue. They
    > also suggested I try a "cold" reboot (using the reset button on the back of
    > the TA). Tried this and still have the problem.
    >
    > I am wondering if the TA/router itself is the issue, so I am going to ask
    > them to replace the current hardware.

    the reset button is not the same as a power cycle. Turn off all your
    devices for 5 minutes (yes, really) then power them on one at a time
    starting with the cable and waiting 60 sec. before powering on the next
    device. I have seen this work for similar problems. good luck!
    Rick Merrill, Oct 24, 2005
  9. Armond Perretta

    Rick Merrill Guest

    J.P. wrote:

    > Armond Perretta wrote:
    >
    >> I have Comcast cable broadband feeding a Motorola modem that runs into a
    >> Linksys wired router with 2 phone ports. The phone output from the modem
    >> feeds the phone distribution panel (66 punch-down boards). All
    >> cabling is
    >> either RG6 Quad of Cat53, and all wiring is recent.
    >>
    >> Aside from the occasional drop-out, I have the following issue. Quite
    >> often
    >> incoming calls ring once (a short sort of "half ring"), and then
    >> disconnect.
    >> A caller may experience this 3 or 4 times until he finally gets through
    >> successfully. There is no immediate fix for this, and there is no
    >> pattern
    >> except that it occurs "intermittently."
    >>
    >> Anyone else see this or have any suggestions? ATT has not been helpful
    >> (understatement).
    >>

    > I had the same exact issue with a Linksys TA, AT&T sent me a D-Link
    > adapter and everything has been fine since.
    >
    > The other issue I would have before the adapter switch was calls going
    > directly to voicemail instead of ringing the allotted rings at the house.
    >
    > I don't think REN is an issue, I'm using *eight* WE 2500 or equivalents
    > (traditional desk or wall phones) on my adapter without an issue.
    > Granted, they're not all cranked up to full ring volume but I'm still
    > surprised at how many phones the adapter will power.
    >
    > J.P.

    Add up the REN "numbers" for each of your eight devices. What do you
    get? Some devices are pretty loud with a low REN.
    Rick Merrill, Oct 24, 2005
  10. J.P. wrote:
    > Armond Perretta wrote:
    >>
    >> ... often incoming calls ring once (a short sort of "half ring"),
    >> and then disconnect. A caller may experience this 3 or 4 times until
    >> he finally gets through successfully ...

    > I had the same exact issue with a Linksys TA, AT&T sent me a D-Link
    > adapter and everything has been fine since.

    I mentioned elsewhere that I intended to have ATT replace the Linksys with a
    D-Link. In the interim I am trying to determine if some of the phones
    themselves on the network are causing the problem. I have about 15 (!)
    phones plugged in, with about 5 ringing. Most are ATT or SBC, but 3 of them
    are off-brand caller-ID units. I disconnected them yesterday AM, and since
    then the system has functioned properly. Hmmmmm ...

    I am going to let this "fix" run for a while, but if it is not sufficient I
    will change out to the D-Link.

    Thanks for the info. When I mentioned this problem to ATT (several times) I
    got a "Well, I've never heard of that one."

    > I don't think REN is an issue, I'm using *eight* WE 2500 or
    > equivalents (traditional desk or wall phones) on my adapter without
    > an issue. Granted, they're not all cranked up to full ring volume but
    > I'm still surprised at how many phones the adapter will power.

    FWIW the ATT tech told me REN was not a limitation on their network.

    Armond Perretta, Oct 25, 2005
  11. Rick Merrill wrote:

    > the reset button is not the same as a power cycle. Turn off all your
    > devices for 5 minutes (yes, really) then power them on one at a time
    > starting with the cable and waiting 60 sec. before powering on the
    > next device. I have seen this work for similar problems. good luck!

    In the reset procedure recommended by the ATT tech, it happened that I
    waited over 15 minutes at each step (power off, power on, etc. for each
    device). The result was that the problem remained.

    Meanwhile I am in day 3 of the "no cheap phones" test mentioned in another
    post and so far I have not seen the problem recur.

    Thanks for the comments.

    Armond Perretta, Oct 26, 2005
  12. Armond Perretta wrote:
    > I have Comcast cable broadband feeding a Motorola modem that runs
    > into a Linksys wired router with 2 phone ports. The phone output
    > from the modem feeds the phone distribution panel (66 punch-down
    > boards). All cabling is either RG6 Quad of Cat53, and all wiring is
    > recent.
    > Aside from the occasional drop-out, I have the following issue. Quite
    > often incoming calls ring once (a short sort of "half ring"),
    > and then disconnect. A caller may experience this 3 or 4 times until
    > he finally gets through successfully. There is no immediate fix for
    > this, and there is no pattern except that it occurs "intermittently."
    >
    > Anyone else see this or have any suggestions? ATT has not been
    > helpful (understatement).

    Replying to my own post:

    It appears that the issues earlier described that have plagued my VoIP setup
    since January 05 were due to one or more faulty caller-ID phones. In my
    case at least (over 15 phones on the network) the quality of the sets became
    an issue. I have not seen a mention of this in the ATT (or other) VoIP
    literature.

    Armond Perretta, Oct 28, 2005