Inaccessible Boot Device: Dual boot 2K/XP - Safe way to fix?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by me, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. me

    me Guest

    I have a Duel boot system

    Windows 200o Pro on C:
    Windows XP Pro on D:

    This is a 60 gig drive with XP on a 3gig partition both NTFS.

    I'm getting a "Inaccessible Boot Device" error when I try to start
    Windows 2000 (C:) XP Starts fine.

    I've tried a CHKDSK /F on C: but does not fix anything

    I'm assuming I have to do a repair to the MBR
    using the Repair console but have seen posts that
    there is a risk of doing damage on a duel boot system

    Anyone have a link to instructions on how to go about
    this.

    Saving the Win2K partition and files is all I'm worried
    about. if I have to nuke XP that fine but would be nice
    to save both.

    Thanks
    me, Jun 16, 2006

  2. me

    Guest

    me <> wrote:

    |>I have a Duel boot system
    |>
    |>Windows 200o Pro on C:
    |>Windows XP Pro on D:
    |>
    |>This is a 60 gig drive with XP on a 3gig partition both NTFS.
    |>
    |>I'm getting a "Inaccessible Boot Device" error when I try to start
    |>Windows 2000 (C:) XP Starts fine.
    |>
    |>I've tried a CHKDSK /F on C: but does not fix anything
    |>

    |>I'm assuming I have to do a repair to the MBR
    |>using the Repair console but have seen posts that
    |>there is a risk of doing damage on a duel boot system
    |>

    |>Anyone have a link to instructions on how to go about
    |>this.

    Boot up with you XP cd get into the recovery window and type FIXBOOT
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

    If that doesn't work do the same thing, but use the command FIXMBR

    You can only run FIXMBR/FiXBOOT in the recovery window and it has to
    be an XP cd, not a Win2000.

    --
    Freddie Mercury RIP
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_T01w2ahe3c