    Any suggestions?? I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Please post
    here.

    Thank you

    bob, Aug 22, 2007

  2. bob

    meerkat Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi folks,
    > Got a problem my inlaws purchased a new desktop - P4 duo, 1GB RAM DVD
    > RW etc.
    > BUT it came with no HDD. So we went out and got a new Maxtor 160GB
    > SATA HDD.
    > Their old machine was had win 2000 pro sp4 all patched up.
    > with only a 10GB EIDE drive.
    > I ghosted the old drive to the new one(SATA), enabled S.M.A.R.T, and
    > tried to boot.
    > But every time I boot from the new (or old for that matter) HDD I get
    > the BSOD - 'cannot access boot device etc.......'
    > I have used Hirens CD to FDisk, format, reformat and do just about
    > every thing I can think of to be able to get this darn thing to just
    > boot up. But to no avail. I am stuck.
    > Any suggestions?? I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Please post
    > here.

    Installed any SATA drivers that are needed ?.
    Made the SATA the boot device in the BIOS ?.

    meerkat, Aug 22, 2007

  3. bob

    old man Guest

    and dont multi post

    old man, Aug 22, 2007
  4. bob

    ded Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    > Got a problem my inlaws purchased a new desktop - P4 duo, 1GB RAM DVD
    > RW etc.
    > BUT it came with no HDD. So we went out and got a new Maxtor 160GB
    > SATA HDD.
    > Their old machine was had win 2000 pro sp4 all patched up.
    > with only a 10GB EIDE drive.
    > I ghosted the old drive to the new one(SATA), enabled S.M.A.R.T, and
    > tried to boot.
    > But every time I boot from the new (or old for that matter) HDD I get
    > the BSOD - 'cannot access boot device etc.......'
    > I have used Hirens CD to FDisk, format, reformat and do just about
    > every thing I can think of to be able to get this darn thing to just
    > boot up. But to no avail. I am stuck.
    > Any suggestions?? I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Please post
    > here.
    >
    > Thank you

    "cannot access boot device etc" Is that the BIOS screen giving that message
    and what is the error in full?
    There is only so much one can do without the Windows installation disk.
    Do you have the Win2000 disk, if so boot from that, in setup it will scan
    for existing Win2000 installations, if found on the "ghosted" install, it
    will
    then give you option to "Repair".
    It will be a long process as you have a fully patched 2000 install, and you
    will continuously receive prompts asking if you wish to overwrite updated
    and patched files - No you don't. Just "repair" without replacing anything.
    If you don't have the Win2000 disk then you can't "introduce" either the
    new "ghost" HDD, nor the old one.

    ded, Aug 22, 2007
  5. bob

    old man Guest

    That wont work

    old man, Aug 22, 2007
  6. On Aug 22, 10:04 am, "old man" <> wrote:
    > That wont work
    >
    > "ded" <> wrote in messagenews:fahkv9$dc8$...
    >
    > > "bob" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi folks,
    > >> Got a problem my inlaws purchased a new desktop - P4 duo, 1GB RAM DVD
    > >> RW etc.
    > >> BUT it came with no HDD. So we went out and got a new Maxtor 160GB
    > >> SATA HDD.
    > >> Their old machine was had win 2000 pro sp4 all patched up.
    > >> with only a 10GB EIDE drive.
    > >> I ghosted the old drive to the new one(SATA), enabled S.M.A.R.T, and
    > >> tried to boot.
    > >> But every time I boot from the new (or old for that matter) HDD I get
    > >> the BSOD - 'cannot access boot device etc.......'
    > >> I have used Hirens CD to FDisk, format, reformat and do just about
    > >> every thing I can think of to be able to get this darn thing to just
    > >> boot up. But to no avail. I am stuck.
    > >> Any suggestions?? I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Please post
    > >> here.

    > >> Thank you

    > > "cannot access boot device etc" Is that the BIOS screen giving that
    > > message
    > > and what is the error in full?
    > > There is only so much one can do without the Windows installation disk.
    > > Do you have the Win2000 disk, if so boot from that, in setup it will scan
    > > for existing Win2000 installations, if found on the "ghosted" install, it
    > > will
    > > then give you option to "Repair".
    > > It will be a long process as you have a fully patched 2000 install, and
    > > you
    > > will continuously receive prompts asking if you wish to overwrite updated
    > > and patched files - No you don't. Just "repair" without replacing
    > > anything.
    > > If you don't have the Win2000 disk then you can't "introduce" either the
    > > new "ghost" HDD, nor the old one.

    Put the drive back in the old machine, boot it up, and install drivers
    for the new hard drive controller into the OS, then put the drive in
    the new computer.

    someone on the internet, Aug 22, 2007
  7. bob

    old man Guest