In WinXP: What Could Make My Black Files Blue?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bucky Breeder, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. SOS

    LOL! I couldn't resist having some pun with it, but it's a
    serious inquiry.

    On one of my WinXP boxes, rather suddenly, and without any
    incident which I can identify, other than I turned her off
    yesterday, and turned on today, many of my file-titles have
    turned blue: *.txt files, *.mp3 files, *.nfo files, etc. Not
    all of them, only some of them, and I can't seem to identify
    any pattern to it. They all seem to work normally enough.

    (Anyone think the "Queer-Eye" guys snucked in here last night
    and redecorated my machinery for a "Punked" episode? Well, I
    can't find any hidden cameras or Ashton Kutcher around here
    either. No crop circles out in the corn field either. I
    thought I saw one in the parking lot, but it turned out to be
    from a motorcycle doing 'Rockfords' - burning rubber in
    circles.) (o;

    Seriously, anyone ever have this blue-file thing happen or any
    idea what could cause it? It doesn't seem to cause any other
    problems other than giving me the paranoid willies.

    Thanks for any advice or insights into this weirdness.
    Bucky Breeder, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Bucky Breeder

    PuddleNuts Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > SOS
    >
    > LOL! I couldn't resist having some pun with it, but it's a
    > serious inquiry.
    >
    > On one of my WinXP boxes, rather suddenly, and without any
    > incident which I can identify, other than I turned her off
    > yesterday, and turned on today, many of my file-titles have
    > turned blue: *.txt files, *.mp3 files, *.nfo files, etc. Not
    > all of them, only some of them, and I can't seem to identify
    > any pattern to it. They all seem to work normally enough.
    >
    > (Anyone think the "Queer-Eye" guys snucked in here last night
    > and redecorated my machinery for a "Punked" episode? Well, I
    > can't find any hidden cameras or Ashton Kutcher around here
    > either. No crop circles out in the corn field either. I
    > thought I saw one in the parking lot, but it turned out to be
    > from a motorcycle doing 'Rockfords' - burning rubber in
    > circles.) (o;
    >
    > Seriously, anyone ever have this blue-file thing happen or any
    > idea what could cause it? It doesn't seem to cause any other
    > problems other than giving me the paranoid willies.
    >

    > Thanks for any advice or insights into this weirdness.

    In Explorer, click on 'Tools' and choose 'Folder Options'. Under 'Click
    items as follows..' select 'Double-click...'.

    --
    When you played in the sandbox as a kid, did cats keep trying to bury you?
    PuddleNuts, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Bucky Breeder <> wrote in

    > On one of my WinXP boxes, rather suddenly, and without any
    > incident which I can identify, other than I turned her off
    > yesterday, and turned on today, many of my file-titles have
    > turned blue: *.txt files, *.mp3 files, *.nfo files, etc.
    > Not all of them, only some of them, and I can't seem to
    > identify any pattern to it. They all seem to work normally
    > enough.

    <desnippenated de silliness>

    > Seriously, anyone ever have this blue-file thing happen or
    > any idea what could cause it? It doesn't seem to cause any
    > other problems other than giving me the paranoid willies.

    PuddleNuts <> wrote in

    > In Explorer, click on 'Tools' and choose 'Folder Options'.
    > Under 'Click items as follows..' select 'Double-click...'.

    Ahhh, thank you very much! That was a *good* *lead* indeed!

    In Explorer > Tools > "View" tab: scrolled down to the option
    titled "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color"
    which was selectd.

    De-selected it, pushed the "Apply" button and *voila*, my blue
    eyes are suddenly brown again.

    Then I remembered that the last time I used the Windows XP
    Cleanup utility, it took a seemingly long time while under the
    "compressing files" section - prolly compressing files that I
    rarely access or use. Don't know, never happened before, but
    Lil' Miss Windoze does lose her settings every now and then?
    Or is it just me? LOL! Anyways, I learnt meself a new one
    today, so it's a very good day!

    Thanks for the quick and insightful response - and much props
    to all you guys and gals who help out in here all the time -
    this group is just wonderful for those isolated moments of
    utter and complete cyber-insanity (et al.) - which seem to be
    happening to me more frequently lately. rotf-lmao!

    Thanks again!
    Bucky Breeder, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Bucky Breeder

    Hamman Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in message
    > SOS
    >
    > LOL! I couldn't resist having some pun with it, but it's a
    > serious inquiry.
    >
    > On one of my WinXP boxes, rather suddenly, and without any
    > incident which I can identify, other than I turned her off
    > yesterday, and turned on today, many of my file-titles have
    > turned blue: *.txt files, *.mp3 files, *.nfo files, etc. Not
    > all of them, only some of them, and I can't seem to identify
    > any pattern to it. They all seem to work normally enough.
    >
    > (Anyone think the "Queer-Eye" guys snucked in here last night
    > and redecorated my machinery for a "Punked" episode? Well, I
    > can't find any hidden cameras or Ashton Kutcher around here
    > either. No crop circles out in the corn field either. I
    > thought I saw one in the parking lot, but it turned out to be
    > from a motorcycle doing 'Rockfords' - burning rubber in
    > circles.) (o;
    >
    > Seriously, anyone ever have this blue-file thing happen or any
    > idea what could cause it? It doesn't seem to cause any other
    > problems other than giving me the paranoid willies.
    >

    > Thanks for any advice or insights into this weirdness.

    blue titles > NTFS compression
    green title > NTFS encryption
    Hamman, Apr 9, 2004
  5. > "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote
    > in message news:Xns94C696F364FD0xuigbv@216.196.105.138...

    >> On one of my WinXP boxes, rather suddenly, and without any
    >> incident which I can identify, other than I turned her off
    >> yesterday, and turned on today, many of my file-titles
    >> have turned blue: *.txt files, *.mp3 files, *.nfo files,
    >> etc. Not all of them, only some of them, and I can't seem
    >> to identify any pattern to it. They all seem to work
    >> normally enough.

    >> Seriously, anyone ever have this blue-file thing happen or
    >> any idea what could cause it? It doesn't seem to cause any
    >> other problems other than giving me the paranoid willies.
    >>

    >> Thanks for any advice or insights into this weirdness.

    "Hamman" <> wrote in

    > blue titles > NTFS compression
    > green title > NTFS encryption

    Thanks for the quick info! Found the switch in Windows
    Explorer > Tools > View ; down under the "Show.... in color"
    option. Mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I appreciate
    the heads-up on the color combos. I've noticed certain blue
    file names before, but I never knew where or why they came
    from because they seemed to be always in the Windows or the
    System 32 directories.

    I can see why Windows would have a feature to automatically
    compress rarely used or unused files, but I'm wondering what
    circumstances would invoke an NTFS encryption?

    Thanks again!
    Bucky Breeder, Apr 9, 2004