In the market for a Laptop.....Recommendations Apprecia

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Testiclees, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. Testiclees

    Testiclees Guest

    Testiclees, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Testiclees

    Fred Guest

    "Testiclees" <> wrote in message
    news:9t0Ed.225071$...
    > I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    > $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard drive,
    > 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do you
    > computer freaks out there think?
    >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3
    >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3
    >

    > http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

    I tried to find the answer to the same question when I decided to buy a
    computer. I soon found that it like trying to determine whether Ford or G.M.
    make better cars. If the answer was that clear, there would only be one
    manufacturer left by now. In the end I settled for a Dell. It has been
    absolutely brilliant. Now within five minutes someone else will post a
    message saying they are crap. So good luck!

    Fred, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Testiclees wrote:
    > I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    > $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
    > drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
    > do you computer freaks out there think?
    >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3
    >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3
    >

    > http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

    The third one is well over your budget.

    The second one has a faster processor than the first but with half the
    memory, has only wireless networking built in, no ethernet adapter, has
    1.5 hours estimated battery life.

    The first one (Acer) is barely within your budget but adds DVD dual
    layer burning capability and an ethernet port and is rated at 5 hours
    battery life and is Centrino.

    If you don't need the DVD burner, ethernet port and extremely long
    battery life, buy the Toshiba and add 256 megs of RAM, pocket a couple
    hundred bucks. Me, I'd get the Acer.

    There are other differences of course, but those are the main ones.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Fred wrote:
    > "Testiclees" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    >>$1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard drive,
    >>15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do you
    >>computer freaks out there think?
    >>

    >>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3
    >>

    >>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3
    >>

    >>http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

    > I tried to find the answer to the same question when I decided to buy a
    > computer. I soon found that it like trying to determine whether Ford or G.M.
    > make better cars. If the answer was that clear, there would only be one
    > manufacturer left by now. In the end I settled for a Dell. It has been
    > absolutely brilliant. Now within five minutes someone else will post a
    > message saying they are crap. So good luck!

    They are crap.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Testiclees

    Gee Guest

    > I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    > $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
    > drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
    > do you computer freaks out there think?

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3

    http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

    One of the best laptop makes are actually Dell. i have one of their P233
    laptops still working like a clock on 64Mb or Ram :) it has a stripe over
    the screen once it fell down when I slammed on brakes in my car, and I
    thought it would be dead, I have dropped it like gazzilion times, carried it
    around for years in good and less good bags and had it working hard for
    years.|They are made for quality and durability and Dell certanly knows
    theirjob.

    Vaio's are a popular choices for businessman here in UK, probably cos they
    are pretty and cool. Do not know about their longterm quality tho.

    Toshiba's are popular as much cheaper, so it does make you think twice.

    Never even heard Acer made laptops.

    I;d buy Dell again for sure.

    Gee, Jan 9, 2005
  6. Testiclees

    Fred Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> "Testiclees" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    >>>$1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
    >>>drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do
    >>>you computer freaks out there think?
    >>>

    >>>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3
    >>>

    >>>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3
    >>>

    >>>http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

    >> I tried to find the answer to the same question when I decided to buy a
    >> computer. I soon found that it like trying to determine whether Ford or
    >> G.M. make better cars. If the answer was that clear, there would only be
    >> one manufacturer left by now. In the end I settled for a Dell. It has
    >> been absolutely brilliant. Now within five minutes someone else will post
    >> a message saying they are crap. So good luck!

    > They are crap.

    That took 9 minutes.

    Fred, Jan 9, 2005
  7. Fred wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Fred wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Testiclees" <> wrote in message

    >>>I tried to find the answer to the same question when I decided to buy a
    >>>computer. I soon found that it like trying to determine whether Ford or
    >>>G.M. make better cars. If the answer was that clear, there would only be
    >>>one manufacturer left by now. In the end I settled for a Dell. It has
    >>>been absolutely brilliant. Now within five minutes someone else will post
    >>>a message saying they are crap. So good luck!

    >>They are crap.

    > That took 9 minutes.

    I had to feed the cat first.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 9, 2005
  8. Testiclees

    Plato Guest

    Testiclees wrote:

    > I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    > $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
    > drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
    > do you computer freaks out there think?

    Right now I'm thinking about that girl in college with the whips on her
    wall and I should have asked her about them.

    Plato, Jan 9, 2005
  9. Testiclees

    phrogee Guest

    > I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    > $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard drive,
    > 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do you
    > computer freaks out there think?
    >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3
    >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3
    >

    > http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A24D23558

    This goes to Dell Home.

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Jan 9, 2005
  10. Testiclees

    Tony Guest

    > I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    > $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard drive,
    > 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do you
    > computer freaks out there think?
    >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3
    >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3
    >

    > http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

    I personally would go for the Acer (I do own an Acer laptop as does several
    of my family and friends). Acer seem to give the highest spec for the
    money and they have been around for a long time (I used to own an old 486
    built by them).

    Wouldn't touch Dell with a barge poll.

    Tony, Jan 9, 2005
  11. Testiclees

    Gee Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Testiclees wrote:
    > > I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    > > $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
    > > drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
    > > do you computer freaks out there think?

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3

    http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

    > The third one is well over your budget.
    >
    > The second one has a faster processor than the first but with half the
    > memory, has only wireless networking built in, no ethernet adapter, has
    > 1.5 hours estimated battery life.
    >
    > The first one (Acer) is barely within your budget but adds DVD dual
    > layer burning capability and an ethernet port and is rated at 5 hours
    > battery life and is Centrino.
    >
    > If you don't need the DVD burner, ethernet port and extremely long
    > battery life, buy the Toshiba and add 256 megs of RAM, pocket a couple
    > hundred bucks. Me, I'd get the Acer.
    >
    > There are other differences of course, but those are the main ones.

    Roger you complained about Dell (we don;t know why), so I expected my better
    reasoning in your reply then this. You only talked quantity.

    Although quantity is important to a low level, quality is much more
    important as well as durability. What is the point of buying some cheap
    cr#p, which contains cheapest DVD recorder which will last exactly 5
    minutes? (I am not saying any of the examples given are, mine is just a
    general statement) You need to look at the bigger picture,and as buying a
    laptop is a higher purchase, you gotta get durability out of your money as
    well! Why would you wanna buy Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra, if you can get a
    BMW or Volvo. Quality and durability over price my friend. It will save you
    hours and pounds on ringing various support lines, which, we all know, are
    ever so good and quick - NOT.

    Dell may be a slightly more expensive but it's because it contain better
    quality parts. I dunno, I thought in computers that IS important - Roger!

    Besides, Dell has excellent Jan and July sales, so go for it. I;ve never
    heard ANYONE complain about their Dell laptop, and my friend who runs his
    own Tech Support business, advises nothing else to his clients. He has
    nothing to do with Dell on a business level. Its a pure quality and he
    always goes for quality.

    Gee, Jan 9, 2005
  12. On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:18:51 GMT, "Gee" <> wrote:

    >Dell may be a slightly more expensive but it's because it contain better
    >quality parts. I dunno, I thought in computers that IS important - Roger!
    >
    >Besides, Dell has excellent Jan and July sales, so go for it. I;ve never
    >heard ANYONE complain about their Dell laptop, and my friend who runs his
    >own Tech Support business, advises nothing else to his clients. He has
    >nothing to do with Dell on a business level. Its a pure quality and he
    >always goes for quality.

    Agreed. I've been doing tier 1&2 tech support for four years and I've
    seen far fewer hardware and mystery issues with Dells than any other
    brand. Also, the older the machine, the more likely it is to be a
    Dell or a custom built clone from a local shop.

    Of greatest importance to me, most manufacturers have been putting
    spyware or spyware installing apps on their pcs at he factory. HP
    Gateway computers seem especially bad about this.

    Old laptops are most often Toshibas though. Do a bit of research on
    those and Dell laptops on the net. Check BBB records for complaints
    about computer companies. Check your news server for groups on
    different brands of computers. Check them out and see what sort of
    hardware issues those brands seem to have and how old they are when
    they happen.

    Surprisingly, eMachines seem to do well also and with no spyware at
    all. Due likely to their lowball price, they get more new users and
    people who just don't know much about computing but even so, they seem
    to hold up. I've got one myself (inherited) and, for example, it took
    SP2 seamlessly. Never seen an eMachine laptop though. heh

    Bedwarmer

    --
    If electricity comes from electrons,
    does morality come from morons?

    Governor Swill, Jan 9, 2005
  13. Gee wrote:

    > Roger you complained about Dell (we don;t know why), so I expected my better
    > reasoning in your reply then this. You only talked quantity.
    >
    > Although quantity is important to a low level, quality is much more
    > important as well as durability. What is the point of buying some cheap
    > cr#p, which contains cheapest DVD recorder which will last exactly 5
    > minutes? (I am not saying any of the examples given are, mine is just a
    > general statement) You need to look at the bigger picture,and as buying a
    > laptop is a higher purchase, you gotta get durability out of your money as
    > well! Why would you wanna buy Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra, if you can get a
    > BMW or Volvo. Quality and durability over price my friend. It will save you
    > hours and pounds on ringing various support lines, which, we all know, are
    > ever so good and quick - NOT.
    >
    > Dell may be a slightly more expensive but it's because it contain better
    > quality parts. I dunno, I thought in computers that IS important - Roger!
    >
    > Besides, Dell has excellent Jan and July sales, so go for it. I;ve never
    > heard ANYONE complain about their Dell laptop, and my friend who runs his
    > own Tech Support business, advises nothing else to his clients. He has
    > nothing to do with Dell on a business level. Its a pure quality and he
    > always goes for quality.

    In my experience Toshiba and Acer laptops are pretty good. There are
    several brands I've had favorable impressions with, Dell sure as shit
    isn't one of them. I'll give you the point that they seem to be okay as
    far as quality, but about 14 months ago I bought one of their laptops on
    a rebate sale. After I sent them the money, they then owed me $300 back.
    In itself that makes no fucking sense to me at all. If they want to give
    me a discount just take it off of the price. But anyway, I spent the
    next EIGHT months getting angrier and angrier with Dell because each
    time I spoke with them they had a different lie to tell why the rebate
    hadn't been sent. Seriously, they were lying, lying, and lying some more
    about the rebate. I was left with such a serious case of "who took a
    shit in my mouth" that I will never buy another Dell product. There's
    too many companies out there that make good products and don't resort to
    such underhanded practices that there is no excuse for me to buy any
    further Dell products.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 9, 2005
  14. Testiclees

    PC Guest

    "Gee" <> wrote in message

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Testiclees wrote:
    >> > I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
    >> > $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
    >> > drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
    >> > do you computer freaks out there think?
    >> >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-115-160&DEPA=3
    >> >

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-114-105&depa=3
    >> >

    > http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K...121_9-31155590&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=
    >> >

    >> The third one is well over your budget.
    >>
    >> The second one has a faster processor than the first but with half the
    >> memory, has only wireless networking built in, no ethernet adapter, has
    >> 1.5 hours estimated battery life.
    >>
    >> The first one (Acer) is barely within your budget but adds DVD dual
    >> layer burning capability and an ethernet port and is rated at 5 hours
    >> battery life and is Centrino.
    >>
    >> If you don't need the DVD burner, ethernet port and extremely long
    >> battery life, buy the Toshiba and add 256 megs of RAM, pocket a couple
    >> hundred bucks. Me, I'd get the Acer.
    >>
    >> There are other differences of course, but those are the main ones.

    > Roger you complained about Dell (we don;t know why), so I expected my
    > better
    > reasoning in your reply then this. You only talked quantity.
    >
    > Although quantity is important to a low level, quality is much more
    > important as well as durability. What is the point of buying some cheap
    > cr#p, which contains cheapest DVD recorder which will last exactly 5
    > minutes? (I am not saying any of the examples given are, mine is just a
    > general statement) You need to look at the bigger picture,and as buying a
    > laptop is a higher purchase, you gotta get durability out of your money as
    > well! Why would you wanna buy Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra, if you can get
    > BMW or Volvo. Quality and durability over price my friend. It will save
    > you
    > hours and pounds on ringing various support lines, which, we all know, are
    > ever so good and quick - NOT.
    >
    > Dell may be a slightly more expensive but it's because it contain better
    > quality parts. I dunno, I thought in computers that IS important - Roger!
    >
    > Besides, Dell has excellent Jan and July sales, so go for it. I;ve never
    > heard ANYONE complain about their Dell laptop, and my friend who runs his
    > own Tech Support business, advises nothing else to his clients. He has
    > nothing to do with Dell on a business level. Its a pure quality and he
    > always goes for quality.

    Gee

    Gotta comment on the 'quality' issue.

    So what is 'quality' what is a 'quality' product?
    It's a definition that turns out to be relative, not absolute i.e. it's
    better/worse than (relative) versus its 55 on a scale of 100 (absolute)

    From a course I did on quality management quality could said to be: "Those
    features, attributes and characteristics 'you expect' to find in a product
    or service for the 'price paid'"
    Consequently what one buyer finds 'ideal' another finds 'crap' (tm)
    depending on the product or service meeting the buyers 'expectations' As
    such an expensive hand made product can be 'crap' if the buyer doesnt like
    it after a while, just the same as a cheap supermarket DVD player can be
    'quality' if it gives what the buyer expected.

    The classic example of buying a car that you used above is very good
    especially when one focuses on just one attribute of the purchase, eg the
    colour. To one person the colour is completely irrelevant they want
    durability, economy, small size way before the colour. On the other hand so
    often there are those people that will look at a cars colour first before
    even considering things like the seats, stereo, extra's, mag wheels.

    So which one is better?

    I'm not saying don't ask as this is one of the most effective ways of
    learning the state of play on any given product or service, but do list your
    requirements in order of priority so you know what attributes etc are more
    important to you.
    In the end it becomes the buyers choice but they the buyer have to decide
    what 'features, attributes and characteristics' they expect and is it
    reasonable to expect those for that price.

    Just my 2c worth

    Paul.

    PC, Jan 9, 2005
  15. Testiclees

    Gee Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message news:8NiEd.6417

    > Gee
    >
    > Gotta comment on the 'quality' issue.
    >
    > So what is 'quality' what is a 'quality' product?
    > It's a definition that turns out to be relative, not absolute i.e. it's
    > better/worse than (relative) versus its 55 on a scale of 100 (absolute)

    Argh, Paul, you are turning Froyd on me now LOL :)

    But yes, i see your point, but still, I believe quality is something that
    digs deeper then superficial issues such as color, size and number of extras
    included in purchase. Quality is about durability, do-ability and
    compatibility. Although yes, some people WILL go for color first/only, we
    should be the ones telling them to dig dipper and scratch under the
    surface,find out a lil bit more about the item before they buy. Women
    admitingly tend to be the ones who go for "looks" rather then quality. I am
    the one, and looks are very important to me. But luckily i do tend to
    investigate quality as well, cos i dont wanna spend fortune on 1£ a min tech
    supports and stress myself to an early grave with some PC problem! :) And I
    do always advise my girls on any electrical purchase,cos yes they would go
    just for the superficial issues. Saying that, women will do a triple
    research on food before they buy it, so you go figure. And Im not saying
    women are superficial in any way, men also go for "looks" when it comes to
    women :) Its all taste i suppose. Which is where we all need some help when
    making that all important HP!

    This reminded me of my first PC purchased in 1996.I researched a whole bunch
    of computer magazines for quality and pricing, and set my eyes on final 3.
    Dell, Dan technology and ??? (can;t rememeber). What made me choose my final
    one? Well, I love animals and am dying to have a dog. So, while checking the
    extras, Dan offered a free copy of Microsoft Dogs software :) That was it. I
    bought Dan,because of MS Dogs! :) OK, it was a pure quality as well so it
    was the right choice.

    So basically yeah, people do want different things, true,a dn the importance
    of things are sure varied, but deep down, I strongly believe everybody
    should check the quality before buying anything worth more then £50!

    Gee, Jan 10, 2005
  16. Testiclees

    PC Guest

    "Gee" <> wrote in message

    > "PC" <> wrote in message news:8NiEd.6417
    >
    >> Gee
    >>
    >> Gotta comment on the 'quality' issue.
    >>
    >> So what is 'quality' what is a 'quality' product?
    >> It's a definition that turns out to be relative, not absolute i.e. it's
    >> better/worse than (relative) versus its 55 on a scale of 100 (absolute)

    > Argh, Paul, you are turning Froyd on me now LOL :)
    >
    > But yes, i see your point, but still, I believe quality is something that
    > digs deeper then superficial issues such as color, size and number of
    > extras
    > included in purchase. Quality is about durability, do-ability and
    > compatibility. Although yes, some people WILL go for color first/only, we
    > should be the ones telling them to dig dipper and scratch under the
    > surface,find out a lil bit more about the item before they buy. Women
    > admitingly tend to be the ones who go for "looks" rather then quality. I
    > am
    > the one, and looks are very important to me. But luckily i do tend to
    > investigate quality as well, cos i dont wanna spend fortune on 1£ a min
    > tech
    > supports and stress myself to an early grave with some PC problem! :) And
    > do always advise my girls on any electrical purchase,cos yes they would go
    > just for the superficial issues. Saying that, women will do a triple
    > research on food before they buy it, so you go figure. And Im not saying
    > women are superficial in any way, men also go for "looks" when it comes to
    > women :) Its all taste i suppose. Which is where we all need some help
    > when
    > making that all important HP!
    >
    > This reminded me of my first PC purchased in 1996.I researched a whole
    > bunch
    > of computer magazines for quality and pricing, and set my eyes on final 3.
    > Dell, Dan technology and ??? (can;t rememeber). What made me choose my
    > final
    > one? Well, I love animals and am dying to have a dog. So, while checking
    > the
    > extras, Dan offered a free copy of Microsoft Dogs software :) That was it.
    > bought Dan,because of MS Dogs! :) OK, it was a pure quality as well so it
    > was the right choice.
    >
    > So basically yeah, people do want different things, true,a dn the
    > importance
    > of things are sure varied, but deep down, I strongly believe everybody
    > should check the quality before buying anything worth more then £50!

    Gee

    LOL, the joys of English.

    No not going Freudian on you, just offering an opinion. Mind you it's based
    on 35 years in the 'Quality' game.

    I was going to mention gender re the colour comment, having seen it several
    times first hand, but at the end of the day a quality is a quality, all a
    gender comment does is accentuate that the value of any given quality is in
    the eye of the beholder, so to speak.

    What I would comment on if I may, is your 'durability, do-ability and
    compatibility' definition for quality.
    Surely you sell yourself short by restricting 'quality' to these three
    attributes, what about (for example) Fitness of purpose, Reliability,
    Flexibility, Availability, Repeatability, Consistency, Cost, Efficiency,
    Ergonomics ... no doubt there are a whole heap more if one thought about it
    long enough. As such I would argue that durability, do-ability &
    compatibility are simply 'descriptors' of quality, as are the others I
    mentioned.

    What quality is all about is finding the descriptors relevant to the product
    or service under consideration.
    For example age may be a quality one would look for in a Whiskey, but not in
    a Woodscrew. Colour is important for Flowers but not so important for
    building paper. Having described the qualities one expects in the product or
    service one puts a 'value' on those qualities to allow a judgment of the
    product or services
    in comparison to others.

    As I said previously asking one's peers is a very legitimate research tool
    for determining if a product meets one's needs. The trick so to speak is to
    elicit information not mentioned, that does not have as good a comparison
    value to competitors products. i.e. what attribute of the product would put
    me off it that is not 'published' but that I expect to be there anyway. The
    'Assume' factor, "I assume the box includes...."
    A word that can make an 'Ass' out of 'u' and 'me' when assumptions are not
    met.

    So lets go back to the OP of this thread. To me the OP is asking firstly:

    Of the laptops asked about how do the published attributes compare as seen
    by someone who has closely examined these attributes.

    Secondly the OP is asking (though not expressed as such):

    What 'unpublished' qualities should I know about. Qualities that others with
    direct experience of the product have found not to meet what was 'expected'
    (the 'assume' factor again)

    Of these 'unpublished' qualities the one's in my experience that have the
    most importance are Fitness for purpose, Reliability and Consistency.

    Why?

    Fitness for purpose.
    Suppose one want's to bang a nail into something. Any sort of Hammer will
    do, but if it has an inappropriate face preventing accurate blows then it is
    not fit. Yet it is a 'Hammer' and meets all the other descriptors of a
    Hammer (weight, shape, handle etc) . The buyer in this case is sorely
    disappointed in their purchase whereas another buyer may purchase another
    brand/type of hammer for exactly the same job and find it works perfectly.
    Both in fact may be of the highest manufacturing standard never the less of
    the two one is 'crap' the other 'quality'

    Reliability
    A service is probably a good example to use here. Lets say a home cleaner,
    reliable? yep turns up every day. Versus the unreliable one that doesn't.
    But now lets say that the reliable one is not a very good cleaner, whereas
    the unreliable one does a brilliant cleaning job. What is the 'quality of
    these two? Based on reliability it's clear-cut, but when you throw in the
    other attributes it suddenly becomes harder. Which of course points to
    rating the worth or value of any given attribute.

    Consistency
    Of the three this one is often the easiest to measure and yet the hardest.
    Example a mixed nut chocolate bar. Each bite of the Chocolate bar was
    consistent with the last. Now this does not mean the same, identical or even
    similar but within the range of flavours that (in this case) a mixture of
    nuts would impart. Even more so a consistent Mixed nut chocolate bar would
    give the same range of flavours bar after bar after bar. Perhaps in the
    Laptop field a consistent feature may be clear instructive manuals, model
    after model...

    Overall once the product demonstrates it's ability to do the job to an
    acceptable performance level, then usually the most important thing is that
    it keeps doing it ad infinitum, i.e. reliably. I would argue that this is
    what the OP really wants to know.

    Enuf already she said!!!!!!!

    Hey been there, done that with PC purchases. Spreadsheets, brochures etc.
    Can't say bundled software has ever swayed me, but then throw in some extra
    ram or a USB gadget and I'm all ears. As marketing types will acknowledge,
    just about every one has their price.

    Cuppa time
    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 10, 2005
  17. Testiclees

    Gee Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message news:rSqEd.6547

    > I was going to mention gender re the colour comment, having seen it

    several
    > times first hand, but at the end of the day a quality is a quality, all a
    > gender comment does is accentuate that the value of any given quality is

    in
    > the eye of the beholder, so to speak.

    > What I would comment on if I may, is your 'durability, do-ability and
    > compatibility' definition for quality.
    > Surely you sell yourself short by restricting 'quality' to these three
    > attributes, what about (for example) Fitness of purpose, Reliability,
    > Flexibility, Availability, Repeatability, Consistency, Cost, Efficiency,
    > Ergonomics ...

    True, all of that are important. And most are a part of what Id assume
    "quality" (reliability and consistency comes with durability, flexibility
    with compatibilty,efficiency with doability. Potaoes - Potatoes :)

    > What quality is all about is finding the descriptors relevant to the

    product
    > or service under consideration.

    True.

    > For example age may be a quality one would look for in a Whiskey, but not

    in
    > a Woodscrew. Colour is important for Flowers but not so important for
    > building paper.

    Aah, strongly disagree with this one! :) As a woman, building/room color is
    higly important.Ask any woman :)

    > Having described the qualities one expects in the product or
    > service one puts a 'value' on those qualities to allow a judgment of the
    > product or services in comparison to others.

    I can see what you are saying, and in some cases that is true.But still,
    since we can all be shortsited, im just saying that those who DO know
    better, and can see our potential mistake,should stand up and say so, so
    that we can then take notice of more important quality issues then
    color,cost and extras, at least when it comes to electrical purchases.

    > So lets go back to the OP of this thread. To me the OP is asking firstly:
    >
    > Of the laptops asked about how do the published attributes compare as seen
    > by someone who has closely examined these attributes.
    >
    > Secondly the OP is asking (though not expressed as such):
    >
    > What 'unpublished' qualities should I know about. Qualities that others

    with
    > direct experience of the product have found not to meet what was

    'expected'
    > (the 'assume' factor again)
    >
    > Of these 'unpublished' qualities the one's in my experience that have the
    > most importance are Fitness for purpose, Reliability and Consistency.

    >... Overall once the product demonstrates it's ability to do the job to an
    > acceptable performance level, then usually the most important thing is

    that
    > it keeps doing it ad infinitum, i.e. reliably. I would argue that this is
    > what the OP really wants to know.

    Agreed. So we are here to help and offer advice on what we consider a
    quality and "better" product then the next one,and why. And so we did :)

    > Enuf already she said!!!!!!!

    LOL :) Naah it was an interesting reading.

    Gee, Jan 10, 2005
  18. Testiclees

    PC Guest

    Hi Gee

    <big snip>
    >> a Woodscrew. Colour is important for Flowers but not so important for
    >> building paper.

    > Aah, strongly disagree with this one! :) As a woman, building/room color
    > is
    > higly important.Ask any woman :)

    Aha, appologies, I've just made an Ass out of u and me. What was in my mind
    was the building paper that goes over the timber framework before the
    external cladding (bricks, weatherboard) goes on. In this case colour is
    immaterial as once the cladding goes on it's never seen again. May I
    speculate your thoughts were internal 'wall paper' for which colour 'is'
    important.

    <another big snip>

    > Agreed. So we are here to help and offer advice on what we consider a
    > quality and "better" product then the next one,and why. And so we did :)

    Ditto.

    As they say,
    Yo hava nice day now!

    Cheers