In need of assistance!!!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Tigarr, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Tigarr

    Tigarr Guest

    first of all, I've been using Thunderbird for quite some time now - and
    I liked it... until now.

    I went online and as usual, I checked for e-mails. Had a few, no problem.
    But when I go to reply to them, I can't!
    it gives me this:

    Alert - An error occured while sending mail. Mail server responded -
    permit denied. Please verify that your e-mail address is correct in you
    Mail preferences and try again.

    needless to say, I've NEVER touched anything in the preferences since I
    set the account up. I went under account settings and everything is the
    way it is supposed to be. I ran complete sweeps on my computer for
    spyware and viruses (found none) and I checked with my ISP, no problems
    there.

    I can receive e-mails fine, but I can not send any! It is VERY frustrating.
    I tried making a new account and putting new settings in - same result.

    if anyone has a solution to this, please let me know!!!!
    oh, and since Thunderbird also handles Newsgroups, just to mention -
    those work properly too.
    Tigarr, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Tigarr

    gwtc Guest

    Tigarr wrote:

    > first of all, I've been using Thunderbird for quite some time now - and
    > I liked it... until now.
    >
    > I went online and as usual, I checked for e-mails. Had a few, no problem.
    > But when I go to reply to them, I can't!
    > it gives me this:
    >
    > Alert - An error occured while sending mail. Mail server responded -
    > permit denied. Please verify that your e-mail address is correct in you
    > Mail preferences and try again.
    >
    > needless to say, I've NEVER touched anything in the preferences since I
    > set the account up. I went under account settings and everything is the
    > way it is supposed to be. I ran complete sweeps on my computer for
    > spyware and viruses (found none) and I checked with my ISP, no problems
    > there.
    >
    > I can receive e-mails fine, but I can not send any! It is VERY frustrating.
    > I tried making a new account and putting new settings in - same result.
    >
    > if anyone has a solution to this, please let me know!!!!
    > oh, and since Thunderbird also handles Newsgroups, just to mention -
    > those work properly too.

    Just to let you know, but sending and receive email are two different
    protocols. And email and newsgroups are also separate protocols.
    They are not related.

    Close down TB, and start in Safe Mode. Do you have the same problem?
    If not, then it might be an extension causing the problem. If so,
    then close TB again, and start the Profile Manager. Create a new
    profile and test it out in that one. Does the problem continue in the
    new profile? If not, then you have a bad profile. Report back and
    someone will help you transfering over. If so, then you have something
    is wrong somewhere else. Report back and someone will help you with that.

    You profile is where all your mail, newsgroups, preferences, and
    settings are stored.
    gwtc, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Tigarr

    Tigarr Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > Just to let you know, but sending and receive email are two different
    > protocols. And email and newsgroups are also separate protocols. They
    > are not related.
    >
    > Close down TB, and start in Safe Mode. Do you have the same problem?
    > If not, then it might be an extension causing the problem. If so, then
    > close TB again, and start the Profile Manager. Create a new profile and
    > test it out in that one. Does the problem continue in the new profile?
    > If not, then you have a bad profile. Report back and someone will help
    > you transfering over. If so, then you have something is wrong somewhere
    > else. Report back and someone will help you with that.
    >
    > You profile is where all your mail, newsgroups, preferences, and
    > settings are stored.

    I know they are seperate (as well as newsgroups) but the TB program does
    handle it all. (SMTP with outgoing, mail with incoming)

    I just tried it in safe mode.. same problem. (I had tried creating a new
    profile earlier with the same result).. can receive, cannot send.

    any advice would be greatly appreciated.. I'm nearly ready to pull my
    hair out over here. Just find it odd it worked on my current ISP
    perfectly from June 29th (when I signed on to Comcast) until yesterday
    then this morning decided to stop working properly. (my last e-mail I
    was able to send was around 3:30 pm yesterday) (just before bed - I work
    late at night)
    Tigarr, Nov 30, 2005
  4. Tigarr

    Faun Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > any advice would be greatly appreciated.. I'm nearly ready to pull my
    > hair out over here. Just find it odd it worked on my current ISP

    Just to test whether you can send at all, try downloading some small e-
    mail client and set this up and have a go. If that works, then you have
    something wrong with your T-bird installation, if this doesn't work
    either, using the data your ISP gave you, then it's time to contact
    them.

    I suggest the following client (I ditched the over-bloated TB for it),
    easy to use, easy to set up, small, and free (doesn't require a setup if
    you choose the ZIP version), but it doesn't do news:
    http://www.memecode.com/scribe.php

    Good luck.

    F.
    Faun, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Tigarr

    Tigarr Guest

    Tigarr wrote:
    > first of all, I've been using Thunderbird for quite some time now - and
    > I liked it... until now.
    >
    > I went online and as usual, I checked for e-mails. Had a few, no problem.
    > But when I go to reply to them, I can't!
    > it gives me this:
    >
    > Alert - An error occured while sending mail. Mail server responded -
    > permit denied. Please verify that your e-mail address is correct in you
    > Mail preferences and try again.
    >
    > needless to say, I've NEVER touched anything in the preferences since I
    > set the account up. I went under account settings and everything is the
    > way it is supposed to be. I ran complete sweeps on my computer for
    > spyware and viruses (found none) and I checked with my ISP, no problems
    > there.
    >
    > I can receive e-mails fine, but I can not send any! It is VERY frustrating.
    > I tried making a new account and putting new settings in - same result.
    >
    > if anyone has a solution to this, please let me know!!!!
    > oh, and since Thunderbird also handles Newsgroups, just to mention -
    > those work properly too.

    an update...

    it seems that my ISP / Thunderbird is having issues with sending e-mails
    to any Hotmail account. I was able to send to a couple yahoo ones as
    well as some newsgroups (like here) and yahoo groups.. but when I try to
    send to a couple of my friends who only have Hotmail.com accounts, that
    is when the error occurs. It gives me a 550 error : permit denied.

    Anyone have any inkling what that is?
    I checked on Hotmail's website and it says the servers are all up and
    running.

    Could it be on hotmail's end or my ISP's end?

    thanks again.
    Tigarr, Nov 30, 2005
  6. Tigarr

    gwtc Guest

    Tigarr wrote:

    > Tigarr wrote:
    >
    >>first of all, I've been using Thunderbird for quite some time now - and
    >>I liked it... until now.
    >>
    >>I went online and as usual, I checked for e-mails. Had a few, no problem.
    >>But when I go to reply to them, I can't!
    >>it gives me this:
    >>
    >>Alert - An error occured while sending mail. Mail server responded -
    >>permit denied. Please verify that your e-mail address is correct in you
    >>Mail preferences and try again.
    >>
    >>needless to say, I've NEVER touched anything in the preferences since I
    >>set the account up. I went under account settings and everything is the
    >>way it is supposed to be. I ran complete sweeps on my computer for
    >>spyware and viruses (found none) and I checked with my ISP, no problems
    >>there.
    >>
    >>I can receive e-mails fine, but I can not send any! It is VERY frustrating.
    >>I tried making a new account and putting new settings in - same result.
    >>
    >>if anyone has a solution to this, please let me know!!!!
    >>oh, and since Thunderbird also handles Newsgroups, just to mention -
    >>those work properly too.
    >>

    > an update...
    >
    > it seems that my ISP / Thunderbird is having issues with sending e-mails
    > to any Hotmail account. I was able to send to a couple yahoo ones as
    > well as some newsgroups (like here) and yahoo groups.. but when I try to
    > send to a couple of my friends who only have Hotmail.com accounts, that
    > is when the error occurs. It gives me a 550 error : permit denied.
    >
    > Anyone have any inkling what that is?
    > I checked on Hotmail's website and it says the servers are all up and
    > running.
    >
    > Could it be on hotmail's end or my ISP's end?
    >
    > thanks again.

    I believe the problem is Hotmail. They're blocking messages from your
    server.
    gwtc, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Tigarr

    Tigarr Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > I believe the problem is Hotmail. They're blocking messages from your
    > server.

    I almost had another error (said Tempfail on it) but when I tried it a
    second time (this was through a multi-e-mail list) it went through...

    so it's just hotmail right now...

    ok... I went to hotmail's website.. (even made an account with them) and
    sent them an e-mail asking about this, but haven't heard a response....

    just odd that for months now it's worked and suddenly they block? (and
    nothing on the hotmail website says anything about this)
    Tigarr, Dec 1, 2005
  8. Tigarr

    Tigarr Guest

    Tigarr wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> I believe the problem is Hotmail. They're blocking messages from your
    >> server.

    > I almost had another error (said Tempfail on it) but when I tried it a
    > second time (this was through a multi-e-mail list) it went through...
    >
    > so it's just hotmail right now...
    >
    > ok... I went to hotmail's website.. (even made an account with them) and
    > sent them an e-mail asking about this, but haven't heard a response....
    >
    > just odd that for months now it's worked and suddenly they block? (and
    > nothing on the hotmail website says anything about this)

    ok...another update... seems like it's not my ISP entirely... and it's
    not being blocked on purpose.

    According to my ISP (Comcast), they are reporting that MSN & Hotmail are
    experiencing problems receiving e-mail from certain domains (such as
    Comcast) and if unable to send, try sending message again at a later
    time. Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working to resolve it as
    soon as possible.

    and here I thought it was Thunderbird at first.. :p
    Tigarr, Dec 1, 2005
  9. Tigarr wrote:
    > Tigarr wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>
    >>> I believe the problem is Hotmail. They're blocking messages from
    >>> your server.

    >> I almost had another error (said Tempfail on it) but when I tried it a
    >> second time (this was through a multi-e-mail list) it went through...
    >>
    >> so it's just hotmail right now...
    >>
    >> ok... I went to hotmail's website.. (even made an account with them)
    >> and sent them an e-mail asking about this, but haven't heard a
    >> response....
    >>
    >> just odd that for months now it's worked and suddenly they block? (and
    >> nothing on the hotmail website says anything about this)

    > ok...another update... seems like it's not my ISP entirely... and it's
    > not being blocked on purpose.
    >
    > According to my ISP (Comcast), they are reporting that MSN & Hotmail are
    > experiencing problems receiving e-mail from certain domains (such as
    > Comcast) and if unable to send, try sending message again at a later
    > time. Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working to resolve it as
    > soon as possible.
    >
    > and here I thought it was Thunderbird at first.. :p

    Why do you want to use hotmail anyway, if it's
    not to rude to ask? If you rather feel like
    using gmail, let me know, as I still have invites.

    Paula
    Dustyfan nieuws, Dec 1, 2005
  10. Tigarr

    Tigarr Guest

    Dustyfan nieuws wrote:

    > Why do you want to use hotmail anyway, if it's not to rude to ask? If
    > you rather feel like using gmail, let me know, as I still have invites.
    >
    > Paula

    I have 2 very special (close) friends and the only way to keep in
    contact with them is via e-mail (as of right now)... and it just happens
    that both of them use Hotmail (and only hotmail) - so, until hotmail and
    my ISP clear up the problem - I have to go to hotmail's site and e-mail
    them directly from there.

    and no, it's not too rude to ask.. :)

    Will
    Tigarr, Dec 1, 2005
  11. Tigarr wrote:
    > Dustyfan nieuws wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you want to use hotmail anyway, if it's not to rude to ask? If
    >> you rather feel like using gmail, let me know, as I still have invites.
    >>
    >> Paula

    > I have 2 very special (close) friends and the only way to keep in
    > contact with them is via e-mail (as of right now)... and it just happens
    > that both of them use Hotmail (and only hotmail) - so, until hotmail and
    > my ISP clear up the problem - I have to go to hotmail's site and e-mail
    > them directly from there.
    >
    > and no, it's not too rude to ask.. :)
    >
    > Will

    You could do the same from Gmail. I have accounts with both, and I do
    find Gmail superior. Whatever keeps the communication up though!

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  12. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Tigarr wrote:
    >> Dustyfan nieuws wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why do you want to use hotmail anyway, if it's not to rude to ask? If
    >>> you rather feel like using gmail, let me know, as I still have invites.
    >>>
    >>> Paula

    >> I have 2 very special (close) friends and the only way to keep in
    >> contact with them is via e-mail (as of right now)... and it just
    >> happens that both of them use Hotmail (and only hotmail) - so, until
    >> hotmail and my ISP clear up the problem - I have to go to hotmail's
    >> site and e-mail them directly from there.
    >>
    >> and no, it's not too rude to ask.. :)
    >>
    >> Will

    > You could do the same from Gmail. I have accounts with both, and I do
    > find Gmail superior. Whatever keeps the communication up though!
    >
    > Lee

    Well, my invites are still available. :)

    Paula
    Dustyfan nieuws, Dec 2, 2005
  13. Dustyfan nieuws wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Tigarr wrote:

    >>> I have 2 very special (close) friends and the only way to keep in
    >>> contact with them is via e-mail (as of right now)... and it just
    >>> happens that both of them use Hotmail (and only hotmail) - so, until
    >>> hotmail and my ISP clear up the problem - I have to go to hotmail's
    >>> site and e-mail them directly from there.
    >>>
    >>> and no, it's not too rude to ask.. :)
    >>>
    >>> Will

    >> You could do the same from Gmail. I have accounts with both, and I do
    >> find Gmail superior. Whatever keeps the communication up though!
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Well, my invites are still available. :)
    >
    > Paula

    Mine too!

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2005