    I guess time will tell.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 19, 2005

  2. cowboyz

    Daniel Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > I was looking at this
    >
    > http://news.com.com/Images Sony off...page 2/2009-1043_3-5710489-2.html?tag=st.next
    >

    > and I can't help but think that these are just startup sequences or cut
    > scenes rather than actual gameplay. We see it all the time when
    > companies are trying to show us how great their systems are.
    > Personally, I couldn't give a crap if the startup sequence looks like a
    > video.. They may have well used a video. What about in the game.
    > What are we going to see when we are playing the game.
    >
    > I guess time will tell.

    Well, I've downloaded both the Unreal Tournament 2007 movies from
    Gamespot. In one of them they demonstrate the PS3 actually rendering the
    graphics in realtime.

    All, I can say is that those graphics were **A M A Z I N G**.

    Daniel, May 19, 2005

  3. cowboyz

    Jedmeister Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> I was looking at this
    >>
    >> http://news.com.com/Images Sony off...page 2/2009-1043_3-5710489-2.html?tag=st.next
    >> and I can't help but think that these are just startup sequences or cut
    >> scenes rather than actual gameplay. We see it all the time when
    >> companies are trying to show us how great their systems are. Personally,
    >> I couldn't give a crap if the startup sequence looks like a video..
    >> They may have well used a video. What about in the game. What are we
    >> going to see when we are playing the game.
    >>
    >> I guess time will tell.
    >>

    > Well, I've downloaded both the Unreal Tournament 2007 movies from
    > Gamespot. In one of them they demonstrate the PS3 actually rendering the
    > graphics in realtime.
    >
    > All, I can say is that those graphics were **A M A Z I N G**.

    Hope it is true, and will believe only when i see it. The next step in
    graphics will be to go from the 'cartoon' to the 'reality' look. Will the
    PS3 accomplish this? eg, gt4 on the ps2 looks quite real from some angles,
    but largely the textures in the look blocky.

    Jedmeister, May 19, 2005
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:59:35 +1200, Jedmeister <>
    wrote:

    > Hope it is true, and will believe only when i see it. The next step in
    > graphics will be to go from the 'cartoon' to the 'reality' look. Will
    > the
    > PS3 accomplish this? eg, gt4 on the ps2 looks quite real from some
    > angles,
    > but largely the textures in the look blocky.

    I find the best games are ones like beyond good and evil where they don't
    try to make things look real but try to make things look great in a game
    atmosphere.

    I played BGAE and splinter cell 2 at the same time and found myself more
    impressed with the gfx in BGAE even though SC2 was great. (oh yeah,
    playing on a 9800pro before someone says the standard.. "well you should
    play it on a good gfx card and see all the special effects.. blah blah
    blah")

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 19, 2005
  5. Hi there,

    cowboyz wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:59:35 +1200, Jedmeister <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hope it is true, and will believe only when i see it. The next step in
    >> graphics will be to go from the 'cartoon' to the 'reality' look.
    >> Will the
    >> PS3 accomplish this? eg, gt4 on the ps2 looks quite real from some
    >> angles,
    >> but largely the textures in the look blocky.

    > I find the best games are ones like beyond good and evil where they
    > don't try to make things look real but try to make things look great in
    > a game atmosphere.
    >
    > I played BGAE and splinter cell 2 at the same time and found myself
    > more impressed with the gfx in BGAE even though SC2 was great. (oh
    > yeah, playing on a 9800pro before someone says the standard.. "well you
    > should play it on a good gfx card and see all the special effects..

    RealStorm looks to be an interesting concept. Ray rendering is
    usually minutes or hours per frame, but these guys have somehow
    optimised the rendering to allow 'realtime' frame rates. Its not
    the same quality as full raytraced rendering, but hey! I ran
    the latest benchmark from them, and got 12-14 fps at 1024x768.
    Before you laugh remember thats scanline ray-rendered, with
    no use of the GPU at all, just CPU (Athlon64 3000+ in my case).

    I'd be interested to see what the speed would be like with a
    good linux cluster, since the demo I ran was a Windows app run
    under wine emulator on my 64-bit Linux... :)

    My hope is that someone clever can design a PCI-E card that has
    2-4 powerful RISC FPU's on it, for massive bandwidth rendering of
    raytrace data, similar to what multinode SGI's can do...

    Here is a screenshot from the RealStorm site...

    http://www.realstorm.com/realstorm/data/SSN_01.jpg

    This is a raytraced shot by Gilles Tran, a french POV-ray maestro.
    If game graphics could look like that one day.. <sigh!>

    http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/images/vendre_1200x1600.jpg

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 20, 2005
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:39:25 +1200, Chris Wilkinson <>
    wrote:

    > RealStorm looks to be an interesting concept. Ray rendering is
    > usually minutes or hours per frame, but these guys have somehow
    > optimised the rendering to allow 'realtime' frame rates. Its not
    > the same quality as full raytraced rendering, but hey! I ran
    > the latest benchmark from them, and got 12-14 fps at 1024x768.
    > Before you laugh remember thats scanline ray-rendered, with
    > no use of the GPU at all, just CPU (Athlon64 3000+ in my case).
    > I'd be interested to see what the speed would be like with a
    > good linux cluster, since the demo I ran was a Windows app run
    > under wine emulator on my 64-bit Linux... My hope is that someone
    > clever can design a PCI-E card that has
    > 2-4 powerful RISC FPU's on it, for massive bandwidth rendering of
    > raytrace data, similar to what multinode SGI's can do...

    looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg ram I
    get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest settings I get
    25fps.

    I see my machine as a midrange gaming machine where I believe game makers
    are targetting for their games to play smoothly. This raytracing does
    look good but it either needs some more optimizing or waiting till
    hardware catches up a bit.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 20, 2005
  7. Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > My hope is that someone clever can design a PCI-E card that has
    > 2-4 powerful RISC FPU's on it, for massive bandwidth rendering of
    > raytrace data, similar to what multinode SGI's can do...

    a Physics Processing Unit(PPU) maybe?
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21648
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22592

    http://www.ageia.com/
    Look for more news in the next couple of days.

    Apparently there was a wicked game that although simple, was great
    simply because it was fun to do hard turns and the charactor would damn
    near fall over... ahhh, simple amusment.

    > Here is a screenshot from the RealStorm site...
    > http://www.realstorm.com/realstorm/data/SSN_01.jpg
    > This is a raytraced shot by Gilles Tran, a french POV-ray maestro.
    > If game graphics could look like that one day.. <sigh!>
    > http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/images/vendre_1200x1600.jpg

    This may sound odd, but real life doesnt look that clean, and that clear
    cut, it seems to me that the games need to get dirtyer, and more mundane
    to get more like real life... but then again, would we play them if it
    were that real?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  8. cowboyz wrote:
    > looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg ram
    > I get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest settings
    > I get 25fps.

    Indeed it does look good, however at 0.08fps for me it was almost
    unbearable... 10 seconds for a frame, wow.

    > I see my machine as a midrange gaming machine where I believe game
    > makers are targetting for their games to play smoothly. This
    > raytracing does look good but it either needs some more optimizing or
    > waiting till hardware catches up a bit.

    This was just on my work machine, P4 2.8, 512MB ram, the rest is rubbish.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg
    >> ram I get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest
    >> settings I get 25fps.

    > Indeed it does look good, however at 0.08fps for me it was almost
    > unbearable... 10 seconds for a frame, wow.
    >
    >> I see my machine as a midrange gaming machine where I believe game
    >> makers are targetting for their games to play smoothly. This
    >> raytracing does look good but it either needs some more optimizing or
    >> waiting till hardware catches up a bit.

    > This was just on my work machine, P4 2.8, 512MB ram, the rest is rubbish.

    Can someone with an Athlon 64/FX/Opteron run this, I'm just interested
    in seeing what they're like.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg
    >>> ram I get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest
    >>> settings I get 25fps.

    >> Indeed it does look good, however at 0.08fps for me it was almost
    >> unbearable... 10 seconds for a frame, wow.

    >> This was just on my work machine, P4 2.8, 512MB ram, the rest is rubbish.

    > Can someone with an Athlon 64/FX/Opteron run this, I'm just interested
    > in seeing what they're like.

    This was a request, not a question... man, I'm losing it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg
    >>> ram I get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest
    >>> settings I get 25fps.

    >> Indeed it does look good, however at 0.08fps for me it was almost
    >> unbearable... 10 seconds for a frame, wow.

    >>> I see my machine as a midrange gaming machine where I believe game
    >>> makers are targetting for their games to play smoothly. This
    >>> raytracing does look good but it either needs some more optimizing
    >>> or waiting till hardware catches up a bit.

    >> This was just on my work machine, P4 2.8, 512MB ram, the rest is rubbish.

    > Can someone with an Athlon 64/FX/Opteron run this, I'm just interested
    > in seeing what they're like.

    never mind, I found their downloadable DB... man, they should really
    make that web-based.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  12. cowboyz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 09:39:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > This is a raytraced shot by Gilles Tran, a french POV-ray maestro. If game
    > graphics could look like that one day.. <sigh!>
    >
    > http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/images/vendre_1200x1600.jpg

    Is it just me, or is there nothing in that shot looks like it would
    benefit from raytracing?

    ie I can't really spot much reflection or refraction going on. It could
    probably just be done a lot quicker with standard shading techniques (plus
    maybe a little radiosity).

    Then again I'm well out of touch with doing that kind of stuff lately :)

    And it is very well done picture.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 20, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>> looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg
    >>> ram I get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest
    >>> settings I get 25fps.

    >> Indeed it does look good, however at 0.08fps for me it was almost
    >> unbearable... 10 seconds for a frame, wow.
    >>
    >>> I see my machine as a midrange gaming machine where I believe game
    >>> makers are targetting for their games to play smoothly. This
    >>> raytracing does look good but it either needs some more optimizing
    >>> or waiting till hardware catches up a bit.

    >> This was just on my work machine, P4 2.8, 512MB ram, the rest is rubbish.

    > Can someone with an Athlon 64/FX/Opteron run this, I'm just interested
    > in seeing what they're like.

    My Athlon64 3000+ gives 12-14 fps at 1024x768, buts thats with no
    radiosity, depth of field, or volume lites...try again without those
    on, should make it almost 'playable'... :)

    I'm running that under wine, the Linux Windows emulator, so I wonder
    if the performance I get is hampered (or improved)... :)

    Chris Wilkinson, May 20, 2005
  14. Hi there,

    AD. wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 09:39:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >

    >>This is a raytraced shot by Gilles Tran, a french POV-ray maestro. If game
    >>graphics could look like that one day.. <sigh!>
    >>
    >>http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/images/vendre_1200x1600.jpg

    > Is it just me, or is there nothing in that shot looks like it would
    > benefit from raytracing?
    >
    > ie I can't really spot much reflection or refraction going on. It could
    > probably just be done a lot quicker with standard shading techniques (plus
    > maybe a little radiosity).

    The sheer number of polys to create a scene like that would be
    huge. The best a decent 3D card could do would be a poor looking
    approximation...

    > Then again I'm well out of touch with doing that kind of stuff lately :)
    >
    > And it is very well done picture.

    Yes it is. Its just one of many this guy creates, all with a high
    level of technical excellence but a hint of disturbing surreality!

    I like that 'verging on the edge' of the real world kinda stuff...

    http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/assassin_rain.htm

    Each of those pictures has a links to others within the paragraph
    below the image...you can go for hours, and not sure where it leads
    but its mesmerising...

    Chris Wilkinson, May 20, 2005