    for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
    PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.

    Comments?

    Steven Lin, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Steven Lin

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 13-Aug-2003, (Steven Lin) wrote:

    > The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
    > for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
    > PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.

    Sounds like BS, but who cares. I assume you're talking about a memory card
    (not a microdrive) in which case fragmentation is a non-issue.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com

    Tom Thackrey, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Steven Lin

    Chris Watts Guest

    "Tom Thackrey" <> wrote in message

    > On 13-Aug-2003, (Steven Lin) wrote:
    >
    > > The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
    > > for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
    > > PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.

    > Sounds like BS, but who cares. I assume you're talking about a memory card
    > (not a microdrive) in which case fragmentation is a non-issue.

    Fragmentation on memory cards CAN be a problem, as the users of the X-S
    drive with the early firmware can attest to!
    I agree that it is irrelevant with a newly formatted card. But try taking
    several photos, deleting some and then taking more - likely result is
    fragmented memory. But any decent firmware/software can cope with that.

    Chris

    Chris Watts, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Steven Lin

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <orv_a.3173$9.net>, Chris Watts
    <> writes
    >Seems highly suspect to me.
    >But if you want to be ultra-sure then format first in a PC (in compliance
    >with those instructions) then do it again
    >in the camera (to ensure that the camera can right to it properly).
    >Chris
    >
    >"Steven Lin" <> wrote in message
    >> Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
    >> there's any truth to the following?
    >>
    >> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
    >> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
    >> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
    >>
    >> Comments?

    I presume, on an XP or NT system, you have to be sure to format as
    FAT32, and not NTFS. Is this so? And aren't some earlier cameras neither
    of these, so these *have* to be done in camera or on an older OS.
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Steven Lin

    Chris Watts Guest

    > But I'd have to dive a bit deeper to find an OS-based FAT/16 formatter
    > for my Coolpix. Or do what I'm doing at the moment - format in the
    > camera.

    There are lots of Win98 machines out there that allow it. But then I
    believe in formatting in the camera anyway.
    Chris

    Chris Watts, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Steven Lin

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Steven Lin wrote:

    > Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
    > there's any truth to the following?
    >
    > The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
    > for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
    > PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
    >
    > Comments?

    First, it really doesn't MATTER as flash cards aren't written on in the
    same way as regular hard disks. Also, they have no mechanical aspects,
    so things like rotational latency and track to track access times are
    meaningless.
    If you delete all the files on a CF card, it should be as 'defragmented'
    as it can get.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Steven Lin

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Alan F Cross wrote:

    > In message <orv_a.3173$9.net>, Chris Watts
    > <> writes
    >
    >> Seems highly suspect to me.
    >> But if you want to be ultra-sure then format first in a PC (in compliance
    >> with those instructions) then do it again
    >> in the camera (to ensure that the camera can right to it properly).
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> "Steven Lin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
    >>> there's any truth to the following?
    >>>
    >>> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
    >>> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
    >>> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
    >>>
    >>> Comments?

    > I presume, on an XP or NT system, you have to be sure to format as
    > FAT32, and not NTFS. Is this so? And aren't some earlier cameras neither
    > of these, so these *have* to be done in camera or on an older OS.

    NO!
    In any system you MUST specify FAT16 unless you have one of the large
    capacity memory cards formatted in FAT32 (larger than 2 gig.), AND a
    camera that can use FAT32!!

    Ron Hunter, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Steven Lin

    Ender W. Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:29:06 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Steven Lin wrote:
    >
    >> Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
    >> there's any truth to the following?
    >>
    >> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
    >> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
    >> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
    >>
    >> Comments?

    >First, it really doesn't MATTER as flash cards aren't written on in the
    >same way as regular hard disks. Also, they have no mechanical aspects,
    >so things like rotational latency and track to track access times are
    >meaningless.
    >If you delete all the files on a CF card, it should be as 'defragmented'
    > as it can get.

    That's a fact! But if you really want to be sure, format it in the
    camera. There is no value in formatting it with the OS. After you
    delete all the pictures off the card, just look in the directory.
    There are no files!

    GH

    Ender W., Aug 14, 2003
  9. Steven Lin

    Steven Lin Guest

    (Steven Lin) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
    > there's any truth to the following?
    >
    > The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
    > for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
    > PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
    >
    > Comments?

    Just following up. I've done a bit of research and while I haven't
    found any evidence that in-camera formatting is any different from a
    PC, I did discover some information about flash memory.

    If power is lost when writing to flash a logical error can occur in
    the corresponding sector. Writes to that sector are disabled. This
    is possibly what my CF card manufacturer meant by fragmentation. The
    sectors can only be reused by formatting the flash again.

    --
    Steven

    Steven Lin, Aug 15, 2003