    in terms of image quality and available lenses. And of course there's the
    financial angle as well, dumping inventory into the channel at fire sale
    prices doesn't make you any money.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Steven M. Scharf

    Sf Guest

    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message
    news:LB6Xb.2584$...
    > See: "http://www.bythom.com/2004predictions.htm"
    >
    > Good article. It's very true that there is going to be a shakeout in all
    > segments of the digital camera industry. Sigma is unlikely to survive,

    given
    > their lack of a product that competes well against the Nikon D70 and Canon
    > 10D & 300D, and now the new Minolta, all far superior to Sigma's offerings
    > in terms of image quality and available lenses. And of course there's the
    > financial angle as well, dumping inventory into the channel at fire sale
    > prices doesn't make you any money.

    I have hot seen any fire sale prices.
    I would like to see the SD9 for $350.00 and the SD10 fro $375 with lenses.
    Now that's a fire sale price.

    Sf, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Steven M. Scharf

    peter Guest

    Sigma just joined the 4/3 camp. This implies they will at least make a SD11
    that is 4/3 compliant before exiting the dcam industry.

    peter, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Steven M. Scharf

    John Bean Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:16:59 GMT, peter wrote:

    > Sigma just joined the 4/3 camp. This implies they will at least make a SD11
    > that is 4/3 compliant before exiting the dcam industry.

    More likely they will make lenses to fit the Olympus E-1...

    --
    John Bean

    Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy,
    wealthy and wise (some dead guy)

    John Bean, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Steven M. Scharf

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    > See: http://www.bythom.com/2004predictions.htm
    >
    > Good article. It's very true that there is going to be a shakeout in all
    > segments of the digital camera industry.

    So you agree with the author who wrote,

    "At least two traditional camera companies fold (perhaps they get acquired
    instead).

    Mamiya, Pentax, Minolta/Konica, Leica, Hasselblad (though the name might
    live on via their Japanese partner), Rollei, Bronica, or Horseman?

    I'll go further and suggest that Sigma ends up getting out of the camera
    business (but remains in the lens business)."

    > Sigma is unlikely to survive,

    So you don't believe the article is accurate in regards to Sigma.

    What inside information do you have?

    > given
    > their lack of a product that competes well against the Nikon D70 and Canon
    > 10D & 300D, and now the new Minolta, all far superior to Sigma's offerings
    > in terms of image quality and available lenses.

    Sigma has been making photo equipment for the past 43 years and they're
    gonna be making photo equipment for a long time into the future.

    There's no reason to assume otherwise.

    And they don't have to sell the quantities of cameras that Nikon and Canon
    sell.

    They're busy making about 50 or so different lenses in five camera mounts.

    New and better lenses always in the works.

    > And of course there's the
    > financial angle as well, dumping inventory into the channel at fire sale
    > prices doesn't make you any money.

    When Canon brought out the 10D at almost half the price of the D60 was it a
    fire sale?

    Or were they still making money?

    Stop trying to put the hex on Sigma... go take some pictures.

    Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan, Feb 13, 2004
  6. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:16:59 GMT, "peter" <> wrote:

    >Sigma just joined the 4/3 camp. This implies they will at least make a SD11
    >that is 4/3 compliant before exiting the dcam industry.

    Nope, they are just in the 4/3 camp to make lenses according to this
    link I got from DPReview:

    http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/Four_Thirds_System.html

    They also say they will be continuing development of the SA mount, so
    it looks like they are either planning on releasing at least one more
    camera or not abandoning the users they have.

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Feb 14, 2004
  7. "Andy Blanchard" <> wrote in message

    > They also say they will be continuing development of the SA mount, so
    > it looks like they are either planning on releasing at least one more
    > camera or not abandoning the users they have.

    I think that it's pretty easy for them to attach whatever glass they come up
    with to a variety of mounts, without much tooling cost, if any. So they may
    mean that they'll continue to release new lenses in the SA mount, as well as
    others.

    Lenses are their forte, but it always amazes me that anyone would buy their
    glass. How many SLR buyers are there out there don't care about the quality
    of their lenses. Sigma's EX line has decent optical quality, but I
    constantly see complaints about the construction, etc. of Sigma lenses; who
    has time to deal with that just to save a little money?

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Steven M. Scharf

    Bryan Olson Guest

    "peter" wrote:
    > Sigma just joined the 4/3 camp. This implies they will at least make a SD11
    > that is 4/3 compliant before exiting the dcam industry.

    The requirements on members of the 4/3 camp are pretty thin.
    Olympus actually offers some 4/3-system products. Kodak supports
    the system by not discontinuing an antiquated CCD. Fuji's support
    seems limited to lack of active denial when Olympus says Fuji is
    on-board.

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Feb 14, 2004