    clear). Is it worth my playing with the codecs to try to improve the
    situation and is there somewhere that describes the pros and cons of
    the various codecs. Is there any other tuning I can do?
    Al, May 12, 2005

  2. Al

    Ian Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My broadband uplink speed is only 64kb. I presume this is the main
    > reason for the fact that people I call using X-Lite softphone tell me
    > they have problems hearing me (even though I can hear them crystal
    > clear). Is it worth my playing with the codecs to try to improve the
    > situation and is there somewhere that describes the pros and cons of
    > the various codecs. Is there any other tuning I can do?

    Basicly choose ilbc g723 or g729

    BUT in the end you need to sort out your connetion speed. G711 uses aprox
    80K each way. What type of broadband do you have that is only 64K?

    Ian
    Ian, May 12, 2005

  3. Al

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > My broadband uplink speed is only 64kb. I presume this is the main
    > reason for the fact that people I call using X-Lite softphone tell me
    > they have problems hearing me (even though I can hear them crystal
    > clear). Is it worth my playing with the codecs to try to improve the
    > situation and is there somewhere that describes the pros and cons of
    > the various codecs. Is there any other tuning I can do?

    Not much of a "broadband" service then, is it..? I suggest you complain to
    your ISP, or find a decent one. For SIP calls you need a minimum of 80k
    each way to get decent quality.

    Who on earth is calling 64k "broadband" then..? Never heard of anything so
    daft.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 12, 2005
  4. On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:50:00 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Who on earth is calling 64k "broadband" then..? Never heard of anything so
    >daft.

    upstream on Cable is usually fairly modest.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, May 12, 2005
  5. Al

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:50:00 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Who on earth is calling 64k "broadband" then..? Never heard of
    >> anything so daft.

    > upstream on Cable is usually fairly modest.

    My mate has Blueyonder's basic 256k service, his upload is 128k.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 12, 2005
  6. Phil Thompson, May 12, 2005
  7. Al

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:15:12 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >Basicly choose ilbc g723 or g729

    Currently I have both G711a and GSM set. I've no idea how I came to
    this since I have no idea what exactly these codecs are used for and
    what the criteria is for choosing one. Is there some simple
    explanation somewhere for a beginner to make sense of all these
    strange sets of characters?

    Also, should I set just a SINGLE codec or what? It really would be
    helpful if there was some simple information I could refer to to try
    to understand these "codecs" and how to use them.

    >BUT in the end you need to sort out your connetion speed. G711 uses aprox
    >80K each way. What type of broadband do you have that is only 64K?

    ntl 300kb download and 64kb upload, so I'm told. As I think I said at
    the start, incoming speech quality is crystal clear and barely
    distinguishable from PSTN. I'm often told by the receiving end that my
    speech sounds "garbled". Since I can't personally can't hear what I
    sound like at the other end, it's hard to interpret exactly what the
    recipient is reporting. However, from time to time I've had no
    complaints at all from the other end.
    Al, May 12, 2005
  8. Phil Thompson wrote:
    || On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:34:03 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    || <> wrote:
    ||| My mate has Blueyonder's basic 256k service, his upload is 128k.
    || NTL have 64k upstream on their basic 150k service
    || http://www.home.ntl.com/page/broadbandquestions
    || Phil

    .................I worked for NTL up until 28 Feb 05...........they were just
    about to increase their 300k speed to 1Mb.....has this not happened yet?

    They haven't done a 150k speed for months & months.
    The Cable Guy, May 12, 2005
  9. Al

    Ian Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:15:12 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Basicly choose ilbc g723 or g729

    > Currently I have both G711a and GSM set. I've no idea how I came to
    > this since I have no idea what exactly these codecs are used for and
    > what the criteria is for choosing one. Is there some simple
    > explanation somewhere for a beginner to make sense of all these
    > strange sets of characters?
    >
    > Also, should I set just a SINGLE codec or what? It really would be
    > helpful if there was some simple information I could refer to to try
    > to understand these "codecs" and how to use them.

    Yes just set GSM

    Simple realy

    G711 is 64K + overheads = 80K
    G729 is 8K + Overheads = 18K
    GSM is 13K + Overheads = 21K

    THESE are all Approx from memory.

    > >BUT in the end you need to sort out your connetion speed. G711 uses aprox
    > >80K each way. What type of broadband do you have that is only 64K?

    > ntl 300kb download and 64kb upload, so I'm told. As I think I said at
    > the start, incoming speech quality is crystal clear and barely
    > distinguishable from PSTN. I'm often told by the receiving end that my
    > speech sounds "garbled". Since I can't personally can't hear what I
    > sound like at the other end, it's hard to interpret exactly what the
    > recipient is reporting. However, from time to time I've had no
    > complaints at all from the other end.

    Yep sounds right, 80K down a 64K pipe just don't go.
    If you want to take advantage of Voip upgrade so you have 80K + 40% extra at
    least.

    Good luck Ian
    Ian, May 12, 2005
  10. Al

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:16:35 GMT, The Cable Guy wrote:

    >................I worked for NTL up until 28 Feb 05...........they were just
    >about to increase their 300k speed to 1Mb.....has this not happened yet?

    Yes, it's an optional upgrade. There is a sting in the tail though:
    the upgraded offering is capped (unlike the 300kb offering). I'm not
    happy with the capping and, instead of upgrading, they've offered me a
    price reduction for staying at 300kb.
    Al, May 12, 2005
  11. Al

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:19:45 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >Yes just set GSM

    So should I only ever set one codec?

    >Simple realy
    >
    >G711 is 64K + overheads = 80K
    >G729 is 8K + Overheads = 18K
    >GSM is 13K + Overheads = 21K

    Where is this documented?

    >Yep sounds right, 80K down a 64K pipe just don't go.
    >If you want to take advantage of Voip upgrade so you have 80K + 40% extra at
    >least.

    I prefer not to have a capped service.
    Al, May 12, 2005
  12. On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:16:35 GMT, "The Cable Guy"
    <21.com> wrote:

    >................I worked for NTL up until 28 Feb 05...........they were just
    >about to increase their 300k speed to 1Mb.....has this not happened yet?

    its a voluntary upgrade AFAICS

    >They haven't done a 150k speed for months & months.

    they need to tell their webmaster then :)
    or maybe Google hit a mouldy corner.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, May 12, 2005
  13. Al wrote:
    || On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:19:45 +0100, "Ian"
    || <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:
    ||| Yes just set GSM
    || So should I only ever set one codec?
    ||| Simple realy
    ||| G711 is 64K + overheads = 80K
    ||| G729 is 8K + Overheads = 18K
    ||| GSM is 13K + Overheads = 21K
    || Where is this documented?
    ||| Yep sounds right, 80K down a 64K pipe just don't go.
    ||| If you want to take advantage of Voip upgrade so you have 80K + 40%
    ||| extra at least.
    || I prefer not to have a capped service.

    I thought you were with NTL? Their service is capped. IIRC, the 300k was
    capped at 30Gb a month, as was the 750k & the 1.5Mb. However, the upgraded
    1Mb, 2Mb & 3Mb should have 10Gb, 30Gb & 40Gb caps respectively.
    The Cable Guy, May 12, 2005
  14. Al wrote:
    || On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:16:35 GMT, The Cable Guy wrote:
    ||| ................I worked for NTL up until 28 Feb 05...........they
    ||| were just about to increase their 300k speed to 1Mb.....has this
    ||| not happened yet?
    || Yes, it's an optional upgrade. There is a sting in the tail though:
    || the upgraded offering is capped (unlike the 300kb offering). I'm not
    || happy with the capping and, instead of upgrading, they've offered me
    || a price reduction for staying at 300kb.

    It's capped on the 300k - at 30Gb a month.

    They could impose a cap at anything they like, whenever they want anyway.

    The 1Mb was gonna have a 10Gb cap. How much do you use the broadband. Do you
    go over 10Gb on 300k connection?

    What price have they offered the 300k to you at?
    The Cable Guy, May 12, 2005
  15. Al

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:58:32 GMT, The Cable Guy wrote:

    >I thought you were with NTL? Their service is capped. IIRC, the 300k was
    >capped at 30Gb a month, as was the 750k & the 1.5Mb. However, the upgraded
    >1Mb, 2Mb & 3Mb should have 10Gb, 30Gb & 40Gb caps respectively.

    Not according to this, it doesn't:
    http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband

    I don't want to be capped at 3gb month.
    Al, May 12, 2005
  16. Al wrote:
    || On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:58:32 GMT, The Cable Guy wrote:
    ||| I thought you were with NTL? Their service is capped. IIRC, the
    ||| 300k was capped at 30Gb a month, as was the 750k & the 1.5Mb.
    ||| However, the upgraded 1Mb, 2Mb & 3Mb should have 10Gb, 30Gb & 40Gb
    ||| caps respectively.
    || Not according to this, it doesn't:
    || http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband
    || I don't want to be capped at 3gb month.

    I agree - they obviously can't make up their minds. I was selling it for
    them in February - 1Mb with 10Gb monthly cap.
    The Cable Guy, May 12, 2005
  17. Al

    Ian Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:19:45 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Yes just set GSM

    > So should I only ever set one codec?
    >
    > >Simple realy
    > >
    > >G711 is 64K + overheads = 80K
    > >G729 is 8K + Overheads = 18K
    > >GSM is 13K + Overheads = 21K

    > Where is this documented?

    In my head in my case :) , But just google for voip and codecs. I am sure
    there is a vast amount of info out there.

    > >Yep sounds right, 80K down a 64K pipe just don't go.
    > >If you want to take advantage of Voip upgrade so you have 80K + 40% extra

    at
    > >least.

    > I prefer not to have a capped service.

    ?????
    You need at least 128K but pre 256K with 64K it just aint going to work.
    Ian, May 12, 2005
  18. Al

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:06:43 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >?????
    >You need at least 128K but pre 256K with 64K it just aint going to work.

    What does that mean?
    Al, May 12, 2005
  19. Al

    ßodincus Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:27:15 +0100, Al said...
    |My broadband uplink speed is only 64kb. I presume this is the main
    |reason for the fact that people I call using X-Lite softphone tell me
    |they have problems hearing me (even though I can hear them crystal
    |clear). Is it worth my playing with the codecs to try to improve the
    |situation and is there somewhere that describes the pros and cons of
    |the various codecs. Is there any other tuning I can do?

    Actually, if your voice is 'garbled' at the other end, maybe not just a
    bandwidth issue (since the 80K pushed down the line are the MAXIMUM
    PEAK data rate used to deliver your voice, and the average is fair
    less) but a lag instead.
    Try to ping your VoIP provider STUN proxy, or to traceroute it, and see
    if in the route to the provider something is lagging around too much
    time.
    Report back the result of a "tracert <yourproviderSTUNproxy>" here,
    maybe we can pinpoint something.

    HTH

    --
    ßodincus · The Y2K Druid
    I'm watching you....
    ßodincus, May 12, 2005
  20. Al

    Ian Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:06:43 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >?????
    > >You need at least 128K but pre 256K with 64K it just aint going to work.

    > What does that mean?

    Umm I should read what I type before sending.

    What I mean is you need at least 128K upload but preferably 256K as with jst
    a upload speed of 64K you will not get a decent voip service.
    This is because if you call a user who only supports G711 and you only
    support GSM your call will fail as you cannot negotiate similar codecs.

    So basicly accept the fact that If you are serious about using VoIP you will
    have to upgrade to get an acceptable bandwidth.

    Ian
    Ian, May 12, 2005