Improving Vonage service

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by alkali, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. alkali

    alkali Guest

    I've had Vonage service for about four months now, and until recently
    experienced a small number of intermittent problems, which I figured
    amounted to the kinds of glitches that you run into if you're an early
    adopter. I recently learned that I had been suffering unnecessarily.
    If you have or are about to get Vonage service, I strongly recommend
    that you do the following:

    1. Upgrade your router's firmware. (If you haven't done this before,
    this involves going to your router manufacturer's web site and
    downloading a program that will update the internal software on your
    router. After you do this, all internal settings on your router will
    be restored to their defaults, and you'll have to make any adjustments
    you've lost.)

    2. Adjust your router's settings for optimal performance with Vonage.
    Vonage has a web site ( http://www.vonage.com/learn_routers.php )
    where you can get this information for about a dozen routers; if your
    router isn't listed, you should call them, because they have
    information for other routers. In particular, some port forwarding
    settings suggested by Vonage drastically improved my level of service.

    alkali, Oct 10, 2003