improving the quality of a burn/copy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. Hi everyone

    A friend of mine has a cd that she very slightly scratched or something by
    putting 2 cds together and she desperately needs another copy for teaching
    aerobics. Plus these cds tend to cost upwards of $45 each.

    I said I would try and clean up and burn a new one. I need to pick your
    brains again everyone...

    I know sound quality is always better by sending the music file to the hard
    drive first and then to a new cd and burning as slowly as possible.
    Is it better to utilise (using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum) the clean
    up features; noise removal,
    pop removal etc etc(in Soundstream) at the time the songs come off the cd to
    the hard drive
    or in the process from the hard drive to the new cd or perhaps both.
    Any thoughts?
    Actually any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Chris

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Steve & Chris Clark

    Palindrome Guest

    Steve & Chris Clark wrote:

    > Hi everyone
    >
    > A friend of mine has a cd that she very slightly scratched or something by
    > putting 2 cds together and she desperately needs another copy for teaching
    > aerobics. Plus these cds tend to cost upwards of $45 each.
    >
    > I said I would try and clean up and burn a new one. I need to pick your
    > brains again everyone...
    >
    > I know sound quality is always better by sending the music file to the hard
    > drive first and then to a new cd and burning as slowly as possible.
    > Is it better to utilise (using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum) the clean
    > up features; noise removal,
    > pop removal etc etc(in Soundstream) at the time the songs come off the cd to
    > the hard drive
    > or in the process from the hard drive to the new cd or perhaps both.
    > Any thoughts?
    > Actually any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Chris

    Noise removal is not necessary for cd copying - only for analogue
    devices (tape, vinyl, etc). If the original is a pressed CD (i.e. not a
    "home" copy) then the scratches should come out with a CD repair kit -
    as it is unlikely that the data has been damaged. So, clean up the
    original and just copy it using CD Creator.

    Palindrome, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Steve & Chris Clark

    Trent SC Guest

    > Hi everyone
    >
    > A friend of mine has a cd that she very slightly scratched or something by
    > putting 2 cds together and she desperately needs another copy for teaching
    > aerobics. Plus these cds tend to cost upwards of $45 each.
    >
    > I said I would try and clean up and burn a new one. I need to pick your
    > brains again everyone...
    >
    > I know sound quality is always better by sending the music file to the

    hard
    > drive first and then to a new cd and burning as slowly as possible.

    No, this is not the case. A copy of a CD is exactly that - a copy. As it's
    a CD, then you are reproducing a digital file. That said, burning a CD from
    the hard drive can sometimes be quicker, and on older CD burners there are
    fewer potential buffer underrun errors.

    > Is it better to utilise (using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum) the clean
    > up features; noise removal,
    > pop removal etc etc(in Soundstream) at the time the songs come off the cd

    > the hard drive
    > or in the process from the hard drive to the new cd or perhaps both.
    > Any thoughts?

    This is only really useful for tidying up older recordings, typically live
    recordings, audio tape or vinyl. If you're copying a digitally recorded CD,
    then it won't have any relevance. And if the CD is damaged to the extent
    that the music skips at a certain point, you are unliklely to be able to
    recover that particular section. If the CD copying software allows you to
    make a copy (if it runs a file verification routine it might stop at that
    point), then you will reproduce the skip. Sorry.

    > Actually any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

    If you have the full details of the CD tracks, use a file sharing prog to
    dowload a new version and burn that one.

    Trent SC, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Steve & Chris Clark wrote:

    > Hi everyone
    >
    > A friend of mine has a cd that she very slightly scratched or something by
    > putting 2 cds together and she desperately needs another copy for teaching
    > aerobics. Plus these cds tend to cost upwards of $45 each.
    >
    > I said I would try and clean up and burn a new one. I need to pick your
    > brains again everyone...
    >
    > I know sound quality is always better by sending the music file to the hard
    > drive first and then to a new cd and burning as slowly as possible.
    > Is it better to utilise (using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum) the clean
    > up features; noise removal,
    > pop removal etc etc(in Soundstream) at the time the songs come off the cd to
    > the hard drive
    > or in the process from the hard drive to the new cd or perhaps both.
    > Any thoughts?
    > Actually any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Chris

    I'd try 120% alcohol and let it create an image. Then see how well that
    came out.

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands

    Jeroen Wijnands, Apr 5, 2004
  5. > >
    > I'd try 120% alcohol and let it create an image. Then see how well that
    > came out.
    >

    > --
    > Groeten/Regards
    > Jeroen Wijnands
    > jeroen at wijnands punt xs4all punt nl

    Alcohol to clean the cd?....what do you mean and let it create an
    image?.....could you or someone elaborate?
    thanks
    Chris

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 6, 2004
  6. excellent advice
    thanks
    Chris

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 6, 2004
  7. "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    > Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone
    > >
    > > A friend of mine has a cd that she very slightly scratched or something

    by
    > > putting 2 cds together and she desperately needs another copy for

    teaching
    > > aerobics. Plus these cds tend to cost upwards of $45 each.
    > >
    > > I said I would try and clean up and burn a new one. I need to pick

    your
    > > brains again everyone...
    > >
    > > I know sound quality is always better by sending the music file to the

    hard
    > > drive first and then to a new cd and burning as slowly as possible.
    > > Is it better to utilise (using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum) the

    clean
    > > up features; noise removal,
    > > pop removal etc etc(in Soundstream) at the time the songs come off the

    cd to
    > > the hard drive
    > > or in the process from the hard drive to the new cd or perhaps both.
    > > Any thoughts?
    > > Actually any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > > Chris

    > Noise removal is not necessary for cd copying - only for analogue
    > devices (tape, vinyl, etc). If the original is a pressed CD (i.e. not a
    > "home" copy) then the scratches should come out with a CD repair kit -
    > as it is unlikely that the data has been damaged. So, clean up the
    > original and just copy it using CD Creator.

    Yes it is an original CD.....I didn't realise a CD repair kit exists.....any
    computer shop?
    Is this very expensive? What do you have to do to repair? is it liquid?
    can you explain just a bit more.
    Thanks
    Chris
    Chris

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 6, 2004
  8. Steve & Chris Clark

    Palindrome Guest

    Steve & Chris Clark wrote:

    > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi everyone
    >>>
    >>>A friend of mine has a cd that she very slightly scratched or something

    > by
    >
    >>>putting 2 cds together and she desperately needs another copy for

    > teaching
    >
    >>>aerobics. Plus these cds tend to cost upwards of $45 each.
    >>>
    >>>I said I would try and clean up and burn a new one. I need to pick

    > your
    >
    >>>brains again everyone...
    >>>
    >>>I know sound quality is always better by sending the music file to the

    > hard
    >
    >>>drive first and then to a new cd and burning as slowly as possible.
    >>>Is it better to utilise (using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum) the

    > clean
    >
    >>>up features; noise removal,
    >>>pop removal etc etc(in Soundstream) at the time the songs come off the

    > cd to
    >
    >>>the hard drive
    >>>or in the process from the hard drive to the new cd or perhaps both.
    >>>Any thoughts?
    >>>Actually any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>Chris

    >>Noise removal is not necessary for cd copying - only for analogue
    >>devices (tape, vinyl, etc). If the original is a pressed CD (i.e. not a
    >>"home" copy) then the scratches should come out with a CD repair kit -
    >>as it is unlikely that the data has been damaged. So, clean up the
    >>original and just copy it using CD Creator.
    >>

    > Yes it is an original CD.....I didn't realise a CD repair kit exists.....any
    > computer shop?
    > Is this very expensive? What do you have to do to repair? is it liquid?
    > can you explain just a bit more.
    > Thanks
    > Chris
    > Chris

    I have one. I got it from a computer shop. It cost 15GBP. It polishes
    out scratches on the non-label side. It has two bottles, one each of
    coarse and fine polish. Yes it works. It also works on dye media but
    not, obviously, if the very fragile label side containing the dye layer
    is damaged. Not high tech - you just put a drop of the liquid on the
    cloth supplied and rub away for a few minutes. It also works on
    scratched eye-glasses (plastic lenses) but don't use it if they are
    coated (unless you want to remove the coating)! Amazingly it also seems
    to work with very deep scratches - by removing the built-up material on
    the edges of the scratch, which seem to matter more than the scratch
    itself.

    Palindrome, Apr 6, 2004
  9. Does anyone know what Jeroen is talking about here?

    "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message

    > > I'd try 120% alcohol and let it create an image. Then see how well that
    > > came out.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Groeten/Regards
    > > Jeroen Wijnands
    > > jeroen at wijnands punt xs4all punt nl
    > >

    > Alcohol to clean the cd?....what do you mean and let it create an
    > image?.....could you or someone elaborate?
    > thanks
    > Chris
    >

    > ---

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 6, 2004
  10. Steve & Chris Clark

    Palindrome Guest

    Steve & Chris Clark wrote:

    > Does anyone know what Jeroen is talking about here?

    Makes perfect sense to me. It is good advice. Of course it helps to know
    that 120% Alcohol is a brand of CD authoring software..:)

    Palindrome, Apr 6, 2004
  11. Oh for crying out loud......
    thanks Palindrome!
    Chris

    > Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know what Jeroen is talking about here?

    > Makes perfect sense to me. It is good advice. Of course it helps to know
    > that 120% Alcohol is a brand of CD authoring software..:)
    >

    > > "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message

    > >>Alcohol to clean the cd?....what do you mean and let it create an
    > >>image?.....could you or someone elaborate?
    > >>thanks
    > >>Chris
    > >>

    > >>---
    > >>

    > > ---

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 6, 2004
  12. Hey Palindrome
    I've got the cd repair kit you mentioned with no instructions. I had heard
    that cds are only supposed to be rubbed from the centre to the outward edge
    and not in a circular motion as was for a vinyl......is this correct?
    What is the best way to polish......
    thanks

    > Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
    >
    > > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message

    > > by

    > > teaching

    > > your

    > > hard

    > > clean

    > > cd to

    > >>Noise removal is not necessary for cd copying - only for analogue
    > >>devices (tape, vinyl, etc). If the original is a pressed CD (i.e. not a
    > >>"home" copy) then the scratches should come out with a CD repair kit -
    > >>as it is unlikely that the data has been damaged. So, clean up the
    > >>original and just copy it using CD Creator.
    > >>

    > > Yes it is an original CD.....I didn't realise a CD repair kit

    exists.....any
    > > computer shop?
    > > Is this very expensive? What do you have to do to repair? is it

    liquid?
    > > can you explain just a bit more.
    > > Thanks
    > > Chris
    > > Chris
    > >

    > I have one. I got it from a computer shop. It cost 15GBP. It polishes
    > out scratches on the non-label side. It has two bottles, one each of
    > coarse and fine polish. Yes it works. It also works on dye media but
    > not, obviously, if the very fragile label side containing the dye layer
    > is damaged. Not high tech - you just put a drop of the liquid on the
    > cloth supplied and rub away for a few minutes. It also works on
    > scratched eye-glasses (plastic lenses) but don't use it if they are
    > coated (unless you want to remove the coating)! Amazingly it also seems
    > to work with very deep scratches - by removing the built-up material on
    > the edges of the scratch, which seem to matter more than the scratch
    > itself.

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 7, 2004
  13. Steve & Chris Clark

    Palindrome Guest

    Steve & Chris Clark wrote:

    > Hey Palindrome
    > I've got the cd repair kit you mentioned with no instructions. I had heard
    > that cds are only supposed to be rubbed from the centre to the outward edge
    > and not in a circular motion as was for a vinyl......is this correct?
    > What is the best way to polish......
    > thanks

    IME it doesn't seem to matter. I rub at right angles to the scratch.
    Works for me..

    Palindrome, Apr 7, 2004
  14. thanks......you should see the scratches on this thing though.....I think
    I'm doomed.....
    thanks again for all the help
    Chris

    > Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
    >
    > > Hey Palindrome
    > > I've got the cd repair kit you mentioned with no instructions. I had

    heard
    > > that cds are only supposed to be rubbed from the centre to the outward

    edge
    > > and not in a circular motion as was for a vinyl......is this correct?
    > > What is the best way to polish......
    > > thanks

    > IME it doesn't seem to matter. I rub at right angles to the scratch.
    > Works for me..

    > > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message

    something

    the

    the

    > > exists.....any

    > > liquid?

    > >>I have one. I got it from a computer shop. It cost 15GBP. It polishes
    > >>out scratches on the non-label side. It has two bottles, one each of
    > >>coarse and fine polish. Yes it works. It also works on dye media but
    > >>not, obviously, if the very fragile label side containing the dye layer
    > >>is damaged. Not high tech - you just put a drop of the liquid on the
    > >>cloth supplied and rub away for a few minutes. It also works on
    > >>scratched eye-glasses (plastic lenses) but don't use it if they are
    > >>coated (unless you want to remove the coating)! Amazingly it also seems
    > >>to work with very deep scratches - by removing the built-up material on
    > >>the edges of the scratch, which seem to matter more than the scratch
    > >>itself.

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 7, 2004
  15. Steve & Chris Clark

    Guest

    Palindrome <> wrote in message news:<c4u4s8$2luiv5$-berlin.de>...
    > Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know what Jeroen is talking about here?

    > Makes perfect sense to me. It is good advice. Of course it helps to know
    > that 120% Alcohol is a brand of CD authoring software..:)
    >

    > > <snip>

    <g> sometimes it's easy to overlook that not everyone's familiar with
    the common range of cd burning apps.

    Alcohol is at the moment the best application for difficult copy jobs.
    http://www.alcohol-software.com/index.php
    free trial available.

    , Apr 7, 2004
  16. Wow.....this is a stroke of luck! I may have to use this trial.
    Thanks.

    By the way......"spamfighter"....brings me to another totally off topic
    question for this thread.......
    what are the best ways you've found to fight spam seeing as that's your
    alias name.....excellent!
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks again
    Chris

    "" <4all.nl> wrote in message
    > Palindrome <> wrote in message

    > > Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone know what Jeroen is talking about here?

    > > Makes perfect sense to me. It is good advice. Of course it helps to know
    > > that 120% Alcohol is a brand of CD authoring software..:)
    > >

    > > > <snip>

    > <g> sometimes it's easy to overlook that not everyone's familiar with
    > the common range of cd burning apps.
    >
    > Alcohol is at the moment the best application for difficult copy jobs.
    > http://www.alcohol-software.com/index.php
    > free trial available.

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 7, 2004
  17. Steve & Chris Clark

    Guest

    Spam fighting (was: Re: improving the quality of a burn/copy)

    "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message news:<54Rcc.174$>...
    > Wow.....this is a stroke of luck! I may have to use this trial.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > By the way......"spamfighter"....brings me to another totally off topic
    > question for this thread.......
    > what are the best ways you've found to fight spam seeing as that's your
    > alias name.....excellent!
    > Any thoughts?
    > Thanks again
    > Chris
    ><SNIP>

    Yeah, standard client side filtering is useless. Only thing that works
    is dnsbl filtering.

    My personal solution was to install a linux server with postfix
    mailserver on it. That filters using several dnsbl filters. Mail that
    gets trough that check is then subjected to several keyword checks in
    the body. After that I only get about 2-4 spams per day.

    Other people are fond of spam assasin which combines the method
    mentioned above but is also able to "learn" what spam is.

    DNSBL means that the sending server's IP is checked against a list. If
    the ip is listed there the mail is rejected. DNSBLs are available
    based on several criteria such as well known spam source, geographic
    location, open relay etc.

    Here's some stats for an average week on my server:

    1468 received
    280 delivered
    0 forwarded
    2 deferred (185 deferrals)
    0 bounced
    1186 rejected (80%)
    0 reject warnings
    0 held
    0 discarded (0%)

    Delivered is what actually reaches the inbox. Rejections are spams and
    virii combined.

    Jeroen

    , Apr 7, 2004
  18. Steve & Chris Clark

    PackRat2112 Guest

    "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in

    > Hi everyone
    >
    > A friend of mine has a cd that she very slightly scratched or
    > something by putting 2 cds together and she desperately needs another
    > copy for teaching aerobics. Plus these cds tend to cost upwards of
    > $45 each.
    >
    > I said I would try and clean up and burn a new one. I need to pick
    > your brains again everyone...
    >
    > I know sound quality is always better by sending the music file to the
    > hard drive first and then to a new cd and burning as slowly as
    > possible. Is it better to utilise (using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5
    > Platinum) the clean up features; noise removal,
    > pop removal etc etc(in Soundstream) at the time the songs come off the
    > cd to the hard drive
    > or in the process from the hard drive to the new cd or perhaps both.
    > Any thoughts?
    > Actually any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Chris
    >

    > ---

    here's an idea... my local DVD rental shop has a polisher that he uses,
    and he also charges costumers like 2 bucks to "fix" there personal cds.

    maybe you can call around and find someone that does the same!

    good luck!
    PackRat2112

    PackRat2112, Jul 22, 2004