improving the performance of my PC

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LouisB, Oct 15, 2006.

  1. LouisB

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:41:14 +1000, veritas wrote:

    > Having this in mind and considering your experiences ( or anyone else here )
    > , do you think I can install , run PS and print photos ? It doesn't look
    > like it does it ? :(
    >
    > What do I have to do ? Buy a new laptop ( I've seen one 2 GB RAM , 160 GB
    > Hardrive , Chip 2-3 GHz ) I can get from Los Angeles shipped to me here for
    > around $1400 .
    >
    > Do I have to buy a new external drive perhaps and link it by USB ?
    >
    > Any ideas , anyone ?

    When was the last time you defragged the hard drive or checked the
    drive for sector errors? I've had computers crash when trying to
    print with a C: drive that didn't have enough disk space to allocate
    a sufficiently large swap file. I'm not sure if the swap file needs
    to be contiguous or not, but even if it doesn't, those two
    operations won't cost anything and might make the computer run
    faster, so that it crashes in even less time than it took before!
    And if it does help, you'll have gotten something for nothing! :)

    ASAAR, Oct 17, 2006

  2. LouisB

    LouisB Guest

    > I can relate to what you're going through .
    >
    > You know , I have a laptop ( I think 3 GHz P4 ) 514MB RAM , 60 GB Hardrive
    > ( 50 GB freespace )made by Northgate ( an American company that went out
    > of business April 2005 ) .
    > I bought the laptop March 2003 (I bought the computer ~$1680 USD when I
    > was living in Los Angeles ). Anyway , I can't even link a printer by USB
    > cable before the available RAM just seems to disappear . When I press the
    > button to print the computer freezes and I can't even shut it down without
    > a reboot .

    Trust me, you really need to go through msconfig and turn off all the crap
    which is loading at startup. Most of it is probably seldom used or even
    unecessary. All you really need is your virus checker. Once you are not
    you also take the time to do a full chkdsk and then defrag (probably best
    left running overnight) you could find a significant performance
    improvement.

    I also took the opportunity of severely weeding out and removing all the
    apps I thought I would use but never did - which is worth doing before the
    chkdsk and defrag.

    There is a body of thought which thinks that every year to 18 months you
    should entirely rebuild your software image from the operating system
    upwards which for me is just totally unrealistic but might be worth
    considering next time I have a long holiday and nothing to do!

    LouisB

    LouisB, Oct 17, 2006

  3. LouisB

    Ron Hunter Guest

    LouisB wrote:
    > Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to improve the processing
    > power of my PC.
    >
    > I've got a fairly high-spec PC built around a Shuttle frame. It includes a
    > P4 3.0Ghz processor and 1GB of fairly fast RAM. I recently added a top end
    > graphics card (Geoforce 7900GT with 256MB ram). I don't know how fast my
    > hard disk is but it is a fairly decent Maxtor 160GB unit.
    >
    > Anyway, I've never been too impressed with the processing speed when using
    > Photoshop CS2 and now with the new Lightroom Beta 4 it is pretty poor.
    > Question is: can I improve what I've got, either by tweaking the system
    > configuration or changing some of the components. I'd have expected a 3GHz
    > unit with 1GB ram plus the graphics card I've got to be pretty decent.
    >
    > Any views would be helpful (other than get a Mac 'cos I can't right now!).
    >
    > LouisB
    > ------
    > "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

    There are several things you can do. First, make sure you have all the
    ram you can put in the machine. This is the cheapest, and easiest,
    change you can make for the maximum benefit, since it is always helpful,
    even on programs that already run satisfactorily. Second, keep your
    system clean. This means defrag regularly, don't add many resident
    programs (those little thingies in the 'system tray'). And avoid
    performance robbing stuff like Norton NIS/AV. Yes, this means you might
    have THINK, and decide what risk you are taking, and learn to avoid
    things like viruses without an AV program. Get a good firewall program
    that has these other features, and doesn't impose so much processor
    overhead (check out Agnitum.com).

    Of course, a new processor with multiple CPU architecture will help on
    SOME software (and CS2 is one of them), but won't help in all cases.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2006