    solution?

    Thanks very much.

    Drew Capuder

    news-server.ma.rr.com, Apr 17, 2005

  2. news-server.ma.rr.com

    Kenny Guest

    Try Goldwave, trial version from:
    http://www.goldwave.com/

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Apr 18, 2005

  3. "Kenny" <> wrote:
    > Try Goldwave, trial version from:
    > http://www.goldwave.com/
    >
    > Kenny Cargill

    Thanks very much. Goldwave, based on its web site, looks like it gives you a
    lot of bang for your buck, and has a pretty capable equalizer.

    Thanks again.

    Drew Capuder

    Drew M. Capuder, Apr 18, 2005
  4. news-server.ma.rr.com

    Sirius Guest

    >I have some audio tapes of meetings, phone calls, and the like. Tape
    > recordings of speaking voices (not singing) where sometimes the sound is
    > not
    > very good, and sometimes there is a lot of ambient noise. Does anyone know
    > of a good software solution for improving the intelligibility of the
    > voices
    > on the tapes? Would Adobe Audition do a good job? Is there a cheaper
    > solution?

    I've used Cool Edit for this. It has noise reduction where you take a sample
    of noise from a voice-free bit of the track and then use its profile to
    reduce noise on the remainder of the track. It also has various types of
    differential amplification which can be used to increase the volume of quiet
    voices. I like Cool Edit but haven't compared it with any others.

    Sirius, Apr 18, 2005
  5. "Sirius" <> wrote in message

    > "news-server.ma.rr.com" <> wrote in message
    >>I have some audio tapes of meetings, phone calls, and the like. Tape
    >> recordings of speaking voices (not singing) where sometimes the sound is
    >> not
    >> very good, and sometimes there is a lot of ambient noise. Does anyone
    >> know
    >> of a good software solution for improving the intelligibility of the
    >> voices
    >> on the tapes? Would Adobe Audition do a good job? Is there a cheaper
    >> solution?

    > I've used Cool Edit for this. It has noise reduction where you take a
    > sample of noise from a voice-free bit of the track and then use its
    > profile to reduce noise on the remainder of the track. It also has various
    > types of differential amplification which can be used to increase the
    > volume of quiet voices. I like Cool Edit but haven't compared it with any
    > others.

    Is Cool Edit the program that was bought by Abode and became "Audition"?

    If I am right on that, is Audition an improvement? I've been told that
    Goldwave, at a much lower price point, will do what I need, but I don't know
    yet if Goldwave has a noise reduction capability, separate from the ability
    to partially suppress noise through equalization.

    Goldwave is about 55 bucks versus about 300 bucks for Audition and Cool Edit
    (assuming Cool Edit still separately exists). I don't need the actual
    "musical capabilities" of the software, so its a pretty tough decision as to
    whether Audition/Cool Edit are worth the big jump in price.

    Thanks very much for your input.

    Drew Capuder

    Drew M. Capuder, Apr 18, 2005
  6. "Drew M. Capuder" <> wrote in message

    > "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "news-server.ma.rr.com" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have some audio tapes of meetings, phone calls, and the like. Tape
    >>> recordings of speaking voices (not singing) where sometimes the sound is
    >>> not
    >>> very good, and sometimes there is a lot of ambient noise. Does anyone
    >>> know
    >>> of a good software solution for improving the intelligibility of the
    >>> voices
    >>> on the tapes? Would Adobe Audition do a good job? Is there a cheaper
    >>> solution?

    >> I've used Cool Edit for this. It has noise reduction where you take a
    >> sample of noise from a voice-free bit of the track and then use its
    >> profile to reduce noise on the remainder of the track. It also has
    >> various types of differential amplification which can be used to increase
    >> the volume of quiet voices. I like Cool Edit but haven't compared it with
    >> any others.

    > Is Cool Edit the program that was bought by Abode and became "Audition"?
    >
    > If I am right on that, is Audition an improvement? I've been told that
    > Goldwave, at a much lower price point, will do what I need, but I don't
    > know yet if Goldwave has a noise reduction capability, separate from the
    > ability to partially suppress noise through equalization.
    >
    > Goldwave is about 55 bucks versus about 300 bucks for Audition and Cool
    > Edit (assuming Cool Edit still separately exists). I don't need the actual
    > "musical capabilities" of the software, so its a pretty tough decision as
    > to whether Audition/Cool Edit are worth the big jump in price.

    To follow up on my earlier reponse to your message, I now see that Goldwave
    also has noise reduction, although I don't know if its as elaborate as Cool
    Edit.

    Drew M. Capuder, Apr 18, 2005
  7. news-server.ma.rr.com

    Sirius Guest

    > Is Cool Edit the program that was bought by Abode and became "Audition"?

    Seems your right - and nearly two years since they got Syntrillium.

    from: http://www.adobe.com/special/products/audition/syntrillium.html

    "Adobe Systems Incorporated acquired the technology assets of
    Syntrillium Software in May 2003 and introduced Adobe Audition (a re-branded
    release of Cool Edit Pro) in August 2003. Less than a year later, on April
    19th, 2004, Adobe announced Adobe Audition 1.5, the product's first major
    Adobe release. Syntrillium's other products have been discontinued.
    Adobe Audition adds dozens of great new features to the Cool
    Edit Pro product you know and love. The latest release, Adobe Audition 1.5,
    includes a rich set of new features such as ReWire and VST plug-in support,
    CD burning, frequency space editing, and automatic pitch correction."

    Sirius, Apr 20, 2005