Improving signal / range

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Keith, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Hi

    I am setting up a home WiFi network with the following components:

    1 x Trust Speedshare Turbo Pro router / AP
    1 x Belkin F5D6001 802.11b PCI card
    1 x Belkin F5D7000 802.11g PCI card

    I have set it all up, and it works, but the range is very poor (lots of
    disconnects at a range of <10m, separate rooms). The signal is also very
    variable (excellent to no signal in seconds). What is my best option for
    improving the range and signal; should I go for a high gain antenna? If so,
    should I connect the antenna(e) to the AP, the cards, or both? Which ones
    work best?

    Also is there a way to disable the "Wireless connection is now connected"
    balloon without disabling other popup balloons? It is very annoying to have
    to keep closing it.

    All the best
    Keith
    Keith, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Keith

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 8, 2005

  3. Have you found out how to diable that balloon. I would like to do so as well.
    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?cm9iYg==?=, Apr 11, 2005
  4. Keith,

    I have just bought a Belkin F5D7000 and the receive signal strength is
    very poor. It was to replace a D-Link DWL-G520+ that would not work
    with dynamic IP adressing in Win98ME. Anyway, the D-Link did work with
    fixed IP addressing and when I had it running it gave me about 75%
    signal strength and 54 Mbps most of the time. The Belkin is hopeless.
    I am going through a thick concrete slab about 20 meters with a drop
    of 5 metres. I am using a high gain Yagi antenna in the garage
    downstairs and the signal is mud. The D-Link was right up there.

    I'll be taking it back tomorrow. The search goes on for a PCI card
    that will work.

    Cheers, Craig.

    Craig buckingham, Apr 24, 2005