    well, if really needed...or perhaps a trial version of Lightroom?

    brds
    P. Sorensen

    ___P.Sir, Jan 22, 2011

  2. ___P.Sir

    ___P.Sir Guest

    "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:2011012209185516807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    > On 2011-01-22 07:27:15 -0800, "___P.Sir" <> said:
    >
    >> I have a photo that is taken in a bad light situation:
    >> www.granvista.dk/sharpen
    >>
    >> It is a photo of some importance to us - our son and daughter together
    >> for
    >> the first time in about a year - and we would like to have it printed in
    >> perhaps A4 size - or at least as large as possible.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to how this photo can be improved, so it would be
    >> worth
    >> printing and putting on a wall -or in an album?
    >> Normally I use Photoshop Elements, but do have access to Photoshop CS as
    >> well, if really needed...or perhaps a trial version of Lightroom?
    >>
    >> brds
    >> P. Sorensen
    >>

    > Tell us a bit more about the file.
    > What you have posted is a 1.3MB 1600x1200 file taken with a Casio EX-S10
    > at ISO 800. I suspect you had auto ISO set "on". You might know that high
    > ISO in small sensor cameras is notorious for producing noise.
    > This is a 10MP camera which can produce a large image size of 3648x2736.
    > Did you choose the smaller 1600x1200 as a setting in your camera, or did
    > you resize using software?
    > What file quality, or level of compression setting did you use in the
    > camera?
    > If you used the maximum size and best quality settings in the camera, do
    > you have that file available?
    >
    > As it is, there is a lot of chroma noise due to the ISO 800 setting, which
    > spoils the image. Even applying quite strong noise reduction does not help
    > very much, and there would be a better chance of cleaning the shot up if
    > you had the larger, highest quality file available at the time you took
    > the shot. It is false economy to have your camera set for smaller file
    > sizes and "normal" or "lower" quality.
    >
    > For now my best suggestion is to make a black&white (B&W) conversion, and
    > adjust that image. Since the faces of your son & daughter are not visible,
    > capturing the mood of the reunion is probably going to be better than
    > trying to keep it as a color shot.
    >
    > Here is the result I came up with when I tried to fix it. I also resized
    > it to "A4". This is now a 4.1MB file. There is still a fair amount of
    > noise, but it has more of the appearance of B&W film grain, which is a
    > little more acceptable.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/CIMG4010bw.jpg >
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Well, the camera was just handed to me by my daughter - "take a photo"- so I
    must admit I did not spend time to look into the settings, which I should
    have done. So yes, it would have been on AUTO, and therefore correcting for
    the bad light I guess.
    But thanks anyway - the B&W is a good idea, improving the end result at
    least a bit.
    Lesson learned!
    But I guess we have to go to Australia again to correct the error!
    Sorensen

    ___P.Sir, Jan 22, 2011

  3. ___P.Sir

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:49:00 -0600, nate bishop <> wrote:
    : On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:18:55 -0800, Savageduck
    : <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    :
    : >On 2011-01-22 07:27:15 -0800, "___P.Sir" <> said:
    : >
    : >> I have a photo that is taken in a bad light situation:
    : >> www.granvista.dk/sharpen
    : >>
[...]
    : Keeping in mind that this is the advice coming from someone who has never
    : displayed even one photo properly leveled and has been known to make badly
    : tilted granite mountains and clouds into a bright & cheery pink color at
    : noon-light while claiming what a wonderful photo it is.
    :
    : IOW: Daffyduck's advice was posted to you by a blind and ignorant MORON
    : who can only pretend to be an x-spurt on usenet, it's all he's got in
    : life. His incessant crapshots prove diametrically otherwise.

    Dammit, Supy, I had begun to hope that you were back on your meds and possibly
    on your way to rejoining civilized society. Please don't backslide now!

    OTOH, if your point is that the Duck could have corrected the tilt while he
    was at it, I'm afraid I have to agree.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 23, 2011
  4. ___P.Sir

    otter Guest

    On Jan 22, 9:27 am, "___P.Sir" <> wrote:
    > I have a photo that is taken in a bad light situation:www.granvista.dk/sharpen
    >
    > It is a photo of some importance to us - our son and daughter together for
    > the first time in about a year - and we would like to have it printed in
    > perhaps A4 size - or at least as large as possible.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how this photo can be improved, so it would be worth
    > printing and putting on a wall -or in an album?
    > Normally I use Photoshop Elements, but do have access to Photoshop CS as
    > well, if really needed...or perhaps a trial version of Lightroom?
    >
    > brds
    > P. Sorensen

    The noise was pretty severe, so I ended up softening the image quite a
    bit. I think it is OK for a "mood picture". Probably best to keep it
    small in an album rather than try to print it large. After white
    balance correcting for the shirt, the picture turned kind of orange,
    so I just went with it a little more. It needed a crop, too.

    I'm sure others can do better, but here is my attempt:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5383994046/#/photos/billkeshlear/5383994046/lightbox/

    otter, Jan 24, 2011
  5. ___P.Sir

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 22/01/2011 17:18, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-01-22 07:27:15 -0800, "___P.Sir" <> said:
    >
    >> I have a photo that is taken in a bad light situation:
    >> www.granvista.dk/sharpen
    >>
    >> It is a photo of some importance to us - our son and daughter together
    >> for
    >> the first time in about a year - and we would like to have it printed in
    >> perhaps A4 size - or at least as large as possible.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to how this photo can be improved, so it would be
    >> worth
    >> printing and putting on a wall -or in an album?
    >> Normally I use Photoshop Elements, but do have access to Photoshop CS as
    >> well, if really needed...or perhaps a trial version of Lightroom?
    >>
    >> brds
    >> P. Sorensen
    >>

    > Tell us a bit more about the file.
    > What you have posted is a 1.3MB 1600x1200 file taken with a Casio EX-S10
    > at ISO 800. I suspect you had auto ISO set "on". You might know that
    > high ISO in small sensor cameras is notorious for producing noise.
    > This is a 10MP camera which can produce a large image size of 3648x2736.
    > Did you choose the smaller 1600x1200 as a setting in your camera, or did
    > you resize using software?
    > What file quality, or level of compression setting did you use in the
    > camera?
    > If you used the maximum size and best quality settings in the camera, do
    > you have that file available?

    The file JPEG quality isn't the problem. Quantisation is set to IJG Q=98
    for the main image. And it has Exif and two thumbnails 160x120 and
    320x240 which make it look like it is an untouched ex camera image.

    BTW camera thinks it is in Copenhagen.

    > As it is, there is a lot of chroma noise due to the ISO 800 setting,
    > which spoils the image. Even applying quite strong noise reduction does
    > not help very much, and there would be a better chance of cleaning the
    > shot up if you had the larger, highest quality file available at the
    > time you took the shot. It is false economy to have your camera set for
    > smaller file sizes and "normal" or "lower" quality.
    >
    > For now my best suggestion is to make a black&white (B&W) conversion,
    > and adjust that image. Since the faces of your son & daughter are not
    > visible, capturing the mood of the reunion is probably going to be
    > better than trying to keep it as a color shot.
    >
    > Here is the result I came up with when I tried to fix it. I also resized
    > it to "A4". This is now a 4.1MB file. There is still a fair amount of
    > noise, but it has more of the appearance of B&W film grain, which is a
    > little more acceptable.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/CIMG4010bw.jpg >

    The only other variant that might work is to do a luminance dependent
    treatment that retains the sunset colours in the highlights but makes
    the dark areas monochrome or manually hand tinted monochrome to get
    around the rather high chrominance noise levels. It will otherwise look
    R,G,B blotchy from sensor noise a price paid for high ISO.

    Separating it to HSL colour space and working on the hue directly might
    be worth a try but I don't hold out much hope of success.

    Can't really do much more starting with a 2Mpixel image. Sorry.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jan 24, 2011
  6. ___P.Sir

    ___P.Sir Guest

    "___P.Sir" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    >I have a photo that is taken in a bad light situation:
    > www.granvista.dk/sharpen
    >
    > It is a photo of some importance to us - our son and daughter together for
    > the first time in about a year - and we would like to have it printed in
    > perhaps A4 size - or at least as large as possible.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how this photo can be improved, so it would be worth
    > printing and putting on a wall -or in an album?
    > Normally I use Photoshop Elements, but do have access to Photoshop CS as
    > well, if really needed...or perhaps a trial version of Lightroom?
    >
    > brds
    > P. Sorensen

    Thank You all for remarks and attemps to improve this emotional picture. I
    can absolutely use some of it, in the "mood" mode. Thanks.

    ___P.Sir, Jan 24, 2011