    This is happening on a machine that has a quad core 2.2ghz processor.

    Yep. Windows has vastly improved over the years. If I had winzip it
    would probably take a 10th of that time.

    richard, May 23, 2009

  2. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 22:52:13 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Windows never ceases to amaze me.
    >In the process of unzipping a mere 4.8mb file which contains 1100
    >files, it's only going to take Windows Vista a whopping 3 hours and 30
    >minutes.

    Have you actually LET it? Often it says <X> hours but takes much less.

    >This is happening on a machine that has a quad core 2.2ghz processor.

    And how much memory? How much other crap running?

    >Yep. Windows has vastly improved over the years. If I had winzip it
    >would probably take a 10th of that time.

    So why not download winzip?

    Evan Platt, May 23, 2009

  3. richard wrote:

    > Windows never ceases to amaze me.

    And me as well. (lol, could not resist.)

    --
    -bts
    -Linux viruses: a few dozen, and they only exist in the lab

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 23, 2009
  4. richard

    VanguardLH Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Windows never ceases to amaze me.
    > In the process of unzipping a mere 4.8mb file which contains 1100
    > files, it's only going to take Windows Vista a whopping 3 hours and 30
    > minutes.
    >
    > This is happening on a machine that has a quad core 2.2ghz processor.
    >
    > Yep. Windows has vastly improved over the years. If I had winzip it
    > would probably take a 10th of that time.

    An ant moving a grain of sand would amaze you.

    So let's see what it could be based on the highly detailed post you
    submitted:

    - The source file is on a CD/DVD drive. Yeah, like any OS is going to
    speed that up.

    - You are outputting the files to a folder that already has files by
    that name. Because you have the Recycle Bin enabled, the old files must
    be moved into the Recycle Bin's folder.

    - You are flattening the archive file which means files for all folders
    are getting output to the same folder. With files having the same name,
    yep, we're back the Recycle Bin scenario.

    - The source file is on a USB thumb drive which has deteriorated over
    time so it uses its address masking to bypass the bad blocks of flash
    memory due to oxide stress. With more and more masking, the device gets
    slower and slower.

    - You are running other background processes that are keeping busy the
    data path to the hard disk. They may even be running at higher
    priority.

    - You are using file versioning to save copies of your revisioned files.
    The hold folder for the revision copies has exceeded its max size so it
    has to roll out old versions to bring in new one. Of course, by copying
    in the new files, the first revision can't save just changes but has to
    store the complete file. And you have the file versioning program
    saving the initial copy (full file) rather than just waiting to save the
    changes made to subsequent revisions of the file.

    - You configured your anti-virus to some maximum choking mode so it has
    to interrogate every byte of the file when it is opened from the source
    path and every byte for the newly created but separate copy of the file.

    - You have anti-malware software doing the same high level of
    interrogation. Or your mix of security products in your custom-designed
    suite are not compatible with each other. The anti-virus program
    inspects the file when touched but your anti-malware programs see the
    file got touched so it inspects the file, and then the anti-virus sees
    the file got touched by your anti-malware program so it inspects the
    file again, and in the loop you're stuck with thousands of accesses on
    the same file because of the incompatible security programs. And this
    along with piling up a stack of security programs that all want to
    inspect the file opened and the file created with each of them taking
    their time to interrogate the files.

    - You have a backup program is running but not at low priority.

    - You didn't check if DMA mode is enabled on your hard drives.

    - It says it will take hours but you won't wait even 2 minutes to see if
    that value descreases quickly.

    And the wild guesses continue since nothing of your host hardware and
    software configuration is known or its current state (and perhaps not
    even by you) that could lead to a limited number of troubleshooting
    possibilities.

    You can get a trial version of WinZip. 7-Zip and many other
    non-Microsoft archiving tools are available. So why not actually try
    one to see if a miracle happens and amazes you, too?

    Bye, little richard.

    VanguardLH, May 23, 2009
  5. richard

    philo Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Windows never ceases to amaze me.
    > In the process of unzipping a mere 4.8mb file which contains 1100
    > files, it's only going to take Windows Vista a whopping 3 hours and 30
    > minutes.
    >
    > This is happening on a machine that has a quad core 2.2ghz processor.
    >
    > Yep. Windows has vastly improved over the years. If I had winzip it
    > would probably take a 10th of that time.

    Yes, Vista is pure junk alright
    My machine is a dual core CPU with 3 gigs of RAM

    I performed a test by copying the contents of a cd to my HD,
    then deleting it.

    Took about the same amount of time with XP and Linux...
    but *double* the time in Vista...

    and that was after all the Vista updates were applied.
    Prior to the Vista updates...I never had the patience to even run the
    test as it took way too long

    philo, May 23, 2009
  6. richard

    elaich Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > Yep. Windows has vastly improved over the years. If I had winzip it
    > would probably take a 10th of that time.

    Wait until the Windows 7 nightmare is unleashed upon the world.

    Go to alt.comp.freeware to read a pretty gruesome report on it. If you
    think Vista is retarded....

    Microsft's slogan:

    "We like to piss you off.. just because we can."

    elaich, May 23, 2009