Impressions...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by mamakin1976, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. mamakin1976

    mamakin1976 Guest

    Hi all,
    I passed my core today, but just, with 575/900 - phew...

    I thought I would share my impressions with you. Don't want to scare anyone, but
    it was harder than I expected...

    The questions present real world scenarios and, although it is good to study
    books, I felt that hands-on experience is more important - and in fact I don't
    have a lot of that myself...

    Do not underestimate the exam: follow the CompTIA objectives and study
    *everything*... don't think "Ah... you won't get this kind stuff on the actual
    exam..." Another mistake I did...

    But let's come to what you *really* want to know...
    1. a lot of the latest technologies, eg wireless, bluetooth, USB 2...
    2. a lot - too much! - about software (isn't that another exam?) and "older"
    technologies: I mean Win95 vs Win95 OSR2...
    3. more networking than I expected: cabling
    4. many *tricky* questions, eg questions where one answer is required, but more
    than one answer is perfectly plausible - ie you won't get it by process of
    exclusion: you gotta know which answer they want
    5. know your processors: I had at least a couple of questions on AMD processors
    6. know your laser printers: many questions there
    7. plus all the usual suspects: IRQ, I/O, acronyms, buses speed...

    That's all I can remember... One last thing: when you click on Finish, or
    whatever that is, your score and fail/pass is thrown at your face - be
    prepared!!! I almost fell off my chair today...

    Well, that's it: if you are in the UK, I got my voucher from
    www.getcertify4less.com - only £75, instead of £100. Now I'll get the weekend
    off and start studying for OS next week. Hope you found this helpful...

    Good luck!!!

    --
    Software is like sex: it's better when it's free -- [Linus Torvalds]

    Fabio Marini - RHCT 608002292700226 and *1/2* A+...
    To reply: news [at] mamakin1976 [dot] plus [dot] com
    mamakin1976, Feb 6, 2004