Impressed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jem Raid, Nov 5, 2005.

  1. Jem Raid

    Jem Raid Guest

    "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote in message
    > Sorry for the link...
    >
    > http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    >

    > "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote in message
    >> If your an avid Irfan user like me you'd be advised to look at this one.
    >> I downloaded it for a try and I'm impressed.
    >>
    >> Mickey

    Dear Mickey,

    It's impressive, thanks.

    Jem

    ------------------------
    My Collectable Cyanotypes & Etchings;
    http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/j/jimread
    Jem Raid, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Jem Raid

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Mickey Mouse, Nov 6, 2005

  3. Jem Raid

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Mickey Mouse, Nov 6, 2005
  4. Jem Raid

    EF in FLA Guest

    > If your an avid Irfan user like me you'd be advised to look at this one.
    > I downloaded it for a try and I'm impressed.

    Picasa2 is free, so is Irfanview. Why bother with anything else?

    ef
    EF in FLA, Nov 6, 2005
  5. On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:11:35 GMT, "EF in FLA" <> wrote:

    >> If your an avid Irfan user like me you'd be advised to look at this one.
    >> I downloaded it for a try and I'm impressed.
    >>

    >Picasa2 is free, so is Irfanview. Why bother with anything else?

    Because you want better and to use a product which has strong vendor
    support and a large user base, such as Photoshop.

    "For a Texan the names of guns and caliber numbers are
    magic; Winchester and Colt and Remington and Smith & Wesson;
    .30-30 and .22, .44 and .45 and .32 and .38-Special.
    You could speak of a Texas boy's growth as his .410, his 20
    and 12 guage years."

    _Home From the Hill_
    William Humphery
    John A. Stovall, Nov 6, 2005
  6. Jem Raid

    EF in FLA Guest

    > Because you want better and to use a product which has strong vendor
    > support and a large user base, such as Photoshop.

    Apples and oranges. I'd never pretend that Picasa or Irfanview can replace
    a program like Photoshop. What does Faststone do that these two don't?

    ef
    EF in FLA, Nov 6, 2005
  7. On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:21:25 GMT, "EF in FLA" <> wrote:

    >> Because you want better and to use a product which has strong vendor
    >> support and a large user base, such as Photoshop.
    >>

    >Apples and oranges. I'd never pretend that Picasa or Irfanview can replace
    >a program like Photoshop. What does Faststone do that these two don't?

    Won't know, I use proven commercial products.

    John A. Stovall, Nov 6, 2005
  8. Jem Raid

    223rem Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:

    > Won't know, I use proven commercial products.

    Congratulations. Bill Gates loves you.
    223rem, Nov 6, 2005
  9. On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:36:06 GMT, 223rem <> wrote:

    >John A. Stovall wrote:
    >
    >> Won't know, I use proven commercial products.

    >Congratulations. Bill Gates loves you.

    No, I just make money with them and not waste my time with software
    when I can be preparing product of sale.

    Oh, and I've made a lot of money with Bill Gates over the years with
    my Microsoft stock.

    John A. Stovall, Nov 6, 2005
  10. On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 16:36:42 +1100, "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote:

    >Sorry for the link...
    >
    >http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    >

    >"Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote in message
    >> If your an avid Irfan user like me you'd be advised to look at this one.
    >> I downloaded it for a try and I'm impressed.

    Do we get any clues as to what is so impressive? (In comparison with
    Irfanview).

    --
    Stephen Poley
    Stephen Poley, Nov 6, 2005
  11. Jem Raid

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message
    >> Because you want better and to use a product which has strong vendor
    >> support and a large user base, such as Photoshop.
    >>

    > Apples and oranges. I'd never pretend that Picasa or Irfanview can
    > replace a program like Photoshop. What does Faststone do that these two
    > don't?
    >
    > ef

    Well as I recall Picasa is like a 19mb download and Photoshop costs hundreds
    of dollars. So without in any way denigrating any product, a retiree like me
    using dial-up appreciates freeware of reasonable size and PhotoPlus or
    similar at reasonable cost.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Nov 6, 2005
  12. Jem Raid

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <wCpbf.6039$>,
    says...

    > Well as I recall Picasa is like a 19mb download and Photoshop costs hundreds
    > of dollars. So without in any way denigrating any product, a retiree like me
    > using dial-up appreciates freeware of reasonable size

    Don't they have DSL in your part of the world ?
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 6, 2005
  13. Jem Raid

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/6/05 8:48 AM, in article ,
    "John A. Stovall" <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:36:06 GMT, 223rem <> wrote:
    >
    >> John A. Stovall wrote:
    >>
    >>> Won't know, I use proven commercial products.

    >> Congratulations. Bill Gates loves you.

    > No, I just make money with them and not waste my time with software
    > when I can be preparing product of sale.
    >
    > Oh, and I've made a lot of money with Bill Gates over the years with
    > my Microsoft stock.

    Sell that crap and buy Apple like I did two years ago.

    George Kerby, Nov 6, 2005
  14. On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:49:48 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:

    > "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message

    > Well as I recall Picasa is like a 19mb download

    3.94 MB is the size of the current Picasa download:

    http://picasa.google.com/index.html

    I guess a still a pretty large download over dialup -- but nowhere near
    19.2 MB.

    --
    Brian Sullivan
    Courses by Wire (http://www.coursesbywire.com)
    Brian Sullivan, Nov 6, 2005
  15. Jem Raid

    Bill Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:

    >>> Because you want better and to use a product which has strong vendor
    >>> support and a large user base, such as Photoshop.

    >> Apples and oranges. I'd never pretend that Picasa or Irfanview can
    >> replace a program like Photoshop. What does Faststone do that these two
    >> don't?
    >>

    >Well as I recall Picasa is like a 19mb download

    Just so you know, Picasa2 is only a 3.94meg download - fairly small. It
    installs and takes up about 19meg on the drive.

    While it's not a fully featured editor and organizer, I think it's
    pretty good for covering the basics. It seems good enough for someone
    just getting started in digital photography, and being free, it doesn't
    cost anything to try it.
    Bill, Nov 6, 2005
  16. On 6 Nov 2005 16:25:07 GMT, George Kerby <>
    wrote:

    >On 11/6/05 8:48 AM, in article ,
    >"John A. Stovall" <> wrote:

    >>> Congratulations. Bill Gates loves you.

    >> No, I just make money with them and not waste my time with software
    >> when I can be preparing product of sale.
    >>
    >> Oh, and I've made a lot of money with Bill Gates over the years with
    >> my Microsoft stock.
    >>

    >Sell that crap and buy Apple like I did two years ago.

    I have Apple in my portfolio also and I do all my Photoshop on an
    Apple platform with OS-X.

    "A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
    color of blood in black and white"

    David Douglas Duncan
    Speaking on why in Vietnam
    he worked only in black and white
    http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/
    John A. Stovall, Nov 6, 2005
  17. On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:55:22 +0100, Stephen Poley
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 16:36:42 +1100, "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry for the link...
    >>
    >>http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    >>

    >>"Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote in message
    >>> If your an avid Irfan user like me you'd be advised to look at this one.
    >>> I downloaded it for a try and I'm impressed.

    >Do we get any clues as to what is so impressive? (In comparison with
    >Irfanview).

    Ease of use, number of functions, integration within parts of the
    program, integration with external processes. Lots of stuff.

    I've used Irfanview off and on for several years. This FastStone
    program is very impressive.

    **********************

    remove uppercase letters for true email
    http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd/ for info on MS Access security
    Jack MacDonald, Nov 6, 2005
  18. Jem Raid

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/6/05 12:10 PM, in article ,
    "John A. Stovall" <> wrote:

    > On 6 Nov 2005 16:25:07 GMT, George Kerby <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> On 11/6/05 8:48 AM, in article ,

    >>> No, I just make money with them and not waste my time with software
    >>> when I can be preparing product of sale.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and I've made a lot of money with Bill Gates over the years with
    >>> my Microsoft stock.
    >>>

    >> Sell that crap and buy Apple like I did two years ago.

    > I have Apple in my portfolio also and I do all my Photoshop on an
    > Apple platform with OS-X.

    I held Microsoft for five+ years watching it do nothing but dwindle. Then I
    sold it, bought AAPL at ~15.5 (allowing for split). Last week, I wrote a
    covered call @ April06/$70 for half my holdings> picked up a couple of grand
    on that. If it gets called I won't mind. And I still have 800 shares. But we
    all know that the rides gonna come to an end, but when? I don't see MS doing
    anything in the future, but I've been wrong before. ;-)

    George Kerby, Nov 6, 2005
  19. On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:02:42 -0500, Bill <> wrote:

    >>> Apples and oranges. I'd never pretend that Picasa or Irfanview can
    >>> replace a program like Photoshop. What does Faststone do that these two
    >>> don't?
    >>>

    >>Well as I recall Picasa is like a 19mb download

    >Just so you know, Picasa2 is only a 3.94meg download - fairly small. It
    >installs and takes up about 19meg on the drive.
    >
    >While it's not a fully featured editor and organizer, I think it's
    >pretty good for covering the basics. It seems good enough for someone
    >just getting started in digital photography, and being free, it doesn't
    >cost anything to try it.

    I tried Picassa and agree that it's impressive. It contains a number
    of easy to use image-manipulation features. However, the one feature
    that I did not like (YMMV) is that it creates a second folder
    structure for all the images. That was enough to make me delete it
    from the computer. I found Adobe Photoshop Album (also free from
    Adobe.com) much more to my liking.

    FastStone is different from both of them.

    **********************

    Jack MacDonald, Nov 6, 2005
  20. Jem Raid

    Dogfart Guest

    On 6 Nov 2005, at 16:25:07 [GMT GMT] (03:25:07 Monday, 7 November 2005 where
    I live) "George Kerby" wrote:

    > Sell that crap and buy Apple like I did two years ago.

    Now that Novell have dumped Linux server and enterprise editions, maybe
    Micro$haft stock will soar again? My thoughts - why would a business buy
    Linux when there are so many varieties, none or all of which may be around
    tomorrow?

    (BTW writing from Australia, so maybe your info is more up to date?)
    Dogfart, Nov 6, 2005