impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take ownership

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Devvie Nuis, Apr 14, 2009.

  1. Devvie Nuis

    Devvie Nuis Guest

    Ok,

    I know my shit. I know inheretence, ownership and ntfs.

    But on Vista, I now have this windows.old folder which contains winsxs
    folder, which contains a ManifestCache bin-file.

    I cannot do ANYTHING with this file. Not with explorer, not in the
    elevated cmd-prompt...

    Before you post, I KNOW info on following sites (gives you nice
    overview, if nothing else: )

    *** http://www.edmartechguide.com/2009/03/how-to-take-ownership-on-vista-files.html
    *** http://www.vistax64.com/vista-security/46454-inheritated-permissions.html
    ***
    http://www.google.com/views?hl=en&q...ship privileges on info view:info&btnG=Search
    *** http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversion/index.php/t30807.html
    *** http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic85514.html
    *** http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/25/delete-undeletable-files-in-windows-vista/
    *** http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...d-grant-access-files-or-directories-in-vista/

    Even so, I used the script on: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=116
    just to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything...

    I'm not! : (

    The cmd script fails me with (in Dutch):
    C:\>takecontrolof.cmd c:\windows.old
    C:\>takeown /f c:\windows.old /r /d j

    Voltooid: het bestand (of de map) c:\windows.old heeft nu gebruiker
    PC_van_Dirk\
    Dirk als eigenaar.

    Voltooid: het bestand (of de map) c:\windows.old\Windows heeft nu
    gebruiker PC_v
    an_Dirk\Dirk als eigenaar.

    Voltooid: het bestand (of de map) c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs heeft
    nu gebruik
    er PC_van_Dirk\Dirk als eigenaar.

    Voltooid: het bestand (of de map) c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs
    \ManifestCache he
    eft nu gebruiker PC_van_Dirk\Dirk als eigenaar.

    Info: Toegang geweigerd. ( "c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs\ManifestCache
    \6.0.6001
    ..18000_001c50b5_blobs.bin" )

    C:\>icacls c:\windows.old /grant administrators:F /t
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old\Windows
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs\ManifestCache
    c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs\ManifestCache
    \6.0.6001.18000_001c50b5_blobs.bin: T
    oegang geweigerd.
    4 bestanden zijn verwerkt; 1 bestanden zijn niet verwerkt

    ----> "Toegang geweigerd" === "Access denied" <----
    ----> "niet verwerkt" === "not processed"

    (and same results if I run script as: C:\>takecontrolof.cmd c:
    \windows.old\*.*).

    SO...

    For the main prize... WTF is going on???

    Hard disk is NOT corrupt (I checked) and everything else is clean as
    it should.

    Also, fileunlocker is unable to remove this file... I really don't
    know... Kadaitche maybe?

    Peace and thanx in advance...

    devnullius

    Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore
    persevare
    ------
    All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the
    GNU General Public License! - ((c) 1995-2001 by Coredump; 2002-009 by
    DevNullius)
    Devvie Nuis, Apr 14, 2009

  2. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take ownership (let alone, modify ntfs permissions) - I'm about to give up : ( Kadaitch?

    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

    your time.

    The Real Truth [MS MVP], Apr 14, 2009

  3. Devvie Nuis

    Devvie Nuis Guest

    Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    Duh... Like I said, I know my sheit.

    Quote:
    "Also, fileunlocker is unable to remove this file... I really don't
    know... Kadaitche maybe?"

    So ccollomb does not help, I already tried it!

    So, appreciated, but... no :p

    Next!

    Devvie

    Conare nullius momenti videri fortasse missilibus careant
    ------
    All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the
    GNU General Public License! - (© 1995-2001 by Coredump; 2002-009 by
    DevNullius)

    Devvie Nuis, Apr 14, 2009
  4. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take ownership (let alone, modify ntfs permissions) - I'm about to give up : ( Kadaitch?

    A few more
    http://killbox.net/
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/MoveOnBoot-Download-1398.html

    The Real Truth [MS MVP], Apr 14, 2009
  5. Devvie Nuis wrote:
    > Ok,
    >
    > I know my shit. I know inheretence, ownership and ntfs.
    >
    > But on Vista, I now have this windows.old folder which contains winsxs
    > folder, which contains a ManifestCache bin-file.
    >
    > I cannot do ANYTHING with this file. Not with explorer, not in the
    > elevated cmd-prompt...
    >
    > Before you post, I KNOW info on following sites (gives you nice
    > overview, if nothing else: )
    >
    > *** http://www.edmartechguide.com/2009/03/how-to-take-ownership-on-vista-files.html
    > *** http://www.vistax64.com/vista-security/46454-inheritated-permissions.html
    > ***
    > http://www.google.com/views?hl=en&q...ship privileges on info view:info&btnG=Search
    > *** http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversion/index.php/t30807.html
    > *** http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic85514.html
    > *** http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/25/delete-undeletable-files-in-windows-vista/
    > *** http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...d-grant-access-files-or-directories-in-vista/
    >
    > Even so, I used the script on: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=116
    > just to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything...
    >
    > I'm not! : (
    >
    > The cmd script fails me with (in Dutch):
    > C:\>takecontrolof.cmd c:\windows.old
    > C:\>takeown /f c:\windows.old /r /d j

    I think you're missing a '/' in front of the 'j' switch in that line.

    I'm just guessing though.
    But it looks like no one else want to touch this problem.
    HTH

    HAND

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org
    ________ ______ _____________
    §ñühw¤£f, Apr 14, 2009
  6. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    : ) I didn't knew these two programs. Killbox is process unlocker.
    There is no blocking process. File deletion failed (ofcourse; )

    Move on boot stopped with error: access denied. Reboot aborted by
    program.

    So... Like I said, this is a stuborn one : )

    Greetz and now what...? Nasty NTFS. Nasty Microsoft. Give us
    journaling. Promissed to us long enough... (end 90's!)

    Devvie

    γιδω, Apr 14, 2009
  7. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    The option /d j is in English the option /d y

    j stands for ja
    y stand for yes
    ja means yes : )

    So script is ok; I just adjusted original script to match my
    language...

    Thanx for the moral suport :/

    Devvie

    devnullius @ gmail, Apr 14, 2009
  8. Devvie Nuis

    Devvie Nuis Guest

    Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    There is no blocking process. File deletion failed (ofcourse; )
    Move on boot stopped with error: access denied. Reboot aborted by
    program.

    So... Like I said, this is a stuborn one : )

    Greetz and now what...? Nasty NTFS. Nasty Microsoft. Give us
    journaling. Promissed to us long enough... (end 90's!)

    Devvie

    The Real Truth [MS MVP]
    Devvie Nuis, Apr 14, 2009
  9. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take ownership (let alone, modify ntfs permissions) - I'm about to give up : ( Kadaitch?

    Go to my website http://www.ms-mvp.org/ and download my userinit fix, it is
    an ISO file. Burn it to a cd and boot from it. From there used the standard
    dos delete commands. Do not follow the instructions included with the file.

    The Real Truth [MS MVP], Apr 15, 2009
  10. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    I found the solution! And I don't know my sheit afterall ; )))

    Microsoft Windows [versie 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

    C:\Windows\system32>ICACLS c:\windows.old /RESET /T /C /L
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old\Windows
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs\ManifestCache
    verwerkt bestand: c:\windows.old\Windows\winsxs\ManifestCache
    \6.0.6001.18000_001
    c50b5_blobs.bin
    5 bestanden zijn verwerkt; 0 bestanden zijn niet verwerkt

    Found the solution via:
    http://www.google.com/views?hl=en&q...privileges on info view:info&sa=N&ct=infoview
    , which gave me the following site and info.

    Remark: the solution below suggests that inherritance was the problem.
    It was NOT! I KNOW all this. Really. All actions with explorer ended
    with errors and access denied. The reset switch truely seems to add
    some much needed fun : )

    Thanx to everyone!

    The Truth should prevale... ; )

    Devvie

    Below solution from source.

    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-security/46454-inheritated-permissions.html

    Copy-paste:
    Eric the Grey
    Guest

    n/a posts

    Re: Inheritated Permissions
    That was the key! I actually thought about it for a few seconds before
    dropping off to sleep this morning, after my last posting. Simply
    taking
    ownership of the files wasn't enough though. I had to remove the
    inherited
    permissions before I could do anything with the files, like move,
    delete,
    etc. Every time I tried to do anything like that, I was faced with
    UAC.

    ICACLS * /RESET /T /C /L

    This is the command and switches I used to reset the inherited
    permissions.
    It also removed the old owner from the file security completely.

    It also runs recursively through sub-directories, so I was able to
    simply
    run it at the root of the drive, and grab everything... It took some
    time,
    given that not only do I have all the video, but my entire music
    collection
    (22 gigs worth) on this drive as well...

    Thank you again for the help. Hopefully, if someone else has this
    issue,
    they can find it here.

    Eric the Grey

    devnullius @ gmail, Apr 15, 2009
  11. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    I didn't test a live cd... I should have tried, but I did not have my
    "tools" with me : )

    I suspect it wouldn't delete the file in a Live cd environment. The
    file was not in use, now according to two programs : )

    Thanx for the help! For a MVP I actually liked your advices... ; )

    Peace!

    Devvie

    devnullius @ gmail, Apr 15, 2009
  12. Devvie Nuis

    Leythos Guest

    Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take ownership (let alone, modify ntfs permissions) - I'm about to give up : ( Kadaitch?

    In article <EG8Fl.24642$>,
    says...
    > Go to my website

    The site is a pirate site, it contains pirated code from others that
    have had the credits modified to give butts credit.

    Some of the tools will also block access to very reputable anti-malware
    sites without warning you.

    No person of reasonable mind will download anything from that hack site
    - and it's not a Microsoft or even an MVP site.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)
    Public Service Warning: Learn about PCButts before you trust:
    Leythos, Apr 15, 2009
  13. Devvie Nuis

    Leythos Guest

    Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take ownership (let alone, modify ntfs permissions) - I'm about to give up : ( Kadaitch?

    In article <d491506a-de2d-464f-88da-d5d66e724607
    @x3g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > Thanx for the help! For a MVP I actually liked your advices... ; )

    Chris is NOT an MVP, he's a known pirate and takes credit for other
    authors codes/programs.

    Leythos, Apr 15, 2009
  14. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    I followed some of your Google... Seems to be a nice enough guy. I'm a
    "pirate" myself, and I really don't like the moral uprightnesness I
    read in your links... They are from the same people that actually need
    ppl like me to fix THEIR mess and THEIR bad software choices. Somebody
    has to test and judge. Pirates do. Moralists don't. They just do like
    others and nag like others...

    So... IF you are on a moral crucade - stop. IF there truely are virii
    or malware, point them out.

    So (s)he not being an MVP might actually explain why I liked the
    comments...?

    Thanx for reading,

    Mrs D. Nuis,
    the Netherlands.

    devnullius @ gmail, Apr 15, 2009
  15. Devvie Nuis

    Guest

    "devnullius @ gmail" <> wrote:

    >I followed some of your Google... Seems to be a nice enough guy. I'm a
    >"pirate" myself,

    Then download Hirens_BootCD iso and create a boot disk. I find it a
    must have utility CD. You can use a file manager to work with your
    file.

    http://thepiratebay.org/search/Hirens BootCD/0/99/300
    Read the replies (thepiratebay.org) and grab one that others endorse.

    --

    The-100-most-iconic-internet-videos
    http://www.urlesque.com/2009/04/07/the-100-most-iconic-internet-videos/
  16. Devvie Nuis

    Tony Guest

    Try "File Renamer" from Princeton Software Company Version 1.1. If you're thinking did i write the program? No, i was at Princeton and quit
    when i found too many immigrants at the University.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Apr 15, 2009
  17. Devvie Nuis

    Leythos Guest

    Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take ownership (let alone, modify ntfs permissions) - I'm about to give up : ( Kadaitch?

    In article <ae2548a2-3e8d-4b3c-9ed3-e7e5280c4039
    @y7g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > So... IF you are on a moral crucade - stop. IF there truely are virii
    > or malware, point them out.

    If you count blocking access to valid anti-malware sites as bad then you
    need to count him as bad and his tools as bad.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
    Leythos, Apr 15, 2009
  18. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    On 14 apr, 20:41, Tony <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > persevare
    > > ------
    > > All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the
    > > GNU General Public License! - ((c) 1995-2001 by Coredump; 2002-009 by
    > > DevNullius)

    > --
    > The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG
    >
    > Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city
    >
    > Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners
    >
    > Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs,
    >
    > Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!
    >
    > El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar
    >
    > Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man
    >
    > Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of understandability
    >
    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    vuck racists. Devvie does NOT condone... PEACE for all : P

    Devvnullius
    devnullius @ gmail, Apr 15, 2009
  19. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take

    Nullius in verba...

    On 14 apr, 21:47, Leythos <> wrote:
    > --
    > - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

    Heu facinus! Non est hostis metuendus amanti.

    > - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
    >   drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

    Dum inter homines sumus, colamus humanitatem... Aequat omnes cinis! :

    Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem,

    Devvie.
    devnullius @ gmail, Apr 15, 2009
  20. Re: impossible to delete file because it is impossible to take ownership

    devnullius @ gmail spilled the beans:
    > The option /d j is in English the option /d y
    >
    > j stands for ja
    > y stand for yes
    > ja means yes : )
    >
    > So script is ok; I just adjusted original script to match my
    > language...
    >
    > Thanx for the moral suport :/
    >
    > Devvie

    Sure. It shamed the others into adressing the issue in another thread :)

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org
    §ñühw¤£f, Apr 15, 2009