Importing Outlook Express (WinME) data into Outlook 2000?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jules, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    I'm just upgraded a machine from Windows ME to NT 2000 with Outlook 2000
    on there.

    I've put a new hard disk in the machine with Win2k on, and configured the
    old WinME disk as a slave whilst I copy data off.

    How do I import old Outlook Express data from the old slave disk into
    Outlook 2000 though?

    I've found the import option under Outlook 2000; of course it complains
    about not finding Outlook Express data locations in the registry (because
    that's in the non-loaded registry on the slave disk) and asks me to
    specify the mailbox / address book location manually.

    Problem is, none of the standard locations I've seen referenced on the
    'net (actually on Microsoft's own site) exist. In fact, a search on the
    slave disk for *.dbf turns up only one likely location:

    "E:\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Identities\{1B7CFD16-9C4F-474C-981D-4693FBF7E229}\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express"

    (sorry for wrapping)

    String of hex digits seems rather strange! Definitely inbox / outbox etc.
    data files in there - but Outlook 2000 refuses to acknowledge that the
    directory contains Outlook Express data for import :-(

    Any ideas? (Win2k machine is patched to SP4 by the way)

    cheers

    Jules

    Jules, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Jules

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Use OE on the 2000 box to import them, then when you open Outlook it should
    detect then new OE files and ask to import them.

    pcbutts1, Apr 22, 2005

  3. Jules

    MrGrumpy Guest

    OE and OL needs to be on the same sys, ie same registry.
    Try imprting files to OE - the new install - then Export to OL

    MrGrumpy, Apr 22, 2005