    about the procedure to succeed.
    Thunderbird won't accept the OE format...

    Any hint is appreciated since I want to run away from OE earlier than later!

    Sigi Rindler, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Sigi Rindler

    Old Gringo Guest

    Sigi Rindler wrote:
    > I am new to Thunderbird. I can use it, but have failed to import the Address
    > Book which had been generated by Outlook Express 6.0.
    > Is there any converter from OE to Thunderbird? If not, where can I read
    > about the procedure to succeed.
    > Thunderbird won't accept the OE format...
    >
    > Any hint is appreciated since I want to run away from OE earlier than later!

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

    Click the tools tab and select address book. Then select Tools, then
    Import. then put a dot in address books. click next and select
    Outlook Express and click next. then click finish. should be done.
    Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Jul 22, 2005

  3. Sigi Rindler

    Old Gringo Guest

    Sigi Rindler wrote:
    > I am new to Thunderbird. I can use it, but have failed to import the Address
    > Book which had been generated by Outlook Express 6.0.
    > Is there any converter from OE to Thunderbird? If not, where can I read
    > about the procedure to succeed.
    > Thunderbird won't accept the OE format...
    >
    > Any hint is appreciated since I want to run away from OE earlier than later!

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

    Note: When composing email, if you have your contacts listed in the
    side panel on left there is a drop down window for address books they
    should all be there.

    Old Gringo, Jul 22, 2005
  4. Sigi Rindler

    Z Guest

    Sigi Rindler wrote:
    > I am new to Thunderbird. I can use it, but have failed to import the Address
    > Book which had been generated by Outlook Express 6.0.
    > Is there any converter from OE to Thunderbird? If not, where can I read
    > about the procedure to succeed.
    > Thunderbird won't accept the OE format...

    Have you tried:
    Tools > Import > Address Books > Outlook Express
    (if successful, they will be in the Outlook Express Address Book in TB)

    If that doesn't work, export the addresses from OE to a file, then
    Tools > Import > Address Books > Text file ...
    Z, Jul 22, 2005
  5. Sigi Rindler

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:35:12 +0900, in message
     <>, Sigi Rindler wrote:

    > I am new to Thunderbird. I can use it, but have failed to import the Address
    > Book which had been generated by Outlook Express 6.0.
    > Is there any converter from OE to Thunderbird? If not, where can I read
    > about the procedure to succeed.
    > Thunderbird won't accept the OE format...
    >
    > Any hint is appreciated since I want to run away from OE earlier than later!

    Tell us.
    How are you attempting to import the OE address book into Thunderbird?

    1. The usual way is to use

    Tools -> Import -> (•) Address Books -> "Next >" -> Outlook Express

    This requires Outlook Express to be installed, and will import an
    address book from the installed Outlook Express.

    2. Are you instead doing this instead?

    Tools -> Import -> (•) Address Books -> "Next >" -> Text File (LDIF, .tab, .csv, .txt)

    and then selecting the .wab file, even though .wab is not one of the
    supported file formats shown?

    Supported formats are shown on the import wizard

    • LDIF (LDAP Data Interchange File) -- extensions: .ldif, .ldi
    • CSV (Comma-Separated Values) -- extensions: .csv
    • TSV (Tab Separated Values) -- extensions: .tab, .txt
    The extension .tsv is also used for tab-separated values files.
    but Thunderbird does not look for the .tsv extension.

    All of the address book file formats shown on the import wizard
    are "Text Files" as they can be viewed in a plain text editor.
    The .wab files are not "Text Files" as they cannot be viewed in
    a plain text editor.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before
    Ralph Fox, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Sigi Rindler

    Sarah Guest

    I had this same problem, but figured it out.
    In OE, you click on file, go down to export, choose address book. Then
    you choose text file (CSV). Save it somewhere you'll remember it.

    THen in thunderbird, go to tools, address book, then tools and import,
    and choose that CSV file and it will import your addresses. It worked
    for me, it just put it in the file called outlook express address
    import, not in the main one. Make sure you choose Text file though, or
    it wont work.

    Sarah, Jul 24, 2005