  1. Hi
    error message says codec not installed to play on my computer (although it
    does play in windows media player). which codec would i need? thx

    =?Utf-8?B?R2F6?=, May 23, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2F6?=

    Theo Guest

    According to Windows Movie Maker help:

    Download codecs automatically

    Specifies that Windows Movie Maker attempts to download
    codecs automatically when you choose to import a video or
    audio file that uses a codec that is not installed on your
    computer. You must be connected to the Internet for this
    option to work. If the appropriate codec is found on a
    Microsoft Web site, the codec is then downloaded and
    installed silently without any user intervention.

    If you do not want codecs to be installed automatically on
    your computer, clear this check box. To install codecs, you
    must have the appropriate Administrator permissions.

    Theo, May 23, 2007

  3. Gaz:
    The mpg file plays fine in WMP because (the default WMP) it is a 32-bit app
    and there is also a 32-bit mpg decoder in your OS (You make no mention to it
    but I guess it is Vista x64).
    Movie Maker is 64-bit and there is no default 64-bit mpg decoder installed.
    So, it "rejects" the mpg video on account of that.

    Solution:
    You need a 64-bit decoder.
    Where:
    http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffdshow/
    Download link:
    http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffdshow/ffdshow64-rev2546.exe
    This is the 64-bit version of the multiformat decoder ffdshow.

    Install it and you will also be able to use WMP 64-bit, the one buried in
    the Program Files folder.

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 23, 2007