Importing mail rules into Thunderbird from Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by GbH, Oct 12, 2007.

  1. GbH

    GbH Guest

    Can you help me please, I've tried looking for a relevant post or two on
    the subject but can't find any.
    I have used Outlook Express for many years now and lived with its many
    failings. One of its attractions was being able to handle news as well
    as email.
    I understand Thunderbird is also able to achieve this. I did try TB a
    while back but found I couldn't import my mail rules, not that I could
    get them out of OE at that time, but that's a different story.
    I have a veritable forest of folders and rules.
    Is there a way of doing this export/import? A supplementary question,
    when importing existing messages from the OE message store does the
    folder structure come over? I'm currently up to OE6.
    TIA Geoff Hannington.

    --
    Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I wish I could
    remember the darn question

    GbH, Oct 12, 2007

  2. GbH wrote:
    > Can you help me please, I've tried looking for a relevant post or two on
    > the subject but can't find any.
    > I have used Outlook Express for many years now and lived with its many
    > failings. One of its attractions was being able to handle news as well
    > as email.
    > I understand Thunderbird is also able to achieve this. I did try TB a
    > while back but found I couldn't import my mail rules, not that I could
    > get them out of OE at that time, but that's a different story.
    > I have a veritable forest of folders and rules.
    > Is there a way of doing this export/import? A supplementary question,
    > when importing existing messages from the OE message store does the
    > folder structure come over? I'm currently up to OE6.
    > TIA Geoff Hannington.

    I don't know if you can import Rules [in TB they're called
    Filters], but did you try Tools, Import?

    As for mail, yes, and again, try Tools, Import. But I
    believe everything will be imported into a directory called
    Outlook which will be placed under the Local Folders

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 13, 2007

  3. GbH

    GbH Guest

    In news:fepou0$j8c$,
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wibbled :
    > GbH wrote:
    >> Can you help me please, I've tried looking for a relevant post or
    >> two on the subject but can't find any.
    >> I have used Outlook Express for many years now and lived with its
    >> many failings. One of its attractions was being able to handle news
    >> as well as email.
    >> I understand Thunderbird is also able to achieve this. I did try TB a
    >> while back but found I couldn't import my mail rules, not that I
    >> could get them out of OE at that time, but that's a different story.
    >> I have a veritable forest of folders and rules.
    >> Is there a way of doing this export/import? A supplementary question,
    >> when importing existing messages from the OE message store does the
    >> folder structure come over? I'm currently up to OE6.
    >> TIA Geoff Hannington.
    >>

    > I don't know if you can import Rules [in TB they're called
    > Filters], but did you try Tools, Import?

    At the time, yes I did. It managed to import my messages but not the
    message store structure. IIRC it got my account/connection info, but
    failed spectacularly on rules or filters.
    I was asking in the hopes this mechanism had been addressed in a later
    rev.
    I have maybe a thousand folders each with its own rule(s), recoding each
    manually is not awfully attractive!

    GbH, Oct 13, 2007
  4. GbH

    GbH Guest

    In news:,
    GbH <> wibbled :
    > In news:fepou0$j8c$,
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wibbled :
    >> GbH wrote:
    >>> Can you help me please, I've tried looking for a relevant post or
    >>> two on the subject but can't find any.
    >>> I have used Outlook Express for many years now and lived with its
    >>> many failings. One of its attractions was being able to handle news
    >>> as well as email.
    >>> I understand Thunderbird is also able to achieve this. I did try TB
    >>> a while back but found I couldn't import my mail rules, not that I
    >>> could get them out of OE at that time, but that's a different story.
    >>> I have a veritable forest of folders and rules.
    >>> Is there a way of doing this export/import? A supplementary
    >>> question, when importing existing messages from the OE message
    >>> store does the folder structure come over? I'm currently up to OE6.
    >>> TIA Geoff Hannington.
    >>>

    >> I don't know if you can import Rules [in TB they're called
    >> Filters], but did you try Tools, Import?

    > At the time, yes I did. It managed to import my messages but not the
    > message store structure. IIRC it got my account/connection info, but
    > failed spectacularly on rules or filters.
    > I was asking in the hopes this mechanism had been addressed in a later
    > rev.
    > I have maybe a thousand folders each with its own rule(s), recoding
    > each manually is not awfully attractive!
    >

    >> As for mail, yes, and again, try Tools, Import. But I
    >> believe everything will be imported into a directory called
    >> Outlook which will be placed under the Local Folders

    Just installed 2.0.0.0.0.6?
    I can verify it imports my folders with their structure and contents,
    also my address book again with structure and contents. I doesn't manage
    to acquire my filters, nor surprisingly my accounts information so I
    can't actually receive nor send email with it. So basically its got hold
    of the data but I can't do much with it.
    Should I be attaching add-ons to accomplish these things?

    GbH, Oct 13, 2007
  5. GbH wrote:
    > In news:,
    > GbH <> wibbled :
    >> In news:fepou0$j8c$,
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wibbled :
    >>>>
    >>> I don't know if you can import Rules [in TB they're called
    >>> Filters], but did you try Tools, Import?

    >> At the time, yes I did. It managed to import my messages but not the
    >> message store structure. IIRC it got my account/connection info, but
    >> failed spectacularly on rules or filters.
    >> I was asking in the hopes this mechanism had been addressed in a later
    >> rev.
    >> I have maybe a thousand folders each with its own rule(s), recoding
    >> each manually is not awfully attractive!
    >>
    >>> As for mail, yes, and again, try Tools, Import. But I
    >>> believe everything will be imported into a directory called
    >>> Outlook which will be placed under the Local Folders

    > Just installed 2.0.0.0.0.6?
    > I can verify it imports my folders with their structure and contents,
    > also my address book again with structure and contents. I doesn't manage
    > to acquire my filters, nor surprisingly my accounts information so I
    > can't actually receive nor send email with it. So basically its got hold
    > of the data but I can't do much with it.
    > Should I be attaching add-ons to accomplish these things?

    add-ons: you can look for something:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

    you can search mozillazine:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Knowledge_Base

    you can search mozillazine forums:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/search.php?mode=results

    you can ask a question of the forum, or you can try asking
    on the mozilla.support.thunderbird newsgroup which is on the
    news.mozilla.org server.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 13, 2007