Importing from ver 4 (Mac) to 2004 (Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GC, May 12, 2004.

  1. GC

    GC Guest

    My dad has a really old version of Quicken.... version 4 on his old
    Macintosh.

    He wants to export all the info from this version into Quicken 2004 on his
    new PC.

    I don't know much about Quicken or how files are handled.... but I've tried
    doing what it says in the help files but that refers to version 6, not
    version 4....
    The quicken web site doesn't seem to support this version at all.
    All I really want to know how to do is export the data from this old version
    to a new version..... Can I do this???
    Anyone know how???
    I tried to do "Save Copy To" then saved it as TEST.QIF....

    I went to the PC and tried to import, it said something like no valid
    data....
    So either I'm doing something wrong or it doesn't work between these
    version.....
    I think I'm doing it wrong though because when I ask it to import it asks me
    what account.......
    I want to import EVERYTHING..... so my dad can simply load up quicken and
    access his stuff similar to how he did it before.
    So can anyone help me with this issue??
    Thanks!
    GC, May 12, 2004

  2. GC

    John Pollard Guest

    GC wrote:
    > My dad has a really old version of Quicken.... version 4 on

    his
    > old Macintosh.
    >
    > He wants to export all the info from this version into Quicken
    > 2004 on his new PC.
    >
    > I don't know much about Quicken or how files are handled....
    > but I've tried doing what it says in the help files but that
    > refers to version 6, not version 4....
    > The quicken web site doesn't seem to support this version at
    > all.
    > All I really want to know how to do is export the data from
    > this old version to a new version..... Can I do this???
    > Anyone know how???
    > I tried to do "Save Copy To" then saved it as TEST.QIF....
    >
    > I went to the PC and tried to import, it said something like

    no
    > valid data....
    > So either I'm doing something wrong or it doesn't work between
    > these version.....
    > I think I'm doing it wrong though because when I ask it to
    > import it asks me what account.......
    > I want to import EVERYTHING..... so my dad can simply load up
    > quicken and access his stuff similar to how he did it before.
    > So can anyone help me with this issue??
    > Thanks!

    I know nothing about Macs, but I suspect that you will need to
    export to QIF files and import those files into Q2004. If so, I
    strongly suggest you go here;

    http://groups.msn.com/QuickenUsers

    and read the faq (Document) about merging Quicken files. While
    you may not consider yourself to be needing to "merge" files,
    the steps described in that faq should still be a big help I
    believe. If you have problems with any of the specifics
    mentioned there, post back here with your questions.

    (Technically, you can import to "All Accounts" though this
    frequently produces more problems than it is worth).

    --
    John Pollard
    First Last at Bellsouth dot net
    John Pollard, May 12, 2004

  3. GC

    jspud Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:10:02 +1000, "GC" <>
    wrote:

    >My dad has a really old version of Quicken.... version 4 on his old
    >Macintosh.
    >
    >He wants to export all the info from this version into Quicken 2004 on his
    >new PC.
    >
    >I don't know much about Quicken or how files are handled.... but I've tried
    >doing what it says in the help files but that refers to version 6, not
    >version 4....
    >The quicken web site doesn't seem to support this version at all.
    >All I really want to know how to do is export the data from this old version
    >to a new version..... Can I do this???
    >Anyone know how???
    >I tried to do "Save Copy To" then saved it as TEST.QIF....
    >
    >I went to the PC and tried to import, it said something like no valid
    >data....
    >So either I'm doing something wrong or it doesn't work between these
    >version.....
    >I think I'm doing it wrong though because when I ask it to import it asks me
    >what account.......
    >I want to import EVERYTHING..... so my dad can simply load up quicken and
    >access his stuff similar to how he did it before.
    >So can anyone help me with this issue??
    >Thanks!

    Ask this question in alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, they should
    have the answer.
    jspud, May 13, 2004
  4. In article <c7sp8d$je9$>, Gc wrote:
    > My dad has a really old version of Quicken.... version 4 on his old
    > Macintosh.

    Quicken 4 Mac was a long time ago....

    > All I really want to know how to do is export the data from this old

    version
    > to a new version..

    From memory, you should be able to find an Export command on the File menu.
    Use it to export everything to QIF then import that into Quicken Windows.

    The QIF file is a text file that can be edited using Notepad or MS Word. I
    suspect you will need to do some manual editing to fix errors in the transfer
    process. Once it's on the PC, you may find a line or so of binary header that
    you need to remove.

    Good Luck!

    Mike Blake-Knox
    Mike Blake-Knox, May 14, 2004