Importing from The Bat to Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by wps, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. wps

    wps Guest

    Just installed Thunderbird 0.8 on my Windows XP system. I'd like to import
    my address book and saved messages from The Bat. A Google search found
    soms hits that said I can just export a The Bat mail folder into an msf
    file in the windows folder as my other mail file and TB will recognize it.
    I did that but it doesn't work.

    Any ideas?

    Also, how can I change the place TB saves mail? I really don't want it in
    "Documents and Settings".

    Many thanks
     
    wps, Oct 6, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. wps wrote:
    > Just installed Thunderbird 0.8 on my Windows XP system. I'd like to import
    > my address book and saved messages from The Bat. A Google search found
    > soms hits that said I can just export a The Bat mail folder into an msf
    > file in the windows folder as my other mail file and TB will recognize it.
    > I did that but it doesn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Also, how can I change the place TB saves mail? I really don't want it in
    > "Documents and Settings".
    >
    > Many thanks
    >


    No the msf files in TB are the summary files. The actual mail is stored
    in the files without extension, such as Inbox. If the Bat stores mail
    in hte same format as TB, (and I have no idea if it does or not) you
    could just copy the mail files into the appropriate place in the TB
    profile, and it would show as new folder. You might have to rename it,
    say BatInbox, with no extension. You could then sort your mail as you
    see fit in TB.

    To set a non default location for the mail files, click Tools>>Account
    Settings>>(account in question) Server Settings. Under LocaL Directory,
    click browse and navigate to the desired location.

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 6, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. wps

    wps Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    news:AkV8d.670599$:

    >
    > No the msf files in TB are the summary files. The actual mail is
    > stored in the files without extension, such as Inbox. If the Bat
    > stores mail in hte same format as TB, (and I have no idea if it does
    > or not) you could just copy the mail files into the appropriate place
    > in the TB profile, and it would show as new folder. You might have to
    > rename it, say BatInbox, with no extension. You could then sort your
    > mail as you see fit in TB.


    I figured it out. I created folder Foo in TB which dutifully created Foo
    and Foo.msf. Then in Bat I exported all the messages in Foo folder into
    file Foo. Took TB a while to see the messages but it worked. One folder
    down, 76 to go.
    >
    > To set a non default location for the mail files, click Tools>>Account
    > Settings>>(account in question) Server Settings. Under LocaL
    > Directory, click browse and navigate to the desired location.


    I tried that and it didn't work. The field that contains the location is
    grayed out. The Browse button lets me drill down to the desired location,
    but it doesn't accept the change.

    Thanks for your help
     
    wps, Oct 6, 2004
    #3
  4. wps wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    > news:AkV8d.670599$:
    >
    >
    >>No the msf files in TB are the summary files. The actual mail is
    >>stored in the files without extension, such as Inbox. If the Bat
    >>stores mail in hte same format as TB, (and I have no idea if it does
    >>or not) you could just copy the mail files into the appropriate place
    >>in the TB profile, and it would show as new folder. You might have to
    >>rename it, say BatInbox, with no extension. You could then sort your
    >>mail as you see fit in TB.

    >
    >
    > I figured it out. I created folder Foo in TB which dutifully created Foo
    > and Foo.msf. Then in Bat I exported all the messages in Foo folder into
    > file Foo. Took TB a while to see the messages but it worked. One folder
    > down, 76 to go.
    >
    >>To set a non default location for the mail files, click Tools>>Account
    >>Settings>>(account in question) Server Settings. Under LocaL
    >>Directory, click browse and navigate to the desired location.

    >
    >
    > I tried that and it didn't work. The field that contains the location is
    > grayed out. The Browse button lets me drill down to the desired location,
    > but it doesn't accept the change.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >


    What version of TB are you using? This was an issue, only for Local
    Folders in the most recent release version. The adjustment can be made
    by adjusting prefs.js directly, but its easier using the UI.

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 6, 2004
    #4
  5. wps

    wps Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    news:1yX8d.670980$:

    >>

    >
    > What version of TB are you using? This was an issue, only for Local
    > Folders in the most recent release version. The adjustment can be
    > made by adjusting prefs.js directly, but its easier using the UI.


    Version 0.8, downloaded today. I finally figured it out. The window where
    you can change the location is too small, so the Local Directory field and
    Browse button didn't appear. I was clicking on the Browse button in the
    Local Folders account, as opposed to my account. I dorked around with my
    Windows Display properties and finally got it appear.

    Sloppy programming. The developer should've made the window scrollable.
     
    wps, Oct 6, 2004
    #5
  6. wps wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    > news:1yX8d.670980$:
    >
    >
    >>What version of TB are you using? This was an issue, only for Local
    >>Folders in the most recent release version. The adjustment can be
    >>made by adjusting prefs.js directly, but its easier using the UI.

    >
    >
    > Version 0.8, downloaded today. I finally figured it out. The window where
    > you can change the location is too small, so the Local Directory field and
    > Browse button didn't appear. I was clicking on the Browse button in the
    > Local Folders account, as opposed to my account. I dorked around with my
    > Windows Display properties and finally got it appear.
    >
    > Sloppy programming. The developer should've made the window scrollable.
    >


    What theme are you using. If you are using a 3rd party theme, try
    switching to the default theme, it should show there, as that's what its
    designed for. If a third party theme breaks it, its the themer's
    problem, not the TB developers.

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 7, 2004
    #6
  7. wps

    wps Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    news:ec09d.671815$:


    >
    > What theme are you using. If you are using a 3rd party theme, try
    > switching to the default theme, it should show there, as that's what
    > its designed for. If a third party theme breaks it, its the themer's
    > problem, not the TB developers.


    I'm running the default theme. So far I've found a couple of windows in TB
    that are too small. For example Tools->Options->General. At the bottom of
    the window, in the "When new messages arrive" section, where you can
    specify a specific wav file to play, the bottom 3/4 of the line is missing.
    Fortunately I can still click on the top of the "Browse" button.

    I wonder what other goodies are completely hidden.

    Sloppy programming. Glad it didn't cost me anything.
     
    wps, Oct 7, 2004
    #7
  8. wps wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    > news:ec09d.671815$:
    >
    >
    >
    >>What theme are you using. If you are using a 3rd party theme, try
    >>switching to the default theme, it should show there, as that's what
    >>its designed for. If a third party theme breaks it, its the themer's
    >>problem, not the TB developers.

    >
    >
    > I'm running the default theme. So far I've found a couple of windows in TB
    > that are too small. For example Tools->Options->General. At the bottom of
    > the window, in the "When new messages arrive" section, where you can
    > specify a specific wav file to play, the bottom 3/4 of the line is missing.
    > Fortunately I can still click on the top of the "Browse" button.


    Perfectly displayed and all options are available from here, TB0.8 and
    default theme. Same for Local Directory, in Server Settings, as we
    discussed earlier.
    >
    > I wonder what other goodies are completely hidden.
    >


    Nothing at all, everything displays. I checked it in a profile with no
    extensions, and default theme, and the behavior is exactly as it should
    be here. The problem seems to be on your end.

    > Sloppy programming. Glad it didn't cost me anything.


    I'm glad it didn't cost anything either. But since its working for me,
    could it possibly be something specific to your system or installation
    of the program, rather then a problem with the program itself.

    I would be interested in the input of other users, as to whether this is
    a problem for anyone else but you.

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 7, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. _
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    525
    Wayne Barber
    Jun 22, 2004
  2. Chaos Master
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    609
    Chaos Master
    Jul 25, 2004
  3. Pun Krocker

    Importing Thunderbird to Mozilla?

    Pun Krocker, Aug 29, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    372
    Moz Champion
    Aug 30, 2004
  4. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,852
    Leonidas Jones
    Dec 9, 2004
  5. Ray  Drouillard

    Importing from Mozilla mail to Thunderbird

    Ray Drouillard, Jan 25, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    663
    Ray Drouillard
    Jan 31, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page