    of the same names, but the files then aren't recognised. Under import
    email files, there is no entry for importing older Mozilla files.
    What next?

    Oz, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Oz wrote:
    > Using Mozilla 1.4, I need to access email files from an older version
    > of Mozilla (I think 1.2). I've got a backup of all the files from
    > c:\windows\Application data\mozilla of the older version. I tried
    > replacing the user files from the newer version with the older files
    > of the same names, but the files then aren't recognised. Under import
    > email files, there is no entry for importing older Mozilla files.
    > What next?

    Since the file format for email hasn't changed, there should be no need
    for an import. Replacing the files in the 1.4 profile with the 1.2
    files ought to work.

    The question is what went wrong?

    Here is what you should do, though remember, back up everything before
    you begin hacking.

    Set up all your email accounts in 1.4, in the same order as they appear
    in 1.2. Then find the file for that account:

    C:\windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\(profilename)\xxxxxxxx.slt\Mail

    You should find a folder for the first account you want, something like,
    which will ne identified by the name of your isp's pop3 server.

    pop.isp.com

    or something like that. Paste the corresponding folder from the old
    folder in and let it overwrite the existing one.

    This has been done with Moz closed. Open up Mozmail and you should see
    the old mail.

    I must ask, why are you using such outdated versions of Mozilla? The
    current release version is 1.7.3, which includes many enhancments, and
    security fixes.

    You could simply try downloading and installing 1.7.3, and let it use
    your old 1.2 profile. That should make all your old mail available
    without any fuss.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 10, 2004