    incompatible with older profile setup files?

    I'm currently using Mozilla 1.7.11 in Windows. It would probably
    be a good idea to replace it with a new version while I'm at it...
    HT, Oct 25, 2005

  2. HT wrote:
    > It seems like my profile has become corrupt, so I was wondering if
    > there's a way I can easily import all the data (email messages, email
    > account settings, passwords, address-book data etc.) from a freshly
    > created profile?
    > I'd hate to manually enter each account, then point to the folder of
    > where the mail is etc. I have quite a few email accounts.
    >

    > What I've done in the past (even when upgrading to newer versions of
    > Mozilla) is create a profile with the same name as before, then choose
    > the profile-folder, pointing to the old one. Perhaps this isn't the way
    > to do it as newer versions of Mozilla might be incompatible with older
    > profile setup files?
    >
    > I'm currently using Mozilla 1.7.11 in Windows. It would probably be a
    > good idea to replace it with a new version while I'm at it...

    The upgrade to 1.7.12 is recommended for security fixes.

    The problem you may have is that if you try to transfer the entire
    profile, you may be transferring the corruption. Read through Irwin
    Greenwald's help page on profiles:

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html

    In order to set up a new profile with all the accounts already on place,
    you would have to copy over prefs.js, which may very well be where your
    problem lies with the old profile.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 25, 2005