Imported Digital Camera

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    In the market for a digital camera, and I've short-listed down to four
    cameras.

    Checking internet sites show that I can save around $200 dollars on
    RRP of $1300. This would still get me an NZ sourced camera with local
    warranty, but means that I would need to return the camera if anything
    goes wrong under warranty. Not sure if that means return back to the
    dealer, or to the original NZ supplier.

    However, there is a firm in Auckland http//www.etown.co.nz that is
    even cheaper, with one camera that I'm interested in showing at $939
    against $1299 RRP (plus extras).

    Their address is shown as:
    Queens Arcade,
    34 Queen Street,
    Auckland.

    The only thing stopping me from purchasing from Etown is that they
    import direct from overseas.

    Apart from checking that the camera comes with all normal accessories,
    and what the warranty conditions are if any, is there anything else I
    should be aware of with imported cameras?

    Has anyone in the group purchased from this firm?

    Any advice, or recommendations, would be appreciated.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 13, 2003

  2. John

    KS Guest

    > Checking internet sites show that I can save around $200 dollars on
    > RRP of $1300. This would still get me an NZ sourced camera with local
    > warranty, but means that I would need to return the camera if anything
    > goes wrong under warranty. Not sure if that means return back to the
    > dealer, or to the original NZ supplier.

    Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago, they
    had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
    into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
    assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
    assembled camera, and not need a warranty.

    For another gamble, you can import some cameras directly into NZ for US
    based shops, and save even more.

    www.bhphotovideo.com is one well known shop in New York that ships
    internationally.

    > The only thing stopping me from purchasing from Etown is that they
    > import direct from overseas.

    Well technically everyone is importing from overseas ! But, they key to
    warranties is the wording. Minolta for example offer a world
    wide/international warranty. However it turns out that Minolta USA won't
    honour warranties for cameras purchased overseas then brought back to the
    USA. The camera would have to go back to the source for warranty - if you go
    to rec.photo.digital for some intersting reads about this and other so
    called international warranties and tips for digital photography.

    Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
    have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
    simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

    KS, Dec 13, 2003

  3. John

    Peter S Guest

    "KS" <> wrote in message
    > > Checking internet sites show that I can save around $200 dollars on
    > > RRP of $1300. This would still get me an NZ sourced camera with local
    > > warranty, but means that I would need to return the camera if anything
    > > goes wrong under warranty. Not sure if that means return back to the
    > > dealer, or to the original NZ supplier.

    > Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago,

    they
    > had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
    > into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
    > assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
    > assembled camera, and not need a warranty.
    >
    > For another gamble, you can import some cameras directly into NZ for US
    > based shops, and save even more.
    >
    > www.bhphotovideo.com is one well known shop in New York that ships
    > internationally.
    >
    > > The only thing stopping me from purchasing from Etown is that they
    > > import direct from overseas.

    > Well technically everyone is importing from overseas ! But, they key to
    > warranties is the wording. Minolta for example offer a world
    > wide/international warranty. However it turns out that Minolta USA won't
    > honour warranties for cameras purchased overseas then brought back to the
    > USA. The camera would have to go back to the source for warranty - if you

    go
    > to rec.photo.digital for some intersting reads about this and other so
    > called international warranties and tips for digital photography.
    >
    > Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
    > have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
    > simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

    Cameras are the one thing you can negotiate on easily. Find the cheapest
    price you can, print out the evidence, and then go to your local shop with
    that evidence and they will match or better the price. You will get the
    warranty. This, of course won't work on overseas prices. I've never really
    seen any overseas price that are substantially lower than what you can get
    here with negotiation.

    Cameras are one thing where you shouldn't shop by the published prices at
    all.

    Pete.

    (Just got a good deal on a G5 this way!)

    Peter S, Dec 13, 2003
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:10:12 +1300, KS wrote:

    <snip>

    > Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago, they
    > had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
    > into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
    > assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
    > assembled camera, and not need a warranty.

    The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
    I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
    warranty.
    As for the assembly, I would image any new Olympus camera would be
    okay.
    I've re contacted Etown and asked further questions, just waiting for
    the reply.

    > Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
    > have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
    > simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

    Sure have, plus just about every other site that gives reviews:)

    The cameras that I started out interested in:
    Olympus C-750
    Kodak DX4690
    Fuji S5000
    Minolta Z1
    Panasonic DMC FZ-10
    I've now more, or less, narrowed this down to the Olympus, and the
    Panasonic. With the Panasonic being first pick - however, there is
    quite a price gap between the two so any real good bargain would take
    preference:)

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 13, 2003
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:43:47 +1300, Peter S wrote:

    <snip>

    > Cameras are the one thing you can negotiate on easily. Find the cheapest
    > price you can, print out the evidence, and then go to your local shop with
    > that evidence and they will match or better the price. You will get the
    > warranty. This, of course won't work on overseas prices. I've never really
    > seen any overseas price that are substantially lower than what you can get
    > here with negotiation.

    Are you saying that if I went to camera web site that sold only NZ
    sourced items, printed out the purchase price, then visited my local
    camera shop they would match the price?

    I know that most places will match other retail outlets in price, but
    somehow doubt that would apply to web site prices:)

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 13, 2003
  6. John wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:10:12 +1300, KS wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    >> Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks
    >> ago, they had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the
    >> warranty simply falls into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a
    >> camera that has been poorly assembled and you'll need the warranty.
    >> Or you'll end up with a superbly assembled camera, and not need a
    >> warranty.

    > The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
    > I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
    > warranty.
    > As for the assembly, I would image any new Olympus camera would be
    > okay.
    > I've re contacted Etown and asked further questions, just waiting for
    > the reply.
    >
    >> Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ?
    >> They have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing
    >> against simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

    > Sure have, plus just about every other site that gives reviews:)
    >
    > The cameras that I started out interested in:
    > Olympus C-750
    > Kodak DX4690
    > Fuji S5000
    > Minolta Z1
    > Panasonic DMC FZ-10
    > I've now more, or less, narrowed this down to the Olympus, and the
    > Panasonic. With the Panasonic being first pick - however, there is
    > quite a price gap between the two so any real good bargain would take
    > preference:)
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    I've got a C-750 and it's a great camera.
    I only paid $1100 for it in NZ. (came with nicads and charger, bag and 128MB
    xD card)
    How much are you going to save by importing it?

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Dec 13, 2003
  7. John

    sal Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:16:54 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:43:47 +1300, Peter S wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> Cameras are the one thing you can negotiate on easily. Find the cheapest
    >> price you can, print out the evidence, and then go to your local shop with
    >> that evidence and they will match or better the price. You will get the
    >> warranty. This, of course won't work on overseas prices. I've never really
    >> seen any overseas price that are substantially lower than what you can get
    >> here with negotiation.

    >Are you saying that if I went to camera web site that sold only NZ
    >sourced items, printed out the purchase price, then visited my local
    >camera shop they would match the price?
    >
    >I know that most places will match other retail outlets in price, but
    >somehow doubt that would apply to web site prices:)
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    It depends, E-town sources parallel imported products so local
    retailers probably wouldn't match their price. Personally I would not
    buy a parallel imported digitial camera, as it won't be supported by
    the NZ distributer, and would probably have to be sent overseas for
    servicing.
    I have found that many online retailers of cameras are quite close
    to the shop price anyway.

    sal, Dec 13, 2003
  8. John

    KS Guest

    Russell Smithies wrote:
    > I've got a C-750 and it's a great camera.
    > I only paid $1100 for it in NZ. (came with nicads and charger, bag
    > and 128MB xD card)
    > How much are you going to save by importing it?

    Not a lot.

    B&H PhotoVideo in NYC offer the same for US$500 = NZ$$780 ish (using xe.com)
    + NZ$120 FedEx delivery to the door = NZ$900

    But with some of the higher end products, you can save a considerable amount
    of money. Is the warranty worth it (or lack of)? To some people, yes. To me,
    no.

    My DiMAGE 7Hi ended up costing me $1,000 in all, incl a 256mb card. Camera &
    Camera list theirs at $1,999 . I use them as an example becase Etown and
    other similar parallel importers don't stock the 7Hi, only the A1.

    KS, Dec 14, 2003
  9. John

    KS Guest

    > The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
    > I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
    > The cameras that I started out interested in:
    > Olympus C-750
    > Kodak DX4690
    > Fuji S5000
    > Minolta Z1
    > Panasonic DMC FZ-10

    Yes, I also went through a similar process not long ago ! Have you had a
    change to get a hands on play with any of them ?

    I disliked the Kodak because of the proprietary battery and lack of manual
    focus. The Fuji felt like a toy in my hands, as did the Z1. A Coolpix 5700
    was looking great, but a high cost. So I ended up with a Minolta
    DiMAGE7Hi....mmmmm..... hard to type while drooling :)

    Simply a superb camera.

    PBase.com have people that are changing their digital cameras quite
    regularly and sell some quite cheap. Naturally as a 2nd hand camera it
    doesn't quite have the prestige of a new camera (but then being 2nd hand,
    it's probably a little more scuffed and used which means you're more likely
    to use it and htrow it around, rather than something so shiny and new) but
    there's some good prices there.

    There's some great photography ideas in some people's galleries too.

    But from all accounts, the C750 will certainly do a great job for only a
    resonable capital outlay.

    Then go to http://www.tawbaware.com/ and get some great stuff. Panorama is
    fun, but Image Stacker is the very very best thing ever invented !

    KS, Dec 14, 2003
  10. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:08:24 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:10:12 +1300, KS wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >

    >> Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago, they
    >> had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
    >> into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
    >> assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
    >> assembled camera, and not need a warranty.

    >The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
    >I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
    >warranty.
    >As for the assembly, I would image any new Olympus camera would be
    >okay.
    >I've re contacted Etown and asked further questions, just waiting for
    >the reply.
    >
    >> Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
    >> have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
    >> simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

    >Sure have, plus just about every other site that gives reviews:)
    >
    >The cameras that I started out interested in:
    >Olympus C-750
    >Kodak DX4690
    >Fuji S5000
    >Minolta Z1
    >Panasonic DMC FZ-10
    >I've now more, or less, narrowed this down to the Olympus, and the
    >Panasonic. With the Panasonic being first pick - however, there is
    >quite a price gap between the two so any real good bargain would take
    >preference:)
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    If it does not have a Electronic Viewfinder just forget it, as the LCD
    displays are no good in direct sunlight..

    Dumdedo, Dec 14, 2003
  11. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:37:31 +1300, "KS" <> wrote:

    >Russell Smithies wrote:
    >> I've got a C-750 and it's a great camera.
    >> I only paid $1100 for it in NZ. (came with nicads and charger, bag
    >> and 128MB xD card)
    >> How much are you going to save by importing it?

    >Not a lot.
    >
    >B&H PhotoVideo in NYC offer the same for US$500 = NZ$$780 ish (using xe.com)
    >+ NZ$120 FedEx delivery to the door = NZ$900

    Then ADD GST..??

    >But with some of the higher end products, you can save a considerable amount
    >of money. Is the warranty worth it (or lack of)? To some people, yes. To me,
    >no.
    >
    >My DiMAGE 7Hi ended up costing me $1,000 in all, incl a 256mb card. Camera &
    >Camera list theirs at $1,999 . I use them as an example becase Etown and
    >other similar parallel importers don't stock the 7Hi, only the A1.

    The A1 replaced the 7Hi

    Dumdedo, Dec 14, 2003
  12. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:47:55 +1300, KS wrote:

    >> The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
    >> I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
    >> The cameras that I started out interested in:
    >> Olympus C-750
    >> Kodak DX4690
    >> Fuji S5000
    >> Minolta Z1
    >> Panasonic DMC FZ-10

    > Yes, I also went through a similar process not long ago ! Have you had a
    > change to get a hands on play with any of them ?

    Days spent going around camera shops and stores in Paraparaumu,
    Porirua and Wellington.

    > I disliked the Kodak because of the proprietary battery and lack of manual
    > focus.

    Got turned off the Kodak by their web site, everything seems to be a
    hassle to find, then when found, impossible to download.

    >The Fuji felt like a toy in my hands,

    Of all the cameras I checked out I liked the look of this one the
    best, felt great. Maybe we have different size hands:)

    > as did the Z1. A Coolpix 5700
    > was looking great, but a high cost. So I ended up with a Minolta
    > DiMAGE7Hi....mmmmm..... hard to type while drooling :)
    >
    > Simply a superb camera.
    >
    > PBase.com have people that are changing their digital cameras quite
    > regularly and sell some quite cheap. Naturally as a 2nd hand camera it
    > doesn't quite have the prestige of a new camera (but then being 2nd hand,
    > it's probably a little more scuffed and used which means you're more likely
    > to use it and htrow it around, rather than something so shiny and new) but
    > there's some good prices there.

    PBase.com? This is a new one for me, give it a once over later on.

    > There's some great photography ideas in some people's galleries too.
    >
    > But from all accounts, the C750 will certainly do a great job for only a
    > resonable capital outlay.

    Certainly get's some good reviews.

    Have you any first hand knowledge on the Panasonic DMC FZ-10? This
    camera isn't due for release until after Christmas, but from what I've
    read, and seen, this would be my first choice.
    Told that it will sell for around $1300 retail, so quite a lot dearer
    than the import Olympus.

    > Then go to http://www.tawbaware.com/ and get some great stuff. Panorama is
    > fun, but Image Stacker is the very very best thing ever invented !

    Keep a note of this site for when I actually get the camera, many
    thanks.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 14, 2003
  13. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:31:34 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:

    <snip>

    > I've got a C-750 and it's a great camera.
    > I only paid $1100 for it in NZ. (came with nicads and charger, bag and 128MB
    > xD card)
    > How much are you going to save by importing it?
    >
    > Russell

    Still waiting to hear back from Etown in regards the accessories, but
    the camera comes (at least) with remote control and case. Normally
    this camera comes with:
    16MB xD Picture Card
    Four NiMH AA batteries
    Battery charger
    Remote control
    Neck strap
    Lens cap w/strap
    USB cable
    A/V cable
    CD-ROM featuring Olympus Camedia Master software and drivers
    Basic manual, fold-out Quick Start guide, plus full manual on CD-ROM.

    Etown has the camera at $939 including GST. DigitalShop has it at
    $1098 with full NZ warranty.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 14, 2003
  14. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:14:50 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

    <snip>

    > If it does not have a Electronic Viewfinder just forget it, as the LCD
    > displays are no good in direct sunlight..

    Yes, Roger, all the cameras that I short-listed have electronic
    viewfinder's:)

    As a point of interest, and coming from someone that knows next to
    nothing about cameras, digital or otherwise, the articles and reviews
    that I've read are divided about the benefits of electronic
    viewfinder's.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 14, 2003
  15. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:33:46 +1300, sal wrote:

    <snip>

    > It depends, E-town sources parallel imported products so local
    > retailers probably wouldn't match their price. Personally I would not
    > buy a parallel imported digitial camera, as it won't be supported by
    > the NZ distributer, and would probably have to be sent overseas for
    > servicing.

    This is the sort of information I'm seeking. Don't want to purchase
    then find I can't get the camera fixed in NZ if things go wrong.
    Do you know of anyone that this has happened to? Or are you speaking
    from first hand experience?

    > I have found that many online retailers of cameras are quite close
    > to the shop price anyway.

    On average $200 less on a $1300 camera, quite a bit of a difference:)

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 14, 2003
  16. John

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <1i32k88gs72ms$.5ayj7nzhy1iw$>,
    lid says...

    > The only thing stopping me from purchasing from Etown is that they
    > import direct from overseas.
    >
    > Apart from checking that the camera comes with all normal accessories,
    > and what the warranty conditions are if any, is there anything else I
    > should be aware of with imported cameras?

    There are no companies making cameras in NZ. They are ALL imported!

    Mainlander, Dec 14, 2003
  17. John

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:08:24 +1300, John <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:10:12 +1300, KS wrote:
    > >
    > ><snip>
    > >

    > >> Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago, they
    > >> had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
    > >> into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
    > >> assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
    > >> assembled camera, and not need a warranty.

    > >The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
    > >I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
    > >warranty.
    > >As for the assembly, I would image any new Olympus camera would be
    > >okay.
    > >I've re contacted Etown and asked further questions, just waiting for
    > >the reply.
    > >
    > >> Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
    > >> have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
    > >> simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

    > >Sure have, plus just about every other site that gives reviews:)
    > >
    > >The cameras that I started out interested in:
    > >Olympus C-750
    > >Kodak DX4690
    > >Fuji S5000
    > >Minolta Z1
    > >Panasonic DMC FZ-10
    > >I've now more, or less, narrowed this down to the Olympus, and the
    > >Panasonic. With the Panasonic being first pick - however, there is
    > >quite a price gap between the two so any real good bargain would take
    > >preference:)
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >John.

    > If it does not have a Electronic Viewfinder just forget it, as the LCD
    > displays are no good in direct sunlight..

    Bulldust

    Mainlander, Dec 14, 2003
  18. John

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <1qx30a9rqn8fs$>,
    lid says...
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:33:46 +1300, sal wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > It depends, E-town sources parallel imported products so local
    > > retailers probably wouldn't match their price. Personally I would not
    > > buy a parallel imported digitial camera, as it won't be supported by
    > > the NZ distributer, and would probably have to be sent overseas for
    > > servicing.

    > This is the sort of information I'm seeking. Don't want to purchase
    > then find I can't get the camera fixed in NZ if things go wrong.
    > Do you know of anyone that this has happened to? Or are you speaking
    > from first hand experience?

    By law, anything parallel imported has to be supported by the NZ
    distributor.

    Mainlander, Dec 14, 2003
  19. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:20:52 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:14:50 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> If it does not have a Electronic Viewfinder just forget it, as the LCD
    >> displays are no good in direct sunlight..

    >Yes, Roger, all the cameras that I short-listed have electronic
    >viewfinder's:)
    >
    >As a point of interest, and coming from someone that knows next to
    >nothing about cameras, digital or otherwise, the articles and reviews
    >that I've read are divided about the benefits of electronic
    >viewfinder's.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Well if you are out in bright sunlight, how are you going to see in changing
    settings with just a LCD, and to see the framing.?

    I know its happened to me with my Older Sony S70..

    Most of the upmarket Digital's like the Nikon 5700, Minolta A1 , Sony F717 &
    Olympus E-20, use Digital VewFinders.

    So how you going to manage with out one, take a black hood with you all the
    time..?

    No to me a Electronic Viewfinder is a Must..

    Dumdedo, Dec 14, 2003
  20. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:29:49 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:08:24 +1300, John <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:10:12 +1300, KS wrote:
    >> >
    >> ><snip>

    >> >The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
    >> >I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
    >> >warranty.
    >> >As for the assembly, I would image any new Olympus camera would be
    >> >okay.
    >> >I've re contacted Etown and asked further questions, just waiting for
    >> >the reply.

    >> >Sure have, plus just about every other site that gives reviews:)
    >> >
    >> >The cameras that I started out interested in:
    >> >Olympus C-750
    >> >Kodak DX4690
    >> >Fuji S5000
    >> >Minolta Z1
    >> >Panasonic DMC FZ-10
    >> >I've now more, or less, narrowed this down to the Olympus, and the
    >> >Panasonic. With the Panasonic being first pick - however, there is
    >> >quite a price gap between the two so any real good bargain would take
    >> >preference:)
    >> >
    >> >Regards,
    >> >John.

    >> If it does not have a Electronic Viewfinder just forget it, as the LCD
    >> displays are no good in direct sunlight..

    >Bulldust

    No FACT..

    I had a Sony S70 could not see the LCD in direct sunlight.

    FACT.

    I now have a Sony F717 has a Electronic Viewfinder.

    Dumdedo, Dec 14, 2003