Important: improvements in TV comedy

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bill Vermillion, Apr 7, 2007.

  1. In article <>,
    Walter Traprock <> wrote:
    >Yes, improvements have been made in comedies by the network censor:
    >
    >For example, the "Stupid" nickname for the dog/boy/man in the movie "The
    >Jerk" is much funnier than the filthier, more offensive, "Shithead",
    >which is all you can find on DVD.
    >
    >And now for something related: TV versions also sometimes have
    >alternate scenes that are better than appear in the regular movie/DVD
    >version, like, in the above referenced movie, funnier scenes about
    >people not eating in years or sucking on rocks only exist in the TV
    >censored version and not in the DVD/theatrical version which only has
    >some offensive stuff about balls.
    >
    >Don't know how this related: in the film National Lampoon Vacation,
    >the song Little Boy Sweet is a much better song than the more
    >irritating "Let's get excited". If you buy, rent or steal the DVD,
    >note on how the first three scenes with the girl in the red car, the
    >alternate language tracks are different in the first and third scene
    >for the background music: The french, portuguese, etc., has Let's Get
    >Excited as background, while in the english version and the
    >commentary it is Little Boy Sweet; yet, in the second scene at the
    >picnic, the alternate versions have Little Boy Sweet. This may
    >have extremely important significance in the theory of music licensing;
    >on the other hand, it may not.
    >
    >Then there is the weird food for the hardcore fan of the excellent
    >drug film Cheech And Chong's Next Movie: Comedy Central showed a
    >censor cut several years ago that changed all drug references to
    >"diamonds", and added a lot of deleted scenes to make it look
    >different: It did look different.

    And the late lamented [by me at least] Trio network once
    showed a G rated version of Debbie Does Dallas. After all
    the sex scenes and innuendo were edited out it was about
    20 minutes long. It really WAS different.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Bill Vermillion

    Justin Guest

    Walter Traprock wrote on [Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:56:37 -0700]:
    > Yes, improvements have been made in comedies by the network censor:
    >
    > For example, the "Stupid" nickname for the dog/boy/man in the movie "The
    > Jerk" is much funnier than the filthier, more offensive, "Shithead",
    > which is all you can find on DVD.

    No, it isn't.
    Justin, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > And the late lamented [by me at least] Trio network

    Not just you, Bill. I miss it too.
    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein
    Geena Phillips, Apr 8, 2007