Important: Dissertation Questionnaire

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by overbars10, Feb 8, 2009.

  1. overbars10

    overbars10 Guest

    Hi,

    My name is Cory Alleyne. I am currently a final year student
    atBrunelUniversity studying a BSc Information Systems undergraduate
    degree. Iam currently doing a study on Open Source Networks where
    behaviouramong developers and users are concerned. This research
    project looksinto what motivates users or developers to get involved
    in the OpenSource community and how easy it is to advance within that
    community.I have designed an online questionnaire that I would like
    foryou tofill out. This questionnaire asks a series of questions
    pertaining tothe field. The results of this, which would be posted for
    you toexamine, would be used as a guide for persons that are thinking
    ofgetting involved in an open Source community as a developer or
    auser.It would also make them aware of what they should expect
    whenjoining,and what they will most likely get out of it.Taking part
    in this online questionnaire is not compulsory.You aremore than free
    to withdraw from participating at any time, but itwillbe much
    appreciated if you can take a few minutes to answer thequestions
    posted. Your personal details will be kept anonymous andnothing will
    be traced back to you. I do hope to hear from you in thefuture.

    Both links should be completed simultaneously.Thank you very much for
    your co-operation.

    Part 1: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=TRIVyVIElxS0Z53Fl9d1xg_3d_3d

    Part 2: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Bvg6jgtvweBq5y9wSFBm4g_3d_3d

    Kind regards,
    Cory Alleyne (Mr)

    overbars10, Feb 8, 2009

  2. overbars10 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My name is Cory Alleyne. I am currently a final year student
    > atBrunelUniversity studying a BSc Information Systems undergraduate
    > degree.
    > **snip**
    > Kind regards,
    > Cory Alleyne (Mr)

    Your subject heading is more than a little pretentious, this could
    hardly be considered "important" to anyone with a functioning rectum.

    Southern Kiwi, Feb 9, 2009

  3. overbars10

    "overbars10" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My name is Cory Alleyne. I am currently a final year student
    > atBrunelUniversity studying a BSc Information Systems undergraduate
    > degree. Iam currently doing a study on Open Source Networks where
    > behaviouramong developers and users are concerned. This research
    > project looksinto what motivates users or developers to get involved
    > in the OpenSource community and how easy it is to advance within that
    > community.I have designed an online questionnaire that I would like
    > foryou tofill out. This questionnaire asks a series of questions
    > pertaining tothe field. The results of this, which would be posted for
    > you toexamine, would be used as a guide for persons that are thinking
    > ofgetting involved in an open Source community as a developer or
    > auser.It would also make them aware of what they should expect
    > whenjoining,and what they will most likely get out of it.Taking part
    > in this online questionnaire is not compulsory.You aremore than free
    > to withdraw from participating at any time, but itwillbe much
    > appreciated if you can take a few minutes to answer thequestions
    > posted. Your personal details will be kept anonymous andnothing will
    > be traced back to you. I do hope to hear from you in thefuture.
    >
    > Both links should be completed simultaneously.Thank you very much for
    > your co-operation.
    >
    > Part 1: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=TRIVyVIElxS0Z53Fl9d1xg_3d_3d
    >
    > Part 2: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Bvg6jgtvweBq5y9wSFBm4g_3d_3d
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Cory Alleyne (Mr)

    Sounds dodgy to me. Never heard of a dissertaion requirement for an
    undergraduate degree before.

    J&H.

    Je|, Feb 9, 2009
  4. overbars10

    "Je|<ݬ¬ & µÝÐe" <jekyll&> wrote in message
    > "overbars10" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My name is Cory Alleyne. I am currently a final year student
    >> atBrunelUniversity studying a BSc Information Systems undergraduate
    >> degree. Iam currently doing a study on Open Source Networks where
    >> behaviouramong developers and users are concerned. This research
    >> project looksinto what motivates users or developers to get involved
    >> in the OpenSource community and how easy it is to advance within that
    >> community.I have designed an online questionnaire that I would like
    >> foryou tofill out. This questionnaire asks a series of questions
    >> pertaining tothe field. The results of this, which would be posted for
    >> you toexamine, would be used as a guide for persons that are thinking
    >> ofgetting involved in an open Source community as a developer or
    >> auser.It would also make them aware of what they should expect
    >> whenjoining,and what they will most likely get out of it.Taking part
    >> in this online questionnaire is not compulsory.You aremore than free
    >> to withdraw from participating at any time, but itwillbe much
    >> appreciated if you can take a few minutes to answer thequestions
    >> posted. Your personal details will be kept anonymous andnothing will
    >> be traced back to you. I do hope to hear from you in thefuture.
    >>
    >> Both links should be completed simultaneously.Thank you very much for
    >> your co-operation.
    >>
    >> Part 1:
    >> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=TRIVyVIElxS0Z53Fl9d1xg_3d_3d
    >>
    >> Part 2:
    >> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Bvg6jgtvweBq5y9wSFBm4g_3d_3d
    >>
    >> Kind regards,
    >> Cory Alleyne (Mr)

    > Sounds dodgy to me. Never heard of a dissertaion requirement for an
    > undergraduate degree before.
    >
    > J&H.

    In fact, Brunel Uni itself defines a dissertation as "a detailed piece of
    work undertaken by a candidate for a taught postgraduate programme. The
    submission may take the form of a wholly written dissertation, or one which
    comprises original, creative work supported by adequate documentation
    indicating its originality and contribution to knowledge within the
    discipline. All submissions involving creative work should include a means
    of storage, access and retrieval of work."

    http://www.brunel.ac.uk/about/administration/rules/senateregs/foreward

    Note "postgraduate programme", not undergraduate (i.e. BSc).

    J&H.