    We tried Thunderbird at work but people preferred Outlook, plus there's some
    stuff I want to do which requires VBA.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Ray Greene

    E. Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to import messages from Thunderbird into Outlook?
    >
    > We tried Thunderbird at work but people preferred Outlook, plus there's some
    > stuff I want to do which requires VBA.
    >
    > Ray Greene.

    Bounce it.
    Import it to Eudora, import from there to OE, import from OE to Outbreak.
    A pain in the ass, but it works. Most tools don't work or are even worse.
    E.

    E., Feb 27, 2005

  3. Ray Greene

    GJ Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to import messages from Thunderbird into Outlook?
    >
    > We tried Thunderbird at work but people preferred Outlook, plus there's some
    > stuff I want to do which requires VBA.
    >
    > Ray Greene.

    If you have access to an IMAP mail server
    - move/vopy the messages to an IMAP account
    - Create the IMAP account in Outlook
    - Copy the messages into outlook.

    I have noticed some issues between OE and Thunderbird around the message
    date. I believe OE screwed up the date but canot be sure.

    GJ

    GJ, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:34:36 +1300, GJ <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me how to import messages from Thunderbird into Outlook?
    >>
    >> We tried Thunderbird at work but people preferred Outlook, plus there's some
    >> stuff I want to do which requires VBA.
    >>
    >> Ray Greene.

    >If you have access to an IMAP mail server
    > - move/vopy the messages to an IMAP account
    > - Create the IMAP account in Outlook
    > - Copy the messages into outlook.
    >
    >I have noticed some issues between OE and Thunderbird around the message
    >date. I believe OE screwed up the date but canot be sure.
    >
    >GJ

    They don't make it easy do they? We don't have an IMAP mail server so I'll
    have to do it the hard way. Or maybe those emails could accidentally be
    deleted...

    --
    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:34:36 +1300, GJ <> wrote:
    >

    >>Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone tell me how to import messages from Thunderbird into Outlook?
    >>>
    >>>We tried Thunderbird at work but people preferred Outlook, plus there's some
    >>>stuff I want to do which requires VBA.
    >>>
    >>>Ray Greene.

    >>If you have access to an IMAP mail server
    >> - move/vopy the messages to an IMAP account
    >> - Create the IMAP account in Outlook
    >> - Copy the messages into outlook.
    >>
    >>I have noticed some issues between OE and Thunderbird around the message
    >>date. I believe OE screwed up the date but canot be sure.

    > They don't make it easy do they? We don't have an IMAP mail server so I'll
    > have to do it the hard way. Or maybe those emails could accidentally be
    > deleted...

    If you have Exchange you DO have an IMAP server. Since you
    use Outlook, I'm just guessing that you have Exchange. Of
    course, it has to be set up to allow IMAP access.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Ray Greene

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:49:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > If you have Exchange you DO have an IMAP server. Since you use Outlook,
    > I'm just guessing that you have Exchange.

    Pretty big assumption to make there :)

    Outlook does come with Office after all.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 1, 2005
  7. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:58:05 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:49:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> If you have Exchange you DO have an IMAP server. Since you use Outlook,
    >> I'm just guessing that you have Exchange.

    >Pretty big assumption to make there :)

    Yes indeed. We use a nice bulletproof little mailserver called LanSuite by
    Software602.

    It turns out that most of the emails that are on Thunderbird can be deleted
    anyway, the rest I'll just forward on to the users.

    --
    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Mar 2, 2005
  8. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:49:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >

    >>If you have Exchange you DO have an IMAP server. Since you use Outlook,
    >>I'm just guessing that you have Exchange.

    > Pretty big assumption to make there :)
    >
    > Outlook does come with Office after all.

    It *was* a guess. Why use Outlook if you *don't* have Exchange?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Ray Greene

    AD. Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > AD. wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:49:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you have Exchange you DO have an IMAP server. Since you use Outlook,
    >>> I'm just guessing that you have Exchange.

    >> Pretty big assumption to make there :)
    >>
    >> Outlook does come with Office after all.
    >>

    > It *was* a guess. Why use Outlook if you *don't* have Exchange?

    Fair point - you and I might agree on that, but there's no accounting
    for what the unwashed masses want ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 2, 2005
  10. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:09:04 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> AD. wrote:

    >>> Pretty big assumption to make there :)
    >>>
    >>> Outlook does come with Office after all.
    >>>

    >> It *was* a guess. Why use Outlook if you *don't* have Exchange?

    >Fair point - you and I might agree on that, but there's no accounting
    >for what the unwashed masses want ;)

    Dammit you guys, I shower every day!

    --
    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Ray Greene

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to import messages from Thunderbird into Outlook?

    Did I hear you right?

    You want to move your message store FROM t'bird TO outlook?

    You serious?

    Thanks for giving me a great laugh.

    Hey, in case you're interested, I got a great stock tip for you.
    SCOX on the Nasdaq. Poised to make billions in coming litigation.

    If you're not interested in that, perhaps some nice real estate in
    Florida, or some civil engineering works in Brooklyn.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Mar 2, 2005
  12. Enkidu wrote:
    >>> If you have Exchange you DO have an IMAP server. Since you use Outlook,
    >>> I'm just guessing that you have Exchange.

    >> Pretty big assumption to make there :)
    >> Outlook does come with Office after all.

    > It *was* a guess. Why use Outlook if you *don't* have Exchange?

    because it's better than outlook express?
    because you paid for it so it makes you feel that you should use it?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 2, 2005
  13. Ray Greene

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:47:44 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> It *was* a guess. Why use Outlook if you *don't* have Exchange?

    > because it's better than outlook express? because you paid for it so it
    > makes you feel that you should use it?

    Once people get hooked on the top posting, non sig trimming, braindead
    quoting, ugly as hell rich text in Word goodness that is Outlook - nothing
    else quite lives up to their expectations!

    Oh well, at least our recent Outlook 2003 upgrade (I'm on Evolution
    myself) allowed me to slip in some extra Group Policy plain text fascism.
    The vastly different interface meant that nobody really noticed that bit ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 2, 2005
  14. Ray Greene

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 22:44:58 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    >>Fair point - you and I might agree on that, but there's no accounting for
    >>what the unwashed masses want ;)

    > Dammit you guys, I shower every day!

    Now Ray, you know I wasn't referring to you :)

    I have my own unwashed masses.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 2, 2005
  15. Ray Greene

    Barry Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > Once people get hooked on the top posting, non sig trimming, braindead
    > quoting, ugly as hell rich text in Word goodness that is Outlook - nothing
    > else quite lives up to their expectations!
    >
    > Oh well, at least our recent Outlook 2003 upgrade (I'm on Evolution
    > myself) allowed me to slip in some extra Group Policy plain text fascism.
    > The vastly different interface meant that nobody really noticed that bit ;)

    hahha nice... we're doing that at the moment.

    Barry, Mar 2, 2005
  16. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:52:11 +1300, Evil Bastard <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me how to import messages from Thunderbird into Outlook?

    >Did I hear you right?
    >
    >You want to move your message store FROM t'bird TO outlook?
    >
    >You serious?
    >
    >Thanks for giving me a great laugh.
    >
    >Hey, in case you're interested, I got a great stock tip for you.
    >SCOX on the Nasdaq. Poised to make billions in coming litigation.
    >
    >If you're not interested in that, perhaps some nice real estate in
    >Florida, or some civil engineering works in Brooklyn.

    Thanks for the offer EB, but unfortunately my millions are already invested
    elsewhere.

    In fact it was my employer who wanted me to do this. I, like you, believe
    that Thunderbird is not nearly as big a piece of crap as Outlook :)

    I use Pegasus, and despite trying every other mail client I have seen I
    haven't found anything better.

    --
    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Mar 3, 2005
  17. Ray Greene

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > In fact it was my employer who wanted me to do this. I, like you, believe
    > that Thunderbird is not nearly as big a piece of crap as Outlook :)
    >
    > I use Pegasus, and despite trying every other mail client I have seen I
    > haven't found anything better.

    Apologies, and condolences for the difficulties you're having in
    educating your management.

    Maybe they'll change their minds after their machines get compromised n
    times by incoming worms - the kind that infect a PC without the user
    even viewing the carrier message.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Mar 4, 2005
  18. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:42:14 +1300, Evil Bastard <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> In fact it was my employer who wanted me to do this. I, like you, believe
    >> that Thunderbird is not nearly as big a piece of crap as Outlook :)
    >>
    >> I use Pegasus, and despite trying every other mail client I have seen I
    >> haven't found anything better.

    >Apologies, and condolences for the difficulties you're having in
    >educating your management.
    >
    >Maybe they'll change their minds after their machines get compromised n
    >times by incoming worms - the kind that infect a PC without the user
    >even viewing the carrier message.

    No, we've got a well set up Cisco router between us and the big bad world.
    Nothing has ever got through that wasn't supposed to. In fact the only
    serious damage we've ever had was from Windows Updates. That was nasty...

    --
    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Mar 5, 2005
  19. Ray Greene

    ofn01 Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me how to import messages from Thunderbird into Outlook?

    > Did I hear you right?
    >
    > You want to move your message store FROM t'bird TO outlook?
    >
    > You serious?
    >
    > Thanks for giving me a great laugh.
    >
    > Hey, in case you're interested, I got a great stock tip for you.
    > SCOX on the Nasdaq. Poised to make billions in coming litigation.
    >
    > If you're not interested in that, perhaps some nice real estate in
    > Florida, or some civil engineering works in Brooklyn.

    Ive switched to using Thunderbird from Outlook Express for news messages
    for the same reason I use mozilla/ff over internet explorer. Not because
    they're better but because they're basically a safer bet.

    Thunderbird has this annoying thing that when you sort messages - it
    ungroups them from being in threads, and you have to go to
    'view'/'sort-by'/'threaded'.

    Also, if you have to authenticate against your news provider, and the
    authentication fails - then it doesn't try it next time without
    prompting for a username/password like outlook express does (OE just
    asks you *that* time to put in a username/password but tries again with
    the same values next time) - it keeps prompting you until you succeed
    which is irritating.

    ofn01, Mar 5, 2005