    recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
    keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
    fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.
    fred@fred's.place.net, Jan 21, 2008

  2. fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
    > My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
    > my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
    > older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
    > rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
    > recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
    > keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
    > fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

    are these the original default bookmarks that are loaded
    when you first install whatever program you're using? If so,
    then you can't get rid of them. Just import the old copy,
    then use the bookmark manager, and reorganize them and
    remove the old ones.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 21, 2008

  3. fred@fred's.place.net

    Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:56:03 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
    >> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
    >> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
    >> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
    >> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
    >> recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
    >> keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
    >> fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

    >are these the original default bookmarks that are loaded
    >when you first install whatever program you're using? If so,
    >then you can't get rid of them. Just import the old copy,
    >then use the bookmark manager, and reorganize them and
    >remove the old ones.

    I forgot to give the details. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 with Win XP
    sp2.

    What do you mean by "reorganize them?"

    Many of the bookmarks will be duplicates. I'm tired of sifting through
    all of them and deleting the dups. Is that the only way to do this?
    Why cannot the previous set be deleted?
    , Jan 21, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:56:03 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
    >>> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
    >>> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
    >>> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
    >>> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
    >>> recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
    >>> keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
    >>> fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

    >> are these the original default bookmarks that are loaded
    >> when you first install whatever program you're using? If so,
    >> then you can't get rid of them. Just import the old copy,
    >> then use the bookmark manager, and reorganize them and
    >> remove the old ones.

    > I forgot to give the details. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 with Win XP
    > sp2.
    >
    > What do you mean by "reorganize them?"
    >
    > Many of the bookmarks will be duplicates. I'm tired of sifting through
    > all of them and deleting the dups. Is that the only way to do this?
    > Why cannot the previous set be deleted?

    click on Bookmarks, Organize, Delete everything below the
    line that says personal toolbar folder, then click on File,
    Import, and import the other set of bookmarks from the
    *File*. Now, you will get another Personal Toolbar Folder
    folder. Select everything under that folder and move
    everything up to the other personal toolbar folder. Delete
    the newly added personal toolbar folder. Thats it.

    The other way is to close FF, then use your file manager,
    remove the old bookmarks.html file from the FF profile.
    Then put the new one there. Restart FF.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 22, 2008
  5. fred@fred's.place.net

    Rom Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:38:35 -0600, fred@fred's.place.net wrote:

    > My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
    > my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
    > older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
    > rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
    > recovering my older C: drive image?

    By newer ones do you mean you saved a copy of/exported the
    bookmarks.html file before reimaging?

    If yes, with Firefox closed locate your Firefox profile:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Finding_the_profile_folder_on_Windows>
    and either delete the old one (or copy it elsewhere if wanted) then
    paste a copy of the new one in its place, or paste and overwrite the
    old one.

    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks> may have further info if needed.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Jan 22, 2008
  6. On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:08:42 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    snipped

    >click on Bookmarks, Organize, Delete everything below the
    >line that says personal toolbar folder, then click on File,
    >Import, and import the other set of bookmarks from the
    >*File*. Now, you will get another Personal Toolbar Folder
    >folder. Select everything under that folder and move
    >everything up to the other personal toolbar folder. Delete
    >the newly added personal toolbar folder. Thats it.
    >
    >The other way is to close FF, then use your file manager,
    >remove the old bookmarks.html file from the FF profile.
    >Then put the new one there. Restart FF.

    I'll keep this post and try this the next time I have to go through this
    - which is kinda often since I like trying lots of trial versions of
    programs. Quite a few of them are crapola and really screw up the
    machine.

    Thanks!
    fred@fred's.place.net, Jan 22, 2008
  7. On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:35:06 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:38:35 -0600, fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
    >
    >> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
    >> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
    >> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
    >> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
    >> recovering my older C: drive image?

    >By newer ones do you mean you saved a copy of/exported the
    >bookmarks.html file before reimaging?
    >
    >If yes, with Firefox closed locate your Firefox profile:
    ><http://kb.mozillazine.org/Finding_the_profile_folder_on_Windows>
    >and either delete the old one (or copy it elsewhere if wanted) then
    >paste a copy of the new one in its place, or paste and overwrite the
    >old one.
    >
    ><http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks> may have further info if needed.

    I'll also keep your suggestion for future use, although I've had
    problems finding the dang bookmarks where all those help columns say
    they are supposed to be. I've also tried deleting them in the past when
    I did find them, but it never worked. I'm getting the feeling something
    is seriously screwed up in my bookmark department. ;o)

    Thanks for answering.
    fred@fred's.place.net, Jan 22, 2008
  8. fred@fred's.place.net

    Andy Luddy Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:56:03 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
    >>> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
    >>> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
    >>> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
    >>> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
    >>> recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
    >>> keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
    >>> fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

    >> are these the original default bookmarks that are loaded
    >> when you first install whatever program you're using? If so,
    >> then you can't get rid of them. Just import the old copy,
    >> then use the bookmark manager, and reorganize them and
    >> remove the old ones.

    > I forgot to give the details. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 with Win XP
    > sp2.
    >
    > What do you mean by "reorganize them?"
    >
    > Many of the bookmarks will be duplicates. I'm tired of sifting through
    > all of them and deleting the dups. Is that the only way to do this?
    > Why cannot the previous set be deleted?

    If duplicate bookmarks are a problem for you, you might want to consider
    the Bookmark Duplicate Detector add-on, available at
    <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1553>

    Andy
    Andy Luddy, Jan 22, 2008
  9. On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:48:30 -0500, Andy Luddy
    <> wrote:
    snipped
    >If duplicate bookmarks are a problem for you, you might want to consider
    >the Bookmark Duplicate Detector add-on, available at
    ><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1553>
    >
    >Andy

    I'll check it out.

    Thank you.
    fred@fred's.place.net, Jan 25, 2008
  10. fred@fred's.place.net

    Andy Luddy Guest

    fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:48:30 -0500, Andy Luddy
    > <> wrote:
    > snipped
    >> If duplicate bookmarks are a problem for you, you might want to consider
    >> the Bookmark Duplicate Detector add-on, available at
    >> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1553>
    >>
    >> Andy

    > I'll check it out.
    >
    > Thank you.

    As an added bonus, it will warn you if you bookmark a page when you
    already have a bookmark for that page. It's a warning only, though, so
    if you want to bookmark a site a second time (say, to place it in
    another folder) you are allowed.

    Andy
    Andy Luddy, Jan 25, 2008
  11. fred@fred's.place.net

    Gwen Morse Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:38:35 -0600, fred@fred's.place.net wrote:

    >My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
    >my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
    >older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
    >rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
    >recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
    >keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
    >fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

    It's not an exact answer to what you asked, but, I use Foxmarks
    bookmark synchronizer. It stores your bookmarks on a central server
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410, and makes notes
    of any changes.

    If you restore from an old backup, and then sync (as long as the
    extension is installed), it will recognize that you have "old"
    bookmarks and update them to the newest version.

    As an added bonus, it allows you to have the same bookmarks on
    multiple machines (such as work and home computers or desktop and
    laptop computers).

    Gwen
    --
    Gwen Morse mailto:
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then
    Gwen Morse, Feb 3, 2008