    Hi,

    Appreciate any thoughts here other than the battery charger?

    Martin
    Martin, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Martin

    Ed E. Guest

    > Appreciate any thoughts here other than the battery charger?

    The charger is fine, if you simply get a different cord or an adapter for
    the plug. The charger accepts 100-240 volts without any modifications.
    Ed E., Oct 16, 2003

  3. Martin

    James Hart Guest

    Martin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Appreciate any thoughts here other than the battery charger?

    Mine (UK sourced) came with both UK and US leads for the charger.

    --
    James...
    http://www.jameshart.co.uk/
    James Hart, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Martin

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    "Ed E." <> wrote:

    > > Appreciate any thoughts here other than the battery charger?

    > The charger is fine, if you simply get a different cord or an adapter for
    > the plug. The charger accepts 100-240 volts without any modifications.

    Warranty and service - if required.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hi Bob,

    Does that mean that I'll be unable to get it repaired or just difficult? :)

    Martin

    Martin, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Martin

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    "Martin" <> wrote:

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Does that mean that I'll be unable to get it repaired or just difficult? :)
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message

    > > > The charger is fine, if you simply get a different cord or an adapter

    > for
    > > > the plug. The charger accepts 100-240 volts without any modifications.
    > > >

    > > Warranty and service - if required.
    > >
    > > --
    > > To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    That is something you would have to ask Canon in your country.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Martin

    FOR7b Guest

    >> Appreciate any thoughts here other than the battery charger?
    >
    >The charger is fine, if you simply get a different cord or an adapter for
    >the plug. The charger accepts 100-240 volts without any modifications.

    Just an inexpensive cord plug adaptor. A couple of dollars here for a British
    one.

    FOR7b, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Martin

    Guest Guest

    Import duties. Unless you are going to bring the camera back in person, you
    are quite likely to get an import tax bill. This will probably make your cam
    as expensive as if you bought in the UK.

    Warranties - your warranty will probably only be valid in the US. Do you
    fancy sending it to the states if it goes wrong?

    Guest, Oct 17, 2003
  9. On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:00:20 -0400, Bob Salomon wrote:

    <snip>

    >> > Warranty and service - if required.

    <snip>

    > That is something you would have to ask Canon in your country.

    Warranty on Canon SLR bodies purchased from Canon USA is valid worldwide.
    See http://www.usa.canon.com/html/support/slrfaq.html for details.

    Mike.
    Mike Brodbelt, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Even if it's a gift?

    Martin, Oct 19, 2003
  11. Martin

    dslr Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > "<Enter Your Full Name>" <> wrote in message
    > > Import duties. Unless you are going to bring the camera back in person,

    > you are quite likely to get an import tax bill. This will probably make your
    > cam as expensive as if you bought in the UK.
    > >

    > Even if it's a gift?

    Afraid so - the gift classification only ups the trigger point (above
    which duty is payable) from £18 to £36.
    Don't forget, the import duty is payable on the goods value and (IIRC)
    VAT is payable on the total value of the (duty-paid) goods and the
    shipping/handling charges - double whammy!.
    I understand that a reasonable rule of thumb to use is to add around 30%
    to the US price, including shipping/handling.

    As to bringing it back in person, HMCE aren't daft. They are perfectly
    entitled to check your luggage and they will know what the package
    contains even if you've discarded the box itself (which might prove to
    be a mistake if it ever has to be returned to Canon for any reason). If
    they are at all suspicious that the camera was purchased abroad, they
    can (and will) demand to see the UK receipt as proof that it wasn't. If
    you haven't got it with you, they may well be empowered to impound the
    camera until you can produce the receipt.

    --
    regards,
    dslr
    dslr, Oct 19, 2003
  12. Martin

    dslr Guest

    dslr wrote:

    > Martin wrote:
    > >
    > > "<Enter Your Full Name>" <> wrote in message
    > > > Import duties. Unless you are going to bring the camera back in person,

    > > you are quite likely to get an import tax bill. This will probably make your
    > > cam as expensive as if you bought in the UK.
    > > >

    > > Even if it's a gift?
    > >

    > Afraid so - the gift classification only ups the trigger point (above
    > which duty is payable) from £18 to £36.
    > Don't forget, the import duty is payable on the goods value and (IIRC)
    > VAT is payable on the total value of the (duty-paid) goods and the
    > shipping/handling charges - double whammy!.
    > I understand that a reasonable rule of thumb to use is to add around 30%
    > to the US price, including shipping/handling.
    >
    > As to bringing it back in person, HMCE aren't daft. They are perfectly
    > entitled to check your luggage and they will know what the package
    > contains even if you've discarded the box itself (which might prove to
    > be a mistake if it ever has to be returned to Canon for any reason). If
    > they are at all suspicious that the camera was purchased abroad, they
    > can (and will) demand to see the UK receipt as proof that it wasn't. If
    > you haven't got it with you, they may well be empowered to impound the
    > camera until you can produce the receipt.

    Additionally - if it's a 300D that's a sure giveaway to HMCE, because
    it's not called the 300D in the US!

    --
    regards,
    dslr
    dslr, Oct 19, 2003
  13. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Actually, the plan was to get my wife's American second cousin to send it as
    a gift to her. I'd just borrow it occasionally :)

    Martin

    Martin, Oct 19, 2003
  14. Martin

    Lansbury Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:31:20 +0100, Mike Brodbelt
    <m.brodbelt@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Warranty on Canon SLR bodies purchased from Canon USA is valid worldwide.
    >See http://www.usa.canon.com/html/support/slrfaq.html for details.

    This is not so I have just purchased a US Digital Rebel and the body has
    a USA warranty only. The lens is world wide.

    --
    Lansbury
    www.uk-air.net
    Lansbury, Oct 24, 2003
  15. In article
    <pan.2003.10.17.10.31.18.28175@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__coruscant.demon.co.uk>,
    Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__coruscant.demon.co. wrote:

    > Warranty on Canon SLR bodies purchased from Canon USA is valid worldwide.
    > See http://www.usa.canon.com/html/support/slrfaq.html for details.

    Indeed - unlike an Olympus one which most certainly isn't.
    Simon Gardner, Dec 19, 2003
  16. NO, canon Digital SLR's are only covered by a regional warranty. Therefore
    it will have to go back to the states for any repair, or you find a local
    retailer prepared to grey it for you.

    Just ring up Canon UK & ask them, their reply will be that they decide what
    is covered in the UK by warranty & USA DSLR's are not covered, no matter
    what it says on the website.

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 19, 2003
  17. On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:32:05 +0000, Betty Swallocks wrote:

    > NO, canon Digital SLR's are only covered by a regional warranty. Therefore
    > it will have to go back to the states for any repair, or you find a local
    > retailer prepared to grey it for you.
    >
    > Just ring up Canon UK & ask them, their reply will be that they decide
    > what is covered in the UK by warranty & USA DSLR's are not covered, no
    > matter what it says on the website.

    Given what it says on the website, I suspect you could force them to
    honour it in a small claims court. Companies don't just have carte blanche
    to publish one thing and do another...

    Mike.
    Mike Brodbelt, Dec 19, 2003
  18. Martin

    Tom Nelson Guest

    Which brings up an interesting question. Most places in the United
    States have small claims courts, where citizens can sue without need
    for a barrister. This makes it cost-effective to litigate relatively
    minor claims. (The maximum value of claims is limited to something like
    US$1500.) Does the UK have anything similar?

    In article
    <pan.2003.12.19.18.04.47.279685@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__coruscant.demon.co.uk>,

    Tom Nelson, Dec 19, 2003
  19. Meanwhile in the real world...........I don't think many people would
    purchase like this with the intention of becoming a 'consumers champion' &
    going legal if they got a stuck pixel or two.

    "Mike Brodbelt" <m.brodbelt@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote
    in message

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 20, 2003