    be enough to get me going. Please don't start O/S flaming.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Sep 8, 2007

  2. Lodi

    Squiggle Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all....I know this is going to come across as a troll but it's not.
    >
    > The one thing that I really like about Kubuntu is its security aspect.
    > Passwords for everything but my own home folder.
    >
    > How do I duplicate that in XP. I'm resigned to the fact that familiarity
    > with XP is more important to various family members than computer
    > security. So is it possible to set up XP so that "My Documents" and sub-
    > folders is password free (similar to "Home Folder" in Kubuntu) but that
    > everything else (and I mean every other single folder/file/service/action/
    > etc) requires a password (as is the case with Kubuntu).
    >
    > I'm guessing that it's something to do with XP administrator rights but I
    > know zilch about that. Just a few google keywords or website links would
    > be enough to get me going. Please don't start O/S flaming.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    If you have XP Professional you can use security policies.

    start from here and good hunting:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_secsettopnode.mspx?

    If you have xp home AFAIK you are pretty much out of luck.
    Squiggle, Sep 8, 2007

  3. Lodi

    peterwn Guest

    Squiggle wrote:

    > If you have XP Professional you can use security policies.

    As long as the NTFS rather than FAT file system is used. When
    installing XP you have a choice of file system. If you have a laptop
    with a rescue CD, it restores the file system originally chosen which
    for a few laptops I deal with is FAT, so it seems security policies are
    not possible.
    peterwn, Sep 8, 2007
  4. Lodi

    Shane Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > Squiggle wrote:
    >

    >> If you have XP Professional you can use security policies.
    >>

    > As long as the NTFS rather than FAT file system is used. When
    > installing XP you have a choice of file system. If you have a laptop
    > with a rescue CD, it restores the file system originally chosen which
    > for a few laptops I deal with is FAT, so it seems security policies are
    > not possible.

    You can convert FAT32 to NTFS. It's a one way conversion.
    --
    Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a
    Shane, Sep 8, 2007