iMate PDA2K stuff...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dany P. Wu, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    Hi folks,

    I am about to inherit one of these thingies - sometimes I wonder if it's
    gonna feel like holding a brick to my head to talk to people.

    Does anyone here happen to own - or have owned - one? I am very new to these
    type of devices. Actually, I'm new to the world of handheld devices such as
    PDAs. Hopefully it will be a nice gentle intro into .NET CF.

    I noticed this device can take SD/MMC cards. Which one is better to use? And
    what brands are good value? Obviously the device doesn't have that much
    space on board for software/data - what sort of stuff can be stored on the
    cards? Just data or some software as well?

    I know there's a Microsoft MVP for mobile devices lurking around here
    somewhere......."Paging Mr Freitas".... :)

    Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 1, 2005

  2. Dany P. Wu

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am about to inherit one of these thingies - sometimes I wonder if it's
    > gonna feel like holding a brick to my head to talk to people.
    >
    > Does anyone here happen to own - or have owned - one? I am very new to these
    > type of devices. Actually, I'm new to the world of handheld devices such as
    > PDAs. Hopefully it will be a nice gentle intro into .NET CF.
    >
    > I noticed this device can take SD/MMC cards. Which one is better to use? And
    > what brands are good value? Obviously the device doesn't have that much
    > space on board for software/data - what sort of stuff can be stored on the
    > cards? Just data or some software as well?

    SD is the more modern standard, go for that one.

    Rob J, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Dany P. Wu

    d Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I noticed this device can take SD/MMC cards. Which one is better to use?

    Well, I've just looked into this for my Ipaq.

    I believe that the SD slot can be used for other things like GPS
    receivers.

    So, you might be better off to use the slot that can only be used for
    memory, leaving your other slot free for future expansion.

    D.

    d, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Dany P. Wu

    Mercury Guest

    use it for system backups.

    Mercury, Oct 2, 2005
  5. d wrote:
    >>I noticed this device can take SD/MMC cards. Which one is better to use?

    > Well, I've just looked into this for my Ipaq.
    > I believe that the SD slot can be used for other things like GPS
    > receivers.

    only if it is an SDIO slot... not sure which the PDA2k has, but
    imate.com should know.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2005
  6. "Dany P. Wu" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am about to inherit one of these thingies - sometimes I wonder if it's
    > gonna feel like holding a brick to my head to talk to people.
    >
    > Does anyone here happen to own - or have owned - one? I am very new to
    > these type of devices. Actually, I'm new to the world of handheld devices
    > such as PDAs. Hopefully it will be a nice gentle intro into .NET CF.
    >
    > I noticed this device can take SD/MMC cards. Which one is better to use?
    > And what brands are good value? Obviously the device doesn't have that
    > much space on board for software/data - what sort of stuff can be stored
    > on the cards? Just data or some software as well?
    >
    > I know there's a Microsoft MVP for mobile devices lurking around here
    > somewhere......."Paging Mr Freitas".... :)
    >
    > Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    Hello Dany - sorry for the late reply, as I was in the US for some
    conferences, and just got back today.

    Try using SD cards. They're faster than most MMC because they have parallel
    transfer.

    The RAM memory on Windows Mobile 2003 is used for both data and program
    execution. The best thing to do though is to have the most free memory as
    possible. I have a 1GB SD card on my device and install all programs on this
    card, plus data (maps, documents, email attachments). This way you have the
    most free RAM possible to run multiple programs.

    The OS will keep the programs open (the [X] button is a minimise, not
    close), and thus memory is important. Programs will be closed if the memory
    becomes low, but I use a program that turns the [X] into a real close
    button.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 9, 2005
  7. Dany P. Wu

    d Guest

    In article <4348c7e7$>, lid
    says...
    > The OS will keep the programs open (the [X] button is a minimise, not
    > close),

    Hmmmm, yet another microsoft UI design success story?

    Silly suggestion... Any chance you could feedback to them that they're
    violating their own windoze UI guidelines. Not to be nasty, but it's
    gotta be confusing a LOT of people. Me included.

    I mean, if it's a minimize button, make it look like one. Right?

    >but I use a program that turns the [X] into a real close button.

    Nice. What's it called? Don't suppose it's free?

    D.

    d, Oct 9, 2005
  8. "d" <> wrote in message
    > In article <4348c7e7$>, lid
    > says...
    >> The OS will keep the programs open (the [X] button is a minimise, not
    >> close),

    > Hmmmm, yet another microsoft UI design success story?
    >
    > Silly suggestion... Any chance you could feedback to them that they're
    > violating their own windoze UI guidelines. Not to be nasty, but it's
    > gotta be confusing a LOT of people. Me included.
    >
    > I mean, if it's a minimize button, make it look like one. Right?
    >
    >>but I use a program that turns the [X] into a real close button.

    > Nice. What's it called? Don't suppose it's free?

    Ah... Just back from the Microsoft MVP Summit - and I tell you what, this
    has been a suggestion for the last few summits, don't worry. The idea is
    that developers don't have to worry about state. This is mainly a PDA, and
    the main difference between the Windows Mobile and Palm OS is that when ou
    Palm OS unless there is some hard coding, the default is to close the
    program when you go back to the App Launcher, making users go through
    everything again if an option is deep down or a process requires multiple
    steps.

    For example, on a Pocket PC you can open the web browser and then reaise you
    need a password after you have been through two pages. You can switch to a
    Password Manager type of program, copy the password and then back on the
    browser and paste it. On Palm OS, changing from the browser to App Lancher
    will automatically close your page, and you have to go through everything
    again - got it?

    As for the close buttons - there's a free one called Magic Button. I used it
    for a while (long time!) and it's good. But I am currently using Spb Pocket
    Plus, because it adds tabs to the Today screen, and you can configure tap,
    tap and hold and gesture actions for the [X] button.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 9, 2005
  9. Dany P. Wu

    d Guest

    In article <4349673d$>, lid
    says...
    > "d" <> wrote in message
    > Ah... Just back from the Microsoft MVP Summit - and I tell you what, this
    > has been a suggestion for the last few summits, don't worry.

    Excellent. I'd be nice to have one less thing to confuse us in the
    world.

    > The idea is
    > that developers don't have to worry about state. This is mainly a PDA, and
    > the main difference between the Windows Mobile and Palm OS is that when ou
    > Palm OS unless there is some hard coding, the default is to close the
    > program when you go back to the App Launcher, making users go through
    > everything again if an option is deep down or a process requires multiple
    > steps.

    Ok, that makes sense. But I've got an ipaq, and I've gotta say, I'd
    like apps to close when I tap the button. At the moment I've going to
    the task list every now and then, just to close them down. I'll check
    out magic button, it sounds like it'll give me the default behaviour I
    desire. Thanks.

    > As for the close buttons - there's a free one called Magic Button. I used it
    > for a while (long time!) and it's good. But I am currently using Spb Pocket
    > Plus, because it adds tabs to the Today screen, and you can configure tap,
    > tap and hold and gesture actions for the [X] button.

    Hmmmmm, I looked at a demo copy of pocket plus, and it looks like a good
    product, I just wanted something simple and hopefully free to correct
    what I saw as a UI fault. :)

    Anyway, thanks for the help.

    D.

    d, Oct 9, 2005
  10. Dany P. Wu

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    <snip>

    > Hmmmmm, I looked at a demo copy of pocket plus, and it looks like a good
    > product, I just wanted something simple and hopefully free to correct
    > what I saw as a UI fault. :)
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for the help.
    >
    > D.

    Try Magic Button http://www.trancreative.com/ -works great on my 2003SE
    Axim.
    HTH :)

    Pleb Plebian, Oct 10, 2005
  11. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    > "Dany P. Wu" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Dany - sorry for the late reply, as I was in the US for some
    > conferences, and just got back today.
    > Try using SD cards. They're faster than most MMC because they have
    > parallel transfer.
    > The RAM memory on Windows Mobile 2003 is used for both data and program
    > execution. The best thing to do though is to have the most free memory as
    > possible. I have a 1GB SD card on my device and install all programs on
    > this card, plus data (maps, documents, email attachments). This way you
    > have the most free RAM possible to run multiple programs.
    > The OS will keep the programs open (the [X] button is a minimise, not
    > close), and thus memory is important. Programs will be closed if the
    > memory becomes low, but I use a program that turns the [X] into a real
    > close button.

    Thanks Mauricio - I've slowly worked out how the whole thing works in the
    past week I've had the device. One annoying thing I discovered is the fact
    that the SMS notification cannot ring and vibrate at the same time. It's
    also a bit annoying that the notification is associated with the PDA audio
    volume, instead of phone volume.

    There're sounds played when you navigate through various items such as Start
    menu items, on-screen keyboard, etc. That's also associated with the PDA
    volume, which kinda makes sense. It would be great if sounds associated with
    these events can be turned off. Can't quite find the way to do this though
    :(

    Any ideas anyone?

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 10, 2005
  12. "Dany P. Wu" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Mauricio - I've slowly worked out how the whole thing works in the
    > past week I've had the device. One annoying thing I discovered is the fact
    > that the SMS notification cannot ring and vibrate at the same time. It's
    > also a bit annoying that the notification is associated with the PDA audio
    > volume, instead of phone volume.
    >
    > There're sounds played when you navigate through various items such as
    > Start menu items, on-screen keyboard, etc. That's also associated with the
    > PDA volume, which kinda makes sense. It would be great if sounds
    > associated with these events can be turned off. Can't quite find the way
    > to do this though :(

    To turn off these sounds tap Start | Settings | Sounds and notifications and
    uncheck "Screen taps". I also uncheck "Events" and "Hardware buttons", but
    YMMV.

    Have a look on Geekzone (link below), there are quite a good crowd there
    with some interesting tips. I have an article listing all software running
    in my devices, and will updte it next week with a new batch of software
    titles I am using now - and remove some from the list.

    Also, we will be publishing reviews of the new models coming out from
    Telecom, Vodafone, O2 and i-mate these coming weeks.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 10, 2005
  13. Dany P. Wu

    d Guest

    In article <1128929866.287738@ftpsrv1>, says...
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > Hmmmmm, I looked at a demo copy of pocket plus, and it looks like a good
    > > product, I just wanted something simple and hopefully free to correct
    > > what I saw as a UI fault. :)
    > >
    > > Anyway, thanks for the help.
    > >
    > > D.

    > Try Magic Button http://www.trancreative.com/ -works great on my 2003SE
    > Axim.
    > HTH :)

    Hi Pleb,

    Yep, downloaded and installed it thanks.

    It looks good. I'll have to have a bit more of a play with it, but it
    seems to "fix" it.

    Thanks for the tip!
    D.

    d, Oct 11, 2005
  14. Dany P. Wu

    > "Dany P. Wu" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Mauricio - I've slowly worked out how the whole thing works in
    >> the past week I've had the device. One annoying thing I discovered is
    >> the fact that the SMS notification cannot ring and vibrate at the
    >> same time. It's also a bit annoying that the notification is
    >> associated with the PDA audio volume, instead of phone volume.
    >> There're sounds played when you navigate through various items such as
    >> Start menu items, on-screen keyboard, etc. That's also associated with
    >> the PDA volume, which kinda makes sense. It would be great if sounds
    >> associated with these events can be turned off. Can't quite find the way
    >> to do this though :(

    > To turn off these sounds tap Start | Settings | Sounds and notifications
    > and uncheck "Screen taps". I also uncheck "Events" and "Hardware
    > buttons", but YMMV.
    > Have a look on Geekzone (link below), there are quite a good crowd there
    > with some interesting tips. I have an article listing all software
    > running in my devices, and will updte it next week with a new batch of
    > software titles I am using now - and remove some from the list.
    > Also, we will be publishing reviews of the new models coming out from
    > Telecom, Vodafone, O2 and i-mate these coming weeks.

    Thanks for that. I already had Screen Taps unticked - didn't realise it's
    actually the Events sounds that had to be turned off.

    I've joined the geekzone forum and already getting useful tips for fellow
    geeks :)

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 12, 2005