    Photoshop Album and Paint Shop Photo Album and found them painfully slow.
    Speed of database updating is important as I add photos and wait for the
    database to catch up. Any suggestions?
    x, Sep 11, 2004

  2. x

    Mark M Guest

    "x" <> wrote in message
    news:MXr0d.3107$...
    > I have hundreds and hundreds of photos to keep track of and I have tried
    > Photoshop Album and Paint Shop Photo Album and found them painfully slow.
    > Speed of database updating is important as I add photos and wait for the
    > database to catch up. Any suggestions?

    I have over 120,000 photos that ACDSee handles quite nicely...PLUS...the
    other 240,000 photo dupes on other hard drives that it also handles.

    Just be careful when they release their new versino 7 in a few weeks....
    ....They've been notorious for releasing new versions to early.

    Once they FINALLY work the bugs out, it's a great program.
    I am very happy with version 6 now, but was VERY UNHAPPY before they got
    around to releasing a major fix to it.

    Come on ACD... I'm rootin' for ya, and will be your bigest advocate...but
    ya gotta bring the goods the FIRST time around. You can do it!
    Resist the temptation for instant gratification (translation=early revenue
    from too-early a release!).

    :-O
    Mark M, Sep 11, 2004

  3. x

    Gadgets Guest

    When installing ACDSee, I install as little as possible and remove all
    options for audio and video files. Worth working thru all the options and
    caching thumbnails/database etc to speed up viewing same folder again.
    Great program once set up properly, but if you are going to buy it, maybe v3
    or 4 would be faster, cheaper and more stable for basic viewing needs.

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
    Gadgets, Sep 11, 2004
  4. x

    Harry Krause Guest

    x wrote:
    > I have hundreds and hundreds of photos to keep track of and I have tried
    > Photoshop Album and Paint Shop Photo Album and found them painfully slow.
    > Speed of database updating is important as I add photos and wait for the
    > database to catch up. Any suggestions?

    ACDC is ok as far as it goes, but...the program does not support NIKON's
    NEF format in any way, and the company that publishes it will not say
    whether it ever will...or when.

    So, after many years, I've dumped ACDC.

    --
    Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
    And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!
    Harry Krause, Sep 11, 2004
  5. x

    JMooreTS Guest

    I like IMatch. It's versatile and quick. It will easily handle "hundred and
    hundreds".
    JMooreTS, Sep 11, 2004
  6. x

    Drifter Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:48:44 GMT, "x" <> wrote:

    >I have hundreds and hundreds of photos to keep track of and I have tried
    >Photoshop Album and Paint Shop Photo Album and found them painfully slow.
    >Speed of database updating is important as I add photos and wait for the
    >database to catch up. Any suggestions?

    I've been using iMatch for about 4 months now. I have cataloged
    around 22,000 photos and am very happy with how it works!

    Cons
    Initially setting up your database (the "Properties") takes a bit of
    thought because once you start entering data you really can't change
    the fields or order. This is actually a GOOD thing later as it keeps
    you from accidentally "orphaning" any data, but it's a bit of a
    learning curve on initial set-up

    The over all learning curve may be too steep for some, BUT it is a
    professional grade piece of software. Like Photoshop, you want the
    power you need to develop the skills.

    Some minor interface issues, stuff I think is really awkward. HOWEVER
    I have been in regular contact with the author and he's incorporating
    some of my ideas into the next version :)

    Pros
    The database is PORTABLE and you can annotate from the thumbnails (I
    frequently do so on my laptop while out in the field). This also
    makes it very easy to back up your data (with 20,000 photos you can
    imagine how many hours it would take to re-annotate everything!)

    The design is very forgiving of files that have been moved to a
    different location.

    Extremely powerful search and filter functions (so I can find that 1
    photo out of 20,000 as long as I cataloged it well)

    Cheap compared to the other "professional" cataloging solutions out
    there.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Mark M wrote:

    > I have over 120,000 photos that ACDSee handles quite nicely...PLUS...the
    > other 240,000 photo dupes on other hard drives that it also handles.
    >
    > Just be careful when they release their new versino 7 in a few weeks....
    > ...They've been notorious for releasing new versions to early.
    >
    > Once they FINALLY work the bugs out, it's a great program.
    > I am very happy with version 6 now, but was VERY UNHAPPY before they got
    > around to releasing a major fix to it.
    >
    > Come on ACD... I'm rootin' for ya, and will be your bigest advocate...but
    > ya gotta bring the goods the FIRST time around. You can do it!
    > Resist the temptation for instant gratification (translation=early revenue
    > from too-early a release!).
    >
    > :-O

    Well, here's hoping you will be one of our biggest advocates - I think
    version 7 will be one of the best out there... but as I have said
    before, don't take my word for it as I'm an employee. Try it yourself
    when it gets released in the next few weeks.

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca
    James Addison, Sep 11, 2004
  8. Gadgets wrote:
    > When installing ACDSee, I install as little as possible and remove all
    > options for audio and video files. Worth working thru all the options and
    > caching thumbnails/database etc to speed up viewing same folder again.
    > Great program once set up properly, but if you are going to buy it, maybe v3
    > or 4 would be faster, cheaper and more stable for basic viewing needs.
    >
    > Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    > Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Jason,

    I agree with some of what you say here, but I would apply the points to
    any application that a user buys. I think that you should go through
    and 'optimize' every application to your needs - after all, everyone is
    unique, and so are there needs.

    What we (any and all software firms) try to do is, of course, try to
    meet everyone's needs by generalizing our options. I don't think we
    disagree on this at all - in fact, you're making a lot of sense. I wish
    more users would explore the options in their applications!

    ACDSee 7 will be nice and speedy. I should probably stop saying this,
    but: you'll have to try it and see for yourself.

    PS - You've got a nice webpage!

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca
    James Addison, Sep 11, 2004
  9. Harry Krause wrote:

    > ACDC is ok as far as it goes, but...the program does not support NIKON's
    > NEF format in any way, and the company that publishes it will not say
    > whether it ever will...or when.
    >
    > So, after many years, I've dumped ACDC.

    Harry,

    I'm sorry to hear that you've moved away from ACDSee - obviously, you
    had reason to, as you needed NEF support. I hope you'll reconsider
    ACDSee when version 7 is released (soon)... You may find the updates
    you require. More than that, I cannot say. :)

    As always, thanks for your comments.

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca
    James Addison, Sep 11, 2004
  10. x

    x Guest

    When I originally posted I didn't get much a of response so I downloaded
    both trial versions...
    ACDSee = Cleaner Standardized look US$49.95
    IMatch = Fast & Forgiving US$49.95 Completely Customizable Category
    Assignments

    Drifter in the end I am testing IMatch (speed) and ability of the IMatch to
    track moved photo's. I too have approximately 20,000 photos over a home
    network.

    x, Sep 12, 2004
  11. x

    Drifter Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:23:26 GMT, "x" <> wrote:

    >When I originally posted I didn't get much a of response so I downloaded
    >both trial versions...
    >ACDSee = Cleaner Standardized look US$49.95
    >IMatch = Fast & Forgiving US$49.95 Completely Customizable Category
    >Assignments
    >
    >Drifter in the end I am testing IMatch (speed) and ability of the IMatch to
    >track moved photo's. I too have approximately 20,000 photos over a home
    >network.

    --->snip<---

    If you need any tips feel free to >PING< me here, I check the group
    pretty often. If you REALLY need help look around on the iMatch user
    forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/imatchuserforum/
    or look over the support page at http://www.photools.com/support.php

    I've found it usually takes 1-2 days for an answer but sometimes I've
    heard back in as little as an hour.

    Like I said, there's an initial learning curve, but once you get past
    that it's an awesome cataloging software!

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Sep 12, 2004