    --
    To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
    , Nov 25, 2003

  2. wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > At present my e-mails come from a POP3 server at my ISP (Xtra). Is it
    > at all possible to setup an IMAP4 server on my home network so that it
    > will download e-mails from my ISP. I will be using MS Outlook 2002 as
    > my e-mail client.
    >
    > I don't think it can be done, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.

    Yes, of course it will work, if you can configure your IMAP4 server to
    download the messages using POP3.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Chris Mayhew Guest

    wrote in

    > Hi all
    >
    > At present my e-mails come from a POP3 server at my ISP (Xtra). Is it
    > at all possible to setup an IMAP4 server on my home network so that it
    > will download e-mails from my ISP. I will be using MS Outlook 2002 as
    > my e-mail client.
    >
    > I don't think it can be done, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.
    >
    > Thanks

    You might like to take a look at:

    http://www.pmail.com/

    and in particular:

    http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

    While I use Pegasus, I don't use Mercury though I have "played" with it and
    it looked pretty straight forward.

    This software is also free but you can buy a printed manual.
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Guest

    Thanks guys for your replies.

    Unfortunately I can't get Mercury to do want I want it to.

    Any other ideas of another suitable IMAP server software.

    Thanks.

    --
    To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
    , Nov 27, 2003
  5. AD. Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:38:47 +1300, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

    > Thanks guys for your replies.
    >
    > Unfortunately I can't get Mercury to do want I want it to.

    I haven't used Mercury for ages, but what was the problem?

    I noticed on the web site that it could collect via POP3, and that IMAP4
    was due by 2000 - has that bit not arrived yet? :)

    Was the problem the POP3 collection or the IMAP4 serving?

    > Any other ideas of another suitable IMAP server software.

    MDaemon? It's been many years since I last used it, but it could collect
    mail via POP3 and 'pretend' it got them via SMTP, and it has since added
    an IMAP4 server. It will cost you though.

    There might be some 'free for one user' alternatives to MDaemon out there.

    In the open source unix world the app used to sort of do what you want is
    called fetchmail - it feeds POP3/IMAP4 mail back into a standard MTAs
    queue. You could try searching for a Windows version of fetchmail or a
    fetchmail work-a-like that someone might've written.

    You could possibly even run fetchmail via cygwin. Or if you get really
    crazy run fetchmail (POP3 collection), Postfix (for the MTA), and
    something like Courier (for IMPA4) together on cygwin. It's free and will
    work, but would probably be the hardest option to set up initially. You'd
    have to learn more about email than you ever wanted to know :)

    Another option: Would your ISP consider queueing your mail for you so that
    you could collect it via the SMTP ETRN command? You still need to find a
    SMTP/IMAP4 server though.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 27, 2003
  6. Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    I downloaded Mercury and although it implied that it would do what I
    wanted, using the software wasn't very intuitive. In addition when I
    ran it for a second time it failed to bring up any of the
    administration windows. There wasn't a direct line of help to the
    developer, and to top it all there wasn't an uninstall feature, so I
    spent some 15 minutes uninstalling it manually.

    Clearly a bad experience of free software.

    Thanks again for the input.

  7. AD. Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:35:40 +1300, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I downloaded Mercury and although it implied that it would do what I
    > wanted, using the software wasn't very intuitive.

    OK, forget my cygwin suggestions then :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 27, 2003
  8. Chris Mayhew Guest

    wrote in

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I downloaded Mercury and although it implied that it would do what I
    > wanted, using the software wasn't very intuitive. In addition when I
    > ran it for a second time it failed to bring up any of the
    > administration windows. There wasn't a direct line of help to the
    > developer, and to top it all there wasn't an uninstall feature, so I
    > spent some 15 minutes uninstalling it manually.
    >
    > Clearly a bad experience of free software.
    >
    > Thanks again for the input.

    There are some quite bussy newsgroups (they were when i was there) -
    comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc and comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows as well
    as a mailing list.

    You can send an email to to get an automated responce
    listing the free souces of help (though I haven't tried this)
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    I decided not to attempt to use cygwin as anything to do with Linux
    has me jinxed :)

    I have attempted on many occasion to get Linux varieties to work on my
    machine and have always failed - and not through the lack of trying.

    Cheers

    --
    To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
    , Nov 28, 2003
  10. Guest

    Thank you for the relay

    OK you've convinced me, I'll give it one more try :(

    Thanks

  11. AD. Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:33:51 +1300, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I decided not to attempt to use cygwin as anything to do with Linux has me
    > jinxed :)
    >
    > I have attempted on many occasion to get Linux varieties to work on my
    > machine and have always failed - and not through the lack of trying.

    No worries, although (just in case you didn't already know) cygwin isn't
    Linux as such, it's a Windows POSIX compatibility layer that allows you to
    run recompiled Unix software on Windows. There's even a bit that runs
    unix daemons as native Windows services - we use it to run SSH servers on
    Windows.

    It's piss easy to install (the installer also lets you choose which unix
    apps you want to install), but then you've got to configure the apps
    themselves - that's the bit that will be a challenge for someone who
    doesn't already have some unixy type experience.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 28, 2003
  12. AD. Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:50:58 +1300, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

    > Thank you for the relay
    >
    > OK you've convinced me, I'll give it one more try :(

    I don't know if you've configured many mail servers before, but the nature
    of the beast means that it is a little involved and technical. Mercury and
    MDaemon would probably be two of the easiest mail server interfaces I've
    ever seen, so it would be worth sticking with it.

    At least you don't have to deal with Sendmail! Actually, I don't
    have to either thankfully :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 28, 2003
  13. Chris Mayhew Guest

    wrote in

    > Thank you for the relay
    >
    > OK you've convinced me, I'll give it one more try :(
    >
    > Thanks

    >>There are some quite bussy newsgroups (they were when i was there) -
    >>comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc and comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows as
    >>well as a mailing list.
    >>
    >>You can send an email to to get an automated
    >>responce listing the free souces of help (though I haven't tried this)

    You have got me interested in this again, so having had a poke around I
    came across this thread regarding uninstalling

    http://snurl.com/371c
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 30, 2003