IMAP services in NZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Dunford, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Do any of the major ISPs offer IMAP mail? Paradise etc?
     
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 30, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Patrick Dunford

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Apr 30, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Patrick Dunford

    Collector Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >Do any of the major ISPs offer IMAP mail? Paradise etc?
    >
    >

    IMAP is essentially web mail, but I am not sure if any support a local
    client IMAP connection. IIRC Attrix did at one stage.

    A quick Google of IMAP (NZ Pages) shows Clear, Actric Net24 and several
    Universities!
     
    Collector, Apr 30, 2004
    #3
  4. Patrick Dunford

    Mike_P Guest

    "Collector" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > >Do any of the major ISPs offer IMAP mail? Paradise etc?
    > >
    > >

    > IMAP is essentially web mail, but I am not sure if any support a local
    > client IMAP connection. IIRC Attrix did at one stage.
    >
    > A quick Google of IMAP (NZ Pages) shows Clear, Actric Net24 and several
    > Universities!
    >


    Yep... Orcon do.

    Mike
     
    Mike_P, Apr 30, 2004
    #4
  5. Patrick Dunford

    Carl Elphick Guest

    Orcon offers it free with their accounts, clear net costs ($2.95 off the top
    of my head)

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do any of the major ISPs offer IMAP mail? Paradise etc?
     
    Carl Elphick, Apr 30, 2004
    #5
  6. In article <>,
    Collector <> wrote:

    >IMAP is essentially web mail..


    Web mail normally works through IMAP, but IMAP is not necessarily Web
    mail.

    Lawrence
    accessing two IMAP accounts and one POP one through Outlook Express
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2004
    #6
  7. Patrick Dunford

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:06:12 +1200, Collector
    <> wrote:

    >Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >>Do any of the major ISPs offer IMAP mail? Paradise etc?
    >>
    >>

    >IMAP is essentially web mail....


    Nope. No way. It isn't.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Apr 30, 2004
    #7
  8. Patrick Dunford

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:46:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Collector <> wrote:
    >
    >>IMAP is essentially web mail..

    >
    >Web mail normally works through IMAP, but IMAP is not necessarily Web
    >mail.
    >
    >Lawrence
    >accessing two IMAP accounts and one POP one through Outlook Express
    >

    No, webmail is usually port 80 (http) or 443 (https).

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Apr 30, 2004
    #8
  9. Collector
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > >Do any of the major ISPs offer IMAP mail? Paradise etc?
    > >
    > >

    > IMAP is essentially web mail,


    no it's not

    Webmail over POP will only show you messages that are not downloaded to
    your local PC. Replies are not automatically saved on most systems.

    On an IMAP system all the messages stay on the IMAP server at all times.
    Another important difference is that IMAP messages can be read with most
    standard mail clients - Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird are
    examples of IMAP clients.
     
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 30, 2004
    #9
  10. Patrick Dunford

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    On my mail server (IMP webmail, same as paradise.. i think) webmail IS
    basically IMAP. Yes you connect via 80 or 443 but then the PHP pages
    connect to the mail server using IMAP.

    In this case webmail is the same as IMAP. Webmail basically acts the same as
    if it was in outlook express (purging deleted msgs etc..)

    astrae


    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:46:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Collector <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>IMAP is essentially web mail..

    > >
    > >Web mail normally works through IMAP, but IMAP is not necessarily Web
    > >mail.
    > >
    > >Lawrence
    > >accessing two IMAP accounts and one POP one through Outlook Express
    > >

    > No, webmail is usually port 80 (http) or 443 (https).
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
     
    -{-astrae-}-, Apr 30, 2004
    #10
  11. Patrick Dunford

    Steve Guest

    -{-astrae-}- wrote:
    > On my mail server (IMP webmail, same as paradise.. i think) webmail IS
    > basically IMAP. Yes you connect via 80 or 443 but then the PHP pages
    > connect to the mail server using IMAP.
    >
    > In this case webmail is the same as IMAP. Webmail basically acts the same as
    > if it was in outlook express (purging deleted msgs etc..)
    >
    > astrae

    B*ll*cks

    Webmail is a CGI program provided by your ISP that looks at the mail
    waiting to be delivered to you on your mail server. How the mail server
    manages your email is totally irrelevant.

    Steve
    >
    >
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:46:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>Collector <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>IMAP is essentially web mail..
    >>>
    >>>Web mail normally works through IMAP, but IMAP is not necessarily Web
    >>>mail.
    >>>
    >>>Lawrence
    >>>accessing two IMAP accounts and one POP one through Outlook Express
    >>>

    >>
    >>No, webmail is usually port 80 (http) or 443 (https).
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Cliff

    >
    >
    >
     
    Steve, May 1, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mianu
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    993
    dantu
    Oct 7, 2003
  2. Gwen Morse

    Adding an IMAP server to Mozilla

    Gwen Morse, Dec 28, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    390
    Gwen Morse
    Dec 28, 2003
  3. Calimero
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    550
    Calimero
    Jan 23, 2004
  4. Szymi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    645
    Szymi
    Nov 3, 2003
  5. Nikki Bergeron
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,360
    Nikki Bergeron
    Mar 20, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page