imap and evolution

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.

    The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
    deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
    the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old
    one as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open
    it anymore....

    Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Feb 22, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. thingy

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-02-22, thingy <> wrote:
    > Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
    >
    > The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
    > deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
    > the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old
    > one as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open
    > it anymore....
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing


    weird, when I delete a file with kmail.. it *stays* deleted
    If you cant find a proper solution, make a folder and store all your deletes
    in there, and script a cron job to delete that folders contents..
    hourly if need be
     
    Shane, Feb 22, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:37:49 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
    >
    > The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
    > deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
    > the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old one
    > as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open it
    > anymore....
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing


    In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e or
    click <folder> and then <Expunge>.

    That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.


    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A: No.
    Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
     
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 22, 2006
    #3
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:37:49 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
    >>
    >>The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
    >>deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
    >>the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old one
    >>as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open it
    >>anymore....
    >>
    >>Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    >
    >
    > In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e or
    > click <folder> and then <Expunge>.
    >
    > That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.
    >
    >
    > A Nice Cup of Tea
    >


    Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
    tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Feb 22, 2006
    #4
  5. On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:47:58 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:37:49 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
    >>>
    >>>The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
    >>>deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
    >>>the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old
    >>>one as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open
    >>>it anymore....
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing

    >>
    >>
    >> In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e
    >> or click <folder> and then <Expunge>.
    >>
    >> That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.

    >
    > Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
    > tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....


    No probs.

    If that's how long you've been using Evolution, then you've been using
    Evolution for about six or eight months longer than me. :eek:)

    Had Evolution slowed down much with an inbox file of that sort of size?

    I've just been discovering the usefulness of an OCR programme called
    Kooka. :eek:)


    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than
    that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you
    decide - as I have - that they are not, the next question becomes, 'Do I
    really want to do business with, to trust my business to, a company like that?'"
     
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 22, 2006
    #5
  6. thingy

    Allistar Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:47:58 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:37:49 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
    >>>>
    >>>>The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
    >>>>deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
    >>>>the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old
    >>>>one as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open
    >>>>it anymore....
    >>>>
    >>>>Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
    >>>>
    >>>>regards
    >>>>
    >>>>Thing
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e
    >>> or click <folder> and then <Expunge>.
    >>>
    >>> That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.

    >>
    >> Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
    >> tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....

    >
    > No probs.
    >
    > If that's how long you've been using Evolution, then you've been using
    > Evolution for about six or eight months longer than me. :eek:)
    >
    > Had Evolution slowed down much with an inbox file of that sort of size?
    >
    > I've just been discovering the usefulness of an OCR programme called
    > Kooka. :eek:)


    I used evolution for a few years and had a couple of false starts with
    KMail. The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE
    integration. My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file
    open/save dialogs are not in the KDE style. In December I moved to KMail
    and haven't looked back. When using it in conjunction with Kontact, things
    are even better. Couple that with some dcop scripts from SuperKaramba and
    my desktop is now much more integrated. (I recommend taking a look at dcop
    from the command line, it's amazingly powerful).

    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Feb 22, 2006
    #6
  7. On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:57:53 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE
    > integration. My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file
    > open/save dialogs are not in the KDE style.


    Have you considered the fact that Evolution is not based on KDE, but
    rather is based on Gnome libraries?

    Evolution and Pan are the only parts of Gnome that I really definitely do
    like. I'd really *love* a KDE version of Evolution.


    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A: No.
    Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
     
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 23, 2006
    #7
  8. thingy

    Allistar Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:57:53 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE
    >> integration. My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file
    >> open/save dialogs are not in the KDE style.

    >
    > Have you considered the fact that Evolution is not based on KDE, but
    > rather is based on Gnome libraries?


    Indeed I have. In the past KMail didn't have the feature set to beat
    Evolution. Now it does, and given Evolutions shortcomings on a KDE desktop
    I much prefer KMail. (There are still some feature of Evolution I prefer,
    such as the way it deals with spam).

    > Evolution and Pan are the only parts of Gnome that I really definitely do
    > like. I'd really *love* a KDE version of Evolution.


    The only Gnome app I regularly use is The Gimp.

    > A Nice Cup of Tea


    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Feb 23, 2006
    #8
  9. thingy

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:28:26 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:57:53 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE integration.
    >> My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file open/save
    >> dialogs are not in the KDE style.

    >
    > Have you considered the fact that Evolution is not based on KDE, but
    > rather is based on Gnome libraries?
    >
    > Evolution and Pan are the only parts of Gnome that I really definitely do
    > like. I'd really *love* a KDE version of Evolution.
    >
    >
    > A Nice Cup of Tea


    Pan's not part of the Gnome software "bundle".
    It's a separate project, based on GTK+.

    For instance, I don't have any Gnomes on my system, but (as you can see)
    I am running Pan.

    --
    Murray.
     
    Murray Symon, Feb 23, 2006
    #9
  10. On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:00:35 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

    > Pan's not part of the Gnome software "bundle". It's a separate project,
    > based on GTK+.
    >
    > For instance, I don't have any Gnomes on my system, but (as you can see) I
    > am running Pan.


    Isn't GTK a part of the Gnome project? Isn't it the widget set used by
    Gnome? (I could be wrong)


    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A: No.
    Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
     
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 23, 2006
    #10
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:47:58 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >
    >>A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:37:49 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
    >>>>
    >>>>The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
    >>>>deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
    >>>>the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old
    >>>>one as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open
    >>>>it anymore....
    >>>>
    >>>>Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
    >>>>
    >>>>regards
    >>>>
    >>>>Thing
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e
    >>>or click <folder> and then <Expunge>.
    >>>
    >>>That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.

    >>
    >>Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
    >>tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....

    >
    >
    > No probs.
    >
    > If that's how long you've been using Evolution, then you've been using
    > Evolution for about six or eight months longer than me. :eek:)
    >
    > Had Evolution slowed down much with an inbox file of that sort of size?
    >
    > I've just been discovering the usefulness of an OCR programme called
    > Kooka. :eek:)
    >
    >
    > A Nice Cup of Tea
    >


    Hugely, the server only had 256meg of ram and a small cpu, so a 221mbox
    took several minutes to load. Now it is like lightening.

    I dont bother with desktop stuff much, my interest is the server side,
    "standard" Linux is more than good enough for my simple
    web/oOo/email/news needs.

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Feb 23, 2006
    #11
  12. thingy

    Shane Guest

    Re: Kontact (was: imap and evolution)

    On 2006-02-22, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    > I used evolution for a few years and had a couple of false starts with
    > KMail. The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE
    > integration. My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file
    > open/save dialogs are not in the KDE style. In December I moved to KMail
    > and haven't looked back. When using it in conjunction with Kontact, things
    > are even better. Couple that with some dcop scripts from SuperKaramba and
    > my desktop is now much more integrated. (I recommend taking a look at dcop
    > from the command line, it's amazingly powerful).
    >
    > Allistar.
    >


    I only worked Kontact out this week, I had been trying to figure out wtf
    it was for, then a tutor showed me how to do a calendar in Outlook.
    Little light lit up and voila, all my appointments are now held in Kontact,
    all my club meetings, and... birthdays (damn there goes an excuse)
    Outlook and Kontact dont seem to have any difference, except visually
    Now to my Q
    Im on slackware whilst on dial-up (2.4 Kernel drivers for the winmodem :)
    but I will be back on Kubuntu once I go back to adsl (Hurry up telecom ffs!)
    how do I .. export (?) all the settings Ive put together from one to the
    other?
    Is there a dot file?
    or do I start again?
     
    Shane, Feb 23, 2006
    #12
  13. On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:14:02 +1300, thingy wrote:

    >>>Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
    >>>tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....

    >>
    >> If that's how long you've been using Evolution, then you've been using
    >> Evolution for about six or eight months longer than me. :eek:)
    >>
    >> Had Evolution slowed down much with an inbox file of that sort of size?
    >>
    >> I've just been discovering the usefulness of an OCR programme called
    >> Kooka. :eek:)

    >
    > Hugely, the server only had 256meg of ram and a small cpu, so a 221mbox
    > took several minutes to load. Now it is like lightening.


    Yep... "As it should be."


    > I dont bother with desktop stuff much, my interest is the server side,
    > "standard" Linux is more than good enough for my simple web/oOo/email/news
    > needs.


    I'm not sure what you mean by "'standard' Linux". My workstation has Kooka
    as a part of the default installation.

    I often use Pine on the file server to read email, because it's much
    faster than Evolution (because it's a console programme). Some of it I
    reply to from Pine, and other stuff I read/reply with Evolution -
    depending on how I want to answer.


    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A: No.
    Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
     
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 23, 2006
    #13
  14. Re: Kontact (was: imap and evolution)

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:29:12 +0000, Shane wrote:

    > I only worked Kontact out this week, I had been trying to figure out wtf
    > it was for, then a tutor showed me how to do a calendar in Outlook. Little
    > light lit up and voila, all my appointments are now held in Kontact, all
    > my club meetings, and... birthdays (damn there goes an excuse) Outlook and
    > Kontact dont seem to have any difference, except visually Now to my Q
    > Im on slackware whilst on dial-up (2.4 Kernel drivers for the winmodem :)
    > but I will be back on Kubuntu once I go back to adsl (Hurry up telecom
    > ffs!) how do I .. export (?) all the settings Ive put together from one to
    > the other?
    > Is there a dot file?
    > or do I start again?


    Aren't all your user settings located in hour home directory?

    If so, then why don't you simply tarball your user directory - that is, if
    your directory is not already on a separate partition that would survive a
    reinstallation.


    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A: No.
    Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
     
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 24, 2006
    #14
  15. thingy

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:42:56 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:00:35 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:
    >
    >> Pan's not part of the Gnome software "bundle". It's a separate project,
    >> based on GTK+.
    >>
    >> For instance, I don't have any Gnomes on my system, but (as you can see)
    >> I am running Pan.

    >
    > Isn't GTK a part of the Gnome project?


    No

    > Isn't it the widget set used by Gnome? (I could be wrong)


    Yes, it seems to be the default (BTW, it's "GTK+").

    >
    > A Nice Cup of Tea
     
    Murray Symon, Feb 24, 2006
    #15
  16. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Re: Kontact

    Shane wrote:
    > On 2006-02-22, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>I used evolution for a few years and had a couple of false starts with
    >>KMail. The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE
    >>integration. My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file
    >>open/save dialogs are not in the KDE style. In December I moved to KMail
    >>and haven't looked back. When using it in conjunction with Kontact, things
    >>are even better. Couple that with some dcop scripts from SuperKaramba and
    >>my desktop is now much more integrated. (I recommend taking a look at dcop
    >>from the command line, it's amazingly powerful).
    >>
    >>Allistar.
    >>

    >
    >
    > I only worked Kontact out this week, I had been trying to figure out wtf
    > it was for, then a tutor showed me how to do a calendar in Outlook.
    > Little light lit up and voila, all my appointments are now held in Kontact,
    > all my club meetings, and... birthdays (damn there goes an excuse)
    > Outlook and Kontact dont seem to have any difference, except visually
    > Now to my Q
    > Im on slackware whilst on dial-up (2.4 Kernel drivers for the winmodem :)
    > but I will be back on Kubuntu once I go back to adsl (Hurry up telecom ffs!)
    > how do I .. export (?) all the settings Ive put together from one to the
    > other?
    > Is there a dot file?
    > or do I start again?
    >


    Is this dual boot? a rebuild? or what, very vague....you could email
    yourself.....scp, burn a cdr lots of possibilities.

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Feb 24, 2006
    #16
  17. thingy

    Shane Guest

    Re: Kontact

    thingy wrote:


    >
    > Is this dual boot? a rebuild? or what, very vague....you could email
    > yourself.....scp, burn a cdr lots of possibilities.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing



    Dual boot, I have Slackware/[K]ubuntu on the same drive
    I *want* the settings for kontact to be moved over to the kubuntu partition
    ie. all the meetings Ive assigned, etc etc.

    I cant find a dot file for it... nor can I find a man page :\
    If I get motivated later I will look on google

    When I think about it I suppose I could export to a webserver, then import
    from said server
     
    Shane, Feb 24, 2006
    #17
  18. thingy

    thingy Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:14:02 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>>Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
    >>>>tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....
    >>>
    >>>If that's how long you've been using Evolution, then you've been using
    >>>Evolution for about six or eight months longer than me. :eek:)
    >>>
    >>>Had Evolution slowed down much with an inbox file of that sort of size?
    >>>
    >>>I've just been discovering the usefulness of an OCR programme called
    >>>Kooka. :eek:)

    >>
    >>Hugely, the server only had 256meg of ram and a small cpu, so a 221mbox
    >>took several minutes to load. Now it is like lightening.

    >
    >
    > Yep... "As it should be."
    >
    >
    >
    >>I dont bother with desktop stuff much, my interest is the server side,
    >>"standard" Linux is more than good enough for my simple web/oOo/email/news
    >>needs.

    >
    >
    > I'm not sure what you mean by "'standard' Linux". My workstation has Kooka
    > as a part of the default installation.
    >
    > I often use Pine on the file server to read email, because it's much
    > faster than Evolution (because it's a console programme). Some of it I
    > reply to from Pine, and other stuff I read/reply with Evolution -
    > depending on how I want to answer.
    >
    >
    > A Nice Cup of Tea
    >


    Yep, ie what ever is on the desktop I use as is....I dont bother
    downloading/installing anything new....I dont have a favourite...minimal
    effort stuff...

    Otherwise I use mail at the command line.....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Feb 24, 2006
    #18
  19. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Re: Kontact

    Shane wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>Is this dual boot? a rebuild? or what, very vague....you could email
    >>yourself.....scp, burn a cdr lots of possibilities.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    >
    >
    >
    > Dual boot, I have Slackware/[K]ubuntu on the same drive
    > I *want* the settings for kontact to be moved over to the kubuntu partition
    > ie. all the meetings Ive assigned, etc etc.
    >
    > I cant find a dot file for it... nor can I find a man page :\
    > If I get motivated later I will look on google
    >
    > When I think about it I suppose I could export to a webserver, then import
    > from said server


    So mount the slack drive partition(s) on a mount point inside kubantu
    and copy stuff across....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Feb 24, 2006
    #19
  20. thingy

    Shane Guest

    Re: Kontact

    thingy wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>Is this dual boot? a rebuild? or what, very vague....you could email
    >>>yourself.....scp, burn a cdr lots of possibilities.
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Dual boot, I have Slackware/[K]ubuntu on the same drive
    >> I *want* the settings for kontact to be moved over to the kubuntu
    >> partition ie. all the meetings Ive assigned, etc etc.
    >>
    >> I cant find a dot file for it... nor can I find a man page :\
    >> If I get motivated later I will look on google
    >>
    >> When I think about it I suppose I could export to a webserver, then
    >> import from said server

    >
    > So mount the slack drive partition(s) on a mount point inside kubantu
    > and copy stuff across....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing



    mmm kay... per chance you have an idea in mind which "stuff" I am copying
    across?
     
    Shane, Feb 24, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. dj tuchler

    firebird 0.6.1 and evolution (???)

    dj tuchler, Aug 16, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,157
    dj tuchler
    Aug 20, 2003
  2. Mianu
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    970
    dantu
    Oct 7, 2003
  3. Greg Smith

    Mozilla Thunderbird and IMAP

    Greg Smith, Feb 6, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,583
    Calimero
    Feb 7, 2004
  4. elyob

    IMAP and thunderbird

    elyob, May 2, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    605
    elyob
    May 3, 2005
  5. Gordon

    Evolution and Gmail

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    23,002
    Mike Easter
    Aug 2, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page