    Thanks for any and all help on this. I was surprised that none of my A+
    books mentioned imaging, only back-up.

    -Breedo_
    Breedo, May 23, 2005

  2. Breedo

    AG Guest

    "Breedo" <> wrote in message
    news:80lke.70284$...
    > I've never used an imaging program, but I was looking at Norton's Ghost
    > today. Could someone tell me exactly what an imaging program like Ghost
    > does? How is it better than doing a standard backup? How quickly does it
    > create/recreate the image? Does it save the image in compressed form, or
    > would I need to save the image on a hard drive as large as the imaged
    > drive?
    > Thanks for any and all help on this. I was surprised that none of my A+
    > books mentioned imaging, only back-up.
    >
    > -Breedo_

    Defrag before you run Ghost. It will cut down on the number of CD's you
    need.

    AG
    AG, May 23, 2005

  3. Breedo

    Guest

    Seriousally, Check out Acronis True Image. It makes Ghost look like a
    Fisher Price toy. I think the Workstation version is fairly low
    priced. I use the Enterprise edition and it works great on Servers and
    workstations. I assume that this is true for the workstation version,
    but the server version will make a real time image to a different disk.
    Real time, as in you dont ever have to shut the server down. You can
    also mount the image as a drive letter and brows its contents.

    As for how is an image better than a backup? Backup generally requires
    you to reinstall the OS and software, and then restore the data. Image
    just restores everything.

    Problem w/ an image is the storage space needed to house it (espically
    at an enterprise level) and the "archiveability" of the image. P
    , May 24, 2005
  4. Breedo

    Breedo Guest

    Thanks for the info, guys. It's really helpful. It would seem that imaging
    a client's HD would be a very good and easy way to CYA. It sounds like the
    average person's system would only take somewhere around 30-60 minutes to
    image. Can the image be split up over several CDs, or would it be best to
    just use an external HD to store it?

    I've never heard of Acronis True Image before (hell, I haven't heard of many
    other imaging programs besides Ghost) but I'll check it out. I've seen
    Ghost on sale for about $65 recently. Does that seem reasonable?

    Thanks again for the info!
    -Breedo_
    Breedo, May 24, 2005
  5. Breedo

    Mark Guest

    You can split the image size to fit on standard cd's and also make the first
    cd bootable. If your working with a customers computer I would not send the
    Ghost image to their harddrive, if it's NTFS you won't be able to see the
    image with the ghost boot disk.

    Mark, May 24, 2005
  6. Breedo

    Guest

    Thats one good thing about using Acronis, It always seems to reckonize
    the USB drives. Go for external HD storage man. I saw a 200GB drive
    at Staples this weekend for $80 (after Rebates) You can pick up a
    Bytecc External USB enclosure on Newegg for $30. Cant beat the price
    of that. The external enclosure supports up to a 300gb drive, and any
    optical drive you can throw at it.
    , May 25, 2005