    I'll still keep the freezer idea in mind though, in case it doesn't
    continue to give me good sized chunks at a time.

    , Oct 24, 2005

  2. Guest

    Now I have finished imaging the system partition using dd (a windows
    port, using another windows pc, because Knoppix doesn't appear to
    support USB 2.0 on my hardware). It took a half-dozen imaging sessions
    to get it all. Then I borrowed a hard drive from another old laptop and
    wrote the image to it. After resetting the MBR, it booted fine, and I
    am using it now. The data I had backed up before, and what I was able
    to recover (almost all), I copied to the borrowed drive also, so my
    laptop is fully functional again! You and dd saved the day! Thanks!

    , Oct 26, 2005

  3. J-McC Guest

    I tend to agree with I would use something like
    total commander http://www.ghisler.com/ this gives you two panels on
    the screen, one being your dying drive and the other the one you are
    going to copy your important data & stuff to. It can be configured to
    reveal hidden folders and files, good when copying a dying hard drive!
    I would copy (assuming it is XP) the "my documenets and settings
    folders", then any pictures (.jpg, .gif etc) and any other data That
    you really want. Do not bother with most programs except some niffty
    little dos ones, as most programs need to be installed properly and
    write their bits and pieces to the registry.
    You may need to put the HDD in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, I
    would avoid the freezer though as I think it may be too cold there.
    Best of luck and remember to backup files in future!
    Jim McC

    J-McC, Jan 9, 2006