Images on SmugMug

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008

  2. tony cooper

    Irwell Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

    > I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >
    > Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    > contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    > something nice, lie.

    The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
    adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
    great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

    Irwell, Dec 12, 2008

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:10:18 -0800, Irwell <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >>
    >> Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >> contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >> something nice, lie.

    >The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
    >adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
    >great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

    What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
    that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
    being razed and sells the items. It's a boneyard of yesterday's house
    parts. No attempt was made on my part to arrange the items in any
    image. The only composing was framing the shot, or cropping the shot,
    to exclude the nearby clutter; almost impossible in that setting.

    I had to rely on the camera's built-in flash since I didn't bring any
    lights or reflectors with me on that day.

    I will consider your comment to be fawning praise. It wasn't, but it
    makes me feel better to do so.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008
  4. tony cooper

    Cynicor Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:10:18 -0800, Irwell <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >>>
    >>> Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >>> contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >>> something nice, lie.

    >> The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
    >> adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
    >> great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

    > What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
    > that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
    > being razed and sells the items. It's a boneyard of yesterday's house
    > parts. No attempt was made on my part to arrange the items in any
    > image. The only composing was framing the shot, or cropping the shot,
    > to exclude the nearby clutter; almost impossible in that setting.
    >
    > I had to rely on the camera's built-in flash since I didn't bring any
    > lights or reflectors with me on that day.
    >
    > I will consider your comment to be fawning praise. It wasn't, but it
    > makes me feel better to do so.

    You mind if I nick this photo for my holiday cards? :)
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434836045_QVwYs

    I've been with smugmug for years. Their galleries look nice, they're
    easy to navigate, their service is good (and if you contact them with a
    problem they are always RIGHT on it), and the pro sales feature is great
    too. The only thing I'd like is the ability to come up with shorter
    URLs. So instead of
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434836045_QVwYs, it
    might be http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/Antiques#Bedpost or
    something similar.

    Cynicor, Dec 12, 2008
  5. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:11:37 -0600, Tak Colston
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:30:09 -0500, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:

    >>>The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
    >>>adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
    >>>great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

    >>What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
    >>that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
    >>being razed and sells the items.

    >Nothing more enthralling than some lame snapshooter trying to explain why
    >someone should appreciate their snapshots of crap.

    I will accept your comments as fawning praise. Since I don't expect
    Helen to comment on my photos, yours will be considered as pick of the
    litter.

    >Home movies of Aunt Margaret's vacation to New York, anyone? Anyone got a gun to
    >put her out of everyone's misery? Anyone?

    Actually, the home movies of Aunt Margaret's vacation in New York are
    quite good. Aunt Margaret retired after 42 years as a librarian and
    found that her pension fund was insolvent and didn't qualify for a
    government bail-out. She went to New York and obtained temporary
    employment with a call girl network as a dominatrix specializing in
    bullying people to pay overdue fines. She got some very spicy footage
    of a number of politicians - including one Governor and two State
    Representatives - groveling and screaming "Fine me more! Fine me
    now!". She wore out six #2 Ticonderoga pencils with that little
    rubber date stamp attached to the eraser end using them as a whip.

    She made enough money on her vacation to buy a pair of thigh-high
    leather boots that nicely cover her varicose veins, and to buy a
    year's supply of Kibbles and Bits for her cat HarperLee. (The cat was
    so-named because of its propensity to kill birds. But I don't expect
    you to catch that reference.)

    Know anything about photography? Ever taken a photograph?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:30:00 -0500, Cynicor <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:

    >>> The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
    >>> adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
    >>> great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

    >> What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
    >> that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
    >> being razed and sells the items. It's a boneyard of yesterday's house
    >> parts. No attempt was made on my part to arrange the items in any
    >> image. The only composing was framing the shot, or cropping the shot,
    >> to exclude the nearby clutter; almost impossible in that setting.
    >>
    >> I had to rely on the camera's built-in flash since I didn't bring any
    >> lights or reflectors with me on that day.
    >>
    >> I will consider your comment to be fawning praise. It wasn't, but it
    >> makes me feel better to do so.

    >You mind if I nick this photo for my holiday cards? :)
    >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434836045_QVwYs

    Be my guest. Glad to share.

    >I've been with smugmug for years. Their galleries look nice, they're
    >easy to navigate, their service is good (and if you contact them with a
    >problem they are always RIGHT on it), and the pro sales feature is great
    >too. The only thing I'd like is the ability to come up with shorter
    >URLs. So instead of
    >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434836045_QVwYs, it
    >might be http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/Antiques#Bedpost or
    >something similar.

    I can link to my home page, but I made the mistake of adding my
    picture to the profile part. Until I take that down, I'll use the
    gallery link. I may replace it with this one:
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/2008-09-20-0040.jpg

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008
  7. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:36:09 -0500, Stephen Bishop
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >>
    >>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >>something nice, lie.

    >The only constructive criticism I'll offer is that many of them are
    >too obviously done with on-camera flash.

    All of them. I wasn't expecting to take indoor shots that day and had
    only the D40 with me.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008
  8. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:56:58 -0600, Caesar Romano <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
    ><> wrote Re Images on SmugMug:
    >
    >>'m giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >>
    >>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >>something nice, lie.

    >Great photos! Really GREAT!!!
    >
    >But the prices are too low.

    That's a feature of SmugMug that I don't like. It's automatically
    included. Perhaps it can be removed if I can figure out the tool to
    do it. I'm using SmugMug as a gallery, and have no interest in
    selling images.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008
  9. tony cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >
    >Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >something nice, lie.

    They look good. How do you think they compare with your originals?

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Dec 12, 2008
  10. On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:30:00 -0500, Cynicor wrote:

    > The only thing I'd like is the ability to come up with shorter
    > URLs. So instead of
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434836045_QVwYs, it
    > might be http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/Antiques#Bedpost or
    > something similar.

    You can always plug it into tinyurl.com.
    Once you have your tinyurl, it's good f o r e v e r -- how ever long
    _that_ is. :)

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

    Allodoxaphobia, Dec 12, 2008
  11. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:04:22 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >>
    >>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >>something nice, lie.

    >They look good. How do you think they compare with your originals?

    Can't really tell since I'm looking at both on the same monitor. I
    didn't see any added sharpening; a problem with some sites.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008
  12. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:37:33 -0800, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
    ><> wrote in
    ><>:
    >
    >>I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >>
    >>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >>something nice, lie.

    >For about the same price as SmugMug you could host your own website with
    >the Gallery2 package (and anything else you'd like to host) on GoDaddy
    >Gallery2 is terrific, easily configured to your taste and desires.
    ><http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:About>

    Thanks for the suggestion, but clicking the above says: "You must
    have your own website with PHP and database support in order to
    install and use it."

    This, as far as I'm concerned, is written in a dialect spoken only in
    western Ethiopia. I've never tried to do a website, I don't know what
    a PHP is, and I can't tell if I can support a database or not.

    Oh, I use my Earthlink hosting space once in a while to put up
    something I've done in HTML 4.0, but it's an area I've never become
    involved in. I like the SmugMug, JAlbum, PhotoBucket, etc. type
    programs because I can just click and upload.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2008
  13. tony cooper

    Cynicor Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:56:58 -0600, Caesar Romano <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
    >> <> wrote Re Images on SmugMug:
    >>
    >>> 'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >>>
    >>> Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >>> contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >>> something nice, lie.

    >> Great photos! Really GREAT!!!
    >>
    >> But the prices are too low.

    > That's a feature of SmugMug that I don't like. It's automatically
    > included. Perhaps it can be removed if I can figure out the tool to
    > do it. I'm using SmugMug as a gallery, and have no interest in
    > selling images.

    Only with a pro account. You can set the price of things you don't want
    to sell to $0.00 and they don't show up.

    Cynicor, Dec 12, 2008
  14. tony cooper

    Cynicor Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:56:58 -0600, Caesar Romano <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
    >> <> wrote Re Images on SmugMug:
    >>
    >>> 'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >>>
    >>> Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    >>> contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    >>> something nice, lie.

    >> Great photos! Really GREAT!!!
    >>
    >> But the prices are too low.

    > That's a feature of SmugMug that I don't like. It's automatically
    > included. Perhaps it can be removed if I can figure out the tool to
    > do it. I'm using SmugMug as a gallery, and have no interest in
    > selling images.

    Actually, I lied. If you customize a gallery, there's a Printable option
    you can turn on and off. Turn it off, and people won't be able to order
    prints.

    Cynicor, Dec 12, 2008
  15. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:33:32 -0500, Cynicor <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:56:58 -0600, Caesar Romano <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Great photos! Really GREAT!!!
    >>>
    >>> But the prices are too low.

    >> That's a feature of SmugMug that I don't like. It's automatically
    >> included. Perhaps it can be removed if I can figure out the tool to
    >> do it. I'm using SmugMug as a gallery, and have no interest in
    >> selling images.

    >Only with a pro account. You can set the price of things you don't want
    >to sell to $0.00 and they don't show up.

    I just removed it. In the tools palette, check no for "prints" and
    the shopping cart thingy doesn't appear on my page.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 13, 2008
  16. tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:11:37 -0600, Tak Colston
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:30:09 -0500, tony cooper <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
    >>> that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
    >>> being razed and sells the items.

    >> Nothing more enthralling than some lame snapshooter trying to explain why
    >> someone should appreciate their snapshots of crap.

    > I will accept your comments as fawning praise. Since I don't expect
    > Helen to comment on my photos, yours will be considered as pick of the
    > litter.
    >
    >> Home movies of Aunt Margaret's vacation to New York, anyone? Anyone got a gun to
    >> put her out of everyone's misery? Anyone?

    > Actually, the home movies of Aunt Margaret's vacation in New York are
    > quite good. Aunt Margaret retired after 42 years as a librarian and
    > found that her pension fund was insolvent and didn't qualify for a
    > government bail-out. She went to New York and obtained temporary
    > employment with a call girl network as a dominatrix specializing in
    > bullying people to pay overdue fines. She got some very spicy footage
    > of a number of politicians - including one Governor and two State
    > Representatives - groveling and screaming "Fine me more! Fine me
    > now!". She wore out six #2 Ticonderoga pencils with that little
    > rubber date stamp attached to the eraser end using them as a whip.
    >
    > She made enough money on her vacation to buy a pair of thigh-high
    > leather boots that nicely cover her varicose veins, and to buy a
    > year's supply of Kibbles and Bits for her cat HarperLee. (The cat was
    > so-named because of its propensity to kill birds. But I don't expect
    > you to catch that reference.)
    >
    > Know anything about photography? Ever taken a photograph?

    Hah! Tony, you get the prize for humourous writing this weekl I am
    afraid, however, you're casting the proverbial pearls before the literal
    swine, etc., but the rest of us appreciate it!

    --
    john mcwilliams

    Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
    Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."

    John McWilliams, Dec 13, 2008
  17. John Navas wrote:
    > On 12 Dec 2008 20:06:43 GMT, Allodoxaphobia <>
    > wrote in <>:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:30:00 -0500, Cynicor wrote:
    >>
    >>> The only thing I'd like is the ability to come up with shorter
    >>> URLs. So instead of
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434836045_QVwYs, it
    >>> might be http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/Antiques#Bedpost or
    >>> something similar.

    >> You can always plug it into tinyurl.com.
    >> Once you have your tinyurl, it's good f o r e v e r -- how ever long
    >> _that_ is. :)

    > I prefer notlong.com, because it allows you to customize the link.

    There are also some of us who won't click a shortlink- or even a long
    one- if the poster's creds are unknown or in doubt. But the tinyURLs are
    more suspect than the ones that are apparent.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 13, 2008
  18. tony cooper

    Jurgen Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/6803758_vYXFr#434835982_YSfoY
    >
    > Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
    > contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
    > something nice, lie.

    And I thought my home was a mess!

    Jurgen, Dec 13, 2008
  19. tony cooper

    Jurgen Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:41:15 -0500, tony cooper
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:37:33 -0800, John Navas
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> For about the same price as SmugMug you could host your own website with
    >>> the Gallery2 package (and anything else you'd like to host) on GoDaddy
    >>> Gallery2 is terrific, easily configured to your taste and desires.
    >>> <http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:About>

    >> Thanks for the suggestion, but clicking the above says: "You must
    >> have your own website with PHP and database support in order to
    >> install and use it."

    > That's the GoDaddy part.
    >
    >> This, as far as I'm concerned, is written in a dialect spoken only in
    >> western Ethiopia. I've never tried to do a website, I don't know what
    >> a PHP is, and I can't tell if I can support a database or not.

    > Not to worry -- GoDaddy has tools that make it dead easy to install, and
    > Gallery2 is dead easy to configure.
    >
    >> Oh, I use my Earthlink hosting space once in a while to put up
    >> something I've done in HTML 4.0, but it's an area I've never become
    >> involved in.

    > Typical ISP hosting lacks the tools on GoDaddy.
    >
    >> I like the SmugMug, JAlbum, PhotoBucket, etc. type
    >> programs because I can just click and upload.

    > OK.

    There's a more eloquent solution at hand.

    $6 a month for a web site. and $10 for a domain name.

    JAlbum (it's free) and the "Skin" which has a shopping cart using either
    Google checkout or Paypal. I've used it and it works a treat.

    Jurgen, Dec 13, 2008
  20. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 12:55:09 +1000, Jurgen <>
    wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:41:15 -0500, tony cooper
    >> <> wrote in
    >> <>:

    >>> Thanks for the suggestion, but clicking the above says: "You must
    >>> have your own website with PHP and database support in order to
    >>> install and use it."

    >> That's the GoDaddy part.
    >>
    >>> This, as far as I'm concerned, is written in a dialect spoken only in
    >>> western Ethiopia. I've never tried to do a website, I don't know what
    >>> a PHP is, and I can't tell if I can support a database or not.

    >> Not to worry -- GoDaddy has tools that make it dead easy to install, and
    >> Gallery2 is dead easy to configure.
    >>
    >>> Oh, I use my Earthlink hosting space once in a while to put up
    >>> something I've done in HTML 4.0, but it's an area I've never become
    >>> involved in.

    >> Typical ISP hosting lacks the tools on GoDaddy.
    >>
    >>> I like the SmugMug, JAlbum, PhotoBucket, etc. type
    >>> programs because I can just click and upload.

    >> OK.

    >There's a more eloquent solution at hand.
    >
    >$6 a month for a web site. and $10 for a domain name.
    >
    >JAlbum (it's free) and the "Skin" which has a shopping cart using either
    >Google checkout or Paypal. I've used it and it works a treat.

    I have a JAlbum account, but the free version is limited to 30MB.
    I've filled that, and have to delete an album to add a new one. I can
    upgrade to 1GB for about $25/year, but I can get unlimited on SmugMug
    for $40/year. ($35 if you use a present user as a referral)

    I find both JAlbum and SmugMug to be very simple to use.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 13, 2008