Images not showing in Word, Excel

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Anyone run into this before?

    Word and Excel 2003 on XP64, we are trying to place some header and footer
    images into them.

    In Word the header image shows when you first load the document but then
    disappears as soon as you scroll the document, alt-tab to another
    application, pretty much anything. After the initial display it doesn't
    show at all. Looks like it's not repainting itself. Same thing with print
    preview, the image appears initially then disappears, never to return.
    Prints fine however.

    Yes, I have tried changing the view mode. Yes, I have checked the View tab
    of Tools | Options, made sure that "Drawings" is checked and that "Picture
    placeholders" is not checked.

    Excel -- the image never shows up. At all. Not in the document, though I
    do get the handles around the outside of it. Doesn't show up in print
    preview either. It prints fine. HOWEVER if I drag the image somewhere else
    on the sheet, it shows up initially, then does the same thing as word, stops
    repainting.

    While it's all very well and good that it prints OK these documents are
    going to be mainly transmitted and viewed electronically, so this is a bit
    of a PITA.

    Anyone have any ideas? I've trawled Google and will continue to do so but
    haven't found anything that solves my problem yet.

    Nik Coughlin, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Anyone run into this before?
    >
    > Word and Excel 2003 on XP64, we are trying to place some header and
    > footer images into them.
    >
    > In Word the header image shows when you first load the document but
    > then disappears as soon as you scroll the document, alt-tab to another
    > application, pretty much anything. After the initial display it
    > doesn't show at all. Looks like it's not repainting itself. Same
    > thing with print preview, the image appears initially then
    > disappears, never to return. Prints fine however.

    ....more of the same, snip...

    The pictures work fine if you go to Display
    Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot and turn off hardware
    acceleration. That's great. I'll just send an email to all of our clients
    now asking them real nicely to do this so that we can be sure our documents
    show properly. Jeez.

    Nik Coughlin, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Baloo Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone run into this before?
    >>
    >>Word and Excel 2003 on XP64, we are trying to place some header and
    >>footer images into them.
    >>
    >>In Word the header image shows when you first load the document but
    >>then disappears as soon as you scroll the document, alt-tab to another
    >>application, pretty much anything. After the initial display it
    >>doesn't show at all. Looks like it's not repainting itself. Same
    >>thing with print preview, the image appears initially then
    >>disappears, never to return. Prints fine however.
    >>

    > ...more of the same, snip...
    >
    > The pictures work fine if you go to Display
    > Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot and turn off hardware
    > acceleration. That's great. I'll just send an email to all of our clients
    > now asking them real nicely to do this so that we can be sure our documents
    > show properly. Jeez.

    Hi,

    Just a thought - what graphics card you using? The fact that you have
    to turn off hardware acceleration to me could mean that the video
    drivers have a problem. Otoh, you probably are not spoilt for choice of
    driver versions on 64 bit XP. Just loading xp 64 bit atm, should be
    good for a laugh :)

    Baloo

    Baloo, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Baloo wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone run into this before?
    >>>
    >>> Word and Excel 2003 on XP64, we are trying to place some header and
    >>> footer images into them.
    >>>
    >>> In Word the header image shows when you first load the document but
    >>> then disappears as soon as you scroll the document, alt-tab to
    >>> another application, pretty much anything. After the initial
    >>> display it doesn't show at all. Looks like it's not repainting
    >>> itself. Same thing with print preview, the image appears initially
    >>> then disappears, never to return. Prints fine however.
    >>>

    >> ...more of the same, snip...
    >>
    >> The pictures work fine if you go to Display
    >> Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot and turn off hardware
    >> acceleration. That's great. I'll just send an email to all of our
    >> clients now asking them real nicely to do this so that we can be
    >> sure our documents show properly. Jeez.
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just a thought - what graphics card you using? The fact that you have
    > to turn off hardware acceleration to me could mean that the video
    > drivers have a problem. Otoh, you probably are not spoilt for choice
    > of driver versions on 64 bit XP. Just loading xp 64 bit atm, should
    > be good for a laugh :)

    Just a plain ol' nvidia geforce 6600, but it's a pretty common problem going
    by the number of results Google returns. The Microsoft guru in our building
    said that he thinks there are some problems with some Office components
    using undocumented API calls and it is apparently fixed in Office 2006 (beta
    no sooner than March, sigh).

    Haven't had any other problems with XP64 though, suprisingly.

    Nik Coughlin, Dec 8, 2005