    that I can find.

    Windows XP sp1. Opera browser, in case it's relevant, but browsing is fine.

    Thanks, Hilary

    Hilary, Nov 11, 2006

  2. "Hilary" injected this perplexation into the mix with

    > Images don't show, in any chm I've got. There's a little
    > placeholder for the image. I've been able to confirm that the
    > images are there with a chm viewer.
    >
    > If I'd attended to this promptly I might have been able to
    > work out
    > which bit of tinkering I've done has caused this. Untinkering all
    > the tinks I could think of has met with no success. There's no
    > help on the internet that I can find.
    >

    > Windows XP sp1. Opera browser, in case it's relevant, but browsing
    > is fine.
    >

    > Thanks, Hilary

    I'm going tell ya, Hilary, the whole WinXP-SP1 thang pushes a button
    and waves some flags here, but I'm not sure if it would have anything
    to do with a situation as isolated as the one you describe.

    Here's an interesting speculation, since I've never really seen exactly
    this incarnation before: you know when you launch a *.chm file, most
    any *chm file, [run a search on your machine for *.chm only on (C:)],
    launch it and you have the Options button or menu on the interface?

    Well, click it > and it brings up a path to the Internet Options tabbed
    dialog.

    Now, I'm wondering if you're having any issues displaying images in
    your browser(s) as well?

    Going to your "Advanced" tab, (Now, I'm using IE7 here, so you'd likely
    be looking for something *similar* if not exactly...) scroll down to
    "Multimedia" and see if "Show image download placeholder" is not
    selected, and "Show pictures" is - or the other way around.

    In fact, if you've dabbled around in there a lot, you might want to
    manually note your settings as they are now, and then simply restore
    defaults. (As I recall, you'll definately want to verify that *no*
    "allow install on demand" options are allowed.)

    If you make changes, you'll likely want to exit all open windows, then
    again launch your *.chm file, and see if that does it.

    If not, you can always revert back to your previously noted settings.

    Seriously, I'm not 100% on board with a line of reasoning which would
    not have SP2 installed, but, again, in this case, since *.chm files are
    tied to Internet Properties, it should not make a whole lot of
    difference. I don't think there's any malware threats out in the wild
    that specifically target *.chm images. But it seems that there was one
    once which expolited animated *.gif's... How much that effects Opera's
    settings is not particularly clear to me either, because when I run
    Opera, I usually run everything at default, except for moving the
    toolbars around so I have a maximum field of display... Again, if you
    were in some of the groups, dabbling with Internet Options settings to
    work-around some ephemeral situation, these are so many, you may not
    have noticed.

    Anyway, try that, and see what you get.

    --

    Some folks say it was a "miracle!"

    Saint Christopher suddenly appeared and
    knocked the next pitch clean over the fence.

    But I believe it was just a lucky swing.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Hilary

    Hilary Guest

    Internet options in the chm itself. It's an IE type window even
    though I've removed IE from my system (via control panel, windows
    components), which is how I missed it.
    Advanced - multimedia - tick pictures. (How it came to be unticked in the
    first place I'm not sure.)

    Hilary

    Hilary, Nov 11, 2006
  4. Hilary

    Hilary Guest

    On 11 Nov 2006 19:51:33 GMT, Bucky Breeder
    <> wrote:

    >"Hilary" injected this perplexation into the mix with
    >>

    >> Images don't show, in any chm I've got. There's a little
    >> placeholder for the image. I've been able to confirm that the
    >> images are there with a chm viewer.
    >>
    >> If I'd attended to this promptly I might have been able to
    >> work out
    >> which bit of tinkering I've done has caused this. Untinkering all
    >> the tinks I could think of has met with no success. There's no
    >> help on the internet that I can find.
    >>

    >> Windows XP sp1. Opera browser, in case it's relevant, but browsing
    >> is fine.
    >>

    >> Thanks, Hilary
    >>

    >I'm going tell ya, Hilary, the whole WinXP-SP1 thang pushes a button
    >and waves some flags here, but I'm not sure if it would have anything
    >to do with a situation as isolated as the one you describe.
    >
    >Here's an interesting speculation, since I've never really seen exactly
    >this incarnation before: you know when you launch a *.chm file, most
    >any *chm file, [run a search on your machine for *.chm only on (C:)],
    >launch it and you have the Options button or menu on the interface?
    >
    >Well, click it > and it brings up a path to the Internet Options tabbed
    >dialog.
    >
    >Now, I'm wondering if you're having any issues displaying images in
    >your browser(s) as well?
    >
    >Going to your "Advanced" tab, (Now, I'm using IE7 here, so you'd likely
    >be looking for something *similar* if not exactly...) scroll down to
    >"Multimedia" and see if "Show image download placeholder" is not
    >selected, and "Show pictures" is - or the other way around.
    >
    >In fact, if you've dabbled around in there a lot, you might want to
    >manually note your settings as they are now, and then simply restore
    >defaults. (As I recall, you'll definately want to verify that *no*
    >"allow install on demand" options are allowed.)
    >
    >If you make changes, you'll likely want to exit all open windows, then
    >again launch your *.chm file, and see if that does it.
    >
    >If not, you can always revert back to your previously noted settings.
    >
    >Seriously, I'm not 100% on board with a line of reasoning which would
    >not have SP2 installed, but, again, in this case, since *.chm files are
    >tied to Internet Properties, it should not make a whole lot of
    >difference. I don't think there's any malware threats out in the wild
    >that specifically target *.chm images. But it seems that there was one
    >once which expolited animated *.gif's... How much that effects Opera's
    >settings is not particularly clear to me either, because when I run
    >Opera, I usually run everything at default, except for moving the
    >toolbars around so I have a maximum field of display... Again, if you
    >were in some of the groups, dabbling with Internet Options settings to
    >work-around some ephemeral situation, these are so many, you may not
    >have noticed.
    >
    >Anyway, try that, and see what you get.

    Thanks, Bucky. Hadn't seen your post when I posted my own reply. You are
    right.

    Hilary

    Hilary, Nov 12, 2006