Images are missing from Flash Card after placing card into computer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Adam Daley, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Adam Daley

    Adam Daley Guest

    Yesterday I had my 512mb Sandisk Compact Flash card in my SanDisk
    reader connected to my USB port. I run Windows 2000. I deleted all the
    images off the disk and then took the disk out and placed it in my
    camera. I took some pictures of NYC that night and then when I took
    the card out of my camera and placed it into my reader, there were no
    images on the disk. I took the card out and placed it in my camera, no
    images. I took 1 photo and that is the only photo that shows up now. I
    took about 10 pictures last night. Windows shows the card at about
    252mb free. Which seems like how it used to be. There were a lot of
    images on it before i deleted them all.

    Could windows have deleted the images from the card but then when i
    stuck it back in it finished its "ORDERS" to delete the files, and
    deleted them? There is nothing in the recyling bin. And i don't want
    to format the card, i cant exactly get the pictures I took again
    (police told me I had to leave being i was on the water front at a
    ferry they said it was a security risk - first time ive ever been
    asked to leave in the year ive been taking photos there)
    Adam Daley, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Adam Daley

    Dave Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:43:12 -0700, Adam Daley wrote:

    > Yesterday I had my 512mb Sandisk Compact Flash card in my SanDisk
    > reader connected to my USB port. I run Windows 2000. I deleted all the
    > images off the disk and then took the disk out and placed it in my
    > camera. I took some pictures of NYC that night and then when I took
    > the card out of my camera and placed it into my reader, there were no
    > images on the disk. I took the card out and placed it in my camera, no
    > images. I took 1 photo and that is the only photo that shows up now. I
    > took about 10 pictures last night. Windows shows the card at about
    > 252mb free. Which seems like how it used to be. There were a lot of
    > images on it before i deleted them all.
    >
    > Could windows have deleted the images from the card but then when i
    > stuck it back in it finished its "ORDERS" to delete the files, and
    > deleted them? There is nothing in the recyling bin. And i don't want
    > to format the card, i cant exactly get the pictures I took again
    > (police told me I had to leave being i was on the water front at a
    > ferry they said it was a security risk - first time ive ever been
    > asked to leave in the year ive been taking photos there)

    Get a utility that recovers deleted files - see if there's anything there.
    If you don't find anything, they're probably not recoverable, at least
    not recoverable for a reasonable price.
    Dave, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Adam Daley

    samsung Guest

    Try the recover my files site:-
    http://www.recovermyfiles.com
    and download some of their demo software---Don't take any pics in the
    meantime though...
    Worked for me when I 'lost ' some images- couldn't find where I saved them ,
    if I did that is..Recover my files works on Hard Disk or memory cards
    Best of luck

    Regards

    samsung, Apr 18, 2004
  4. Adam Daley

    Adam Daley Guest

    Well I did what you suggested. And I was able to restore the OLD
    images, the ones that I deleted before I left to go take pics of NYC.
    However the ones I actually took of NYC i didn't see. I know the
    camera took them, because i previewed them on the camera. Im running a
    scan now for lost files using PC Inspector File Recovery. Hopefully
    it'll find something. If not, i'll reboot my PC (havn't reboot yet)
    and search again, possible its looking at the deleted files in memory
    and a reboot might fix that. We'll see.

    Adam Daley, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Adam Daley

    Adam Daley Guest

    Okay I tried another program and it found the files. AND THEN SOME.
    There are images over a year old in here, wow... well the ones i took
    yesterday, the last fewl ines are messed up, but thats fine because
    its just ground i don't need. So thanks the restore program did the
    job.

    Adam Daley, Apr 19, 2004
  6. (Adam Daley) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Okay I tried another program and it found the files. AND THEN SOME.
    > There are images over a year old in here, wow... well the ones i took
    > yesterday, the last fewl ines are messed up, but thats fine because
    > its just ground i don't need. So thanks the restore program did the
    > job.
    >
    > Dave <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:43:12 -0700, Adam Daley wrote:
    > >
    > > > Yesterday I had my 512mb Sandisk Compact Flash card in my SanDisk
    > > > reader connected to my USB port. I run Windows 2000. I deleted all the
    > > > images off the disk and then took the disk out and placed it in my
    > > > camera. I took some pictures of NYC that night and then when I took

    <snip>
    > > Get a utility that recovers deleted files - see if there's anything there.
    > > If you don't find anything, they're probably not recoverable, at least
    > > not recoverable for a reasonable price.

    SO, which program found your files for you?
    GG
    Glenn Gundlach, Apr 19, 2004