    What is it in computer terms?

    How does it differ from a copy?

    Can anyone point me to a site that explains questions like this?

    archierob, Oct 3, 2005

  2. archierob

    shannon Guest

    archierob wrote:
    > What is an image?
    >
    > Ok I know what an image is in real life it is a reflection of the
    > original.
    >
    > What is it in computer terms?
    >
    > How does it differ from a copy?
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a site that explains questions like this?

    An image is a bit copy of the full contents of a device.
    A copy is usually just a file or folder.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image

    # n computer graphics and digital image processing, the word image
    almost always means digital image or, by extension, any computer
    description of an image, e.g. a raster map, an image file, or a 2D
    computer graphics model. For embedding an image in a webpage, see HTML
    element#Images.
    # In computer science the word image can also mean an exact (bit-by-bit)
    copy of the contents of some device, such as a hard disk, floppy disk,
    CD-ROM, semiconductor storage chip, etc. In particular,

    * A core image (or core dump, from magnetic core memory, the
    predominant RAM technology of the 1960s) is a faithful copy of the data
    stored in the main memory of a computer or process.
    * An executable image is a structured file containing machine
    instructions and data, which can be loaded into a process's virtual
    memory and executed. See kernel (computers).
    * A ROM image is a copy of the contents of an entire ROM chip,
    typically a video game executable, which may then be stored on another
    medium (in the case of copyrighted games, this comes under the category
    of software piracy).

    shannon, Oct 3, 2005

  3. archierob wrote:
    > What is an image?
    > Ok I know what an image is in real life it is a reflection of the
    > original.
    > What is it in computer terms?
    > How does it differ from a copy?
    > Can anyone point me to a site that explains questions like this?

    It depends on what context it is in, do you mean like the discussion
    about disk images?

    If so, it is an exact representation of the disk(or partition) in it's
    current state.
    Usually stored in a single file of approximatly the size of all of the
    information on the disc(unless compressed).

    The above is my thoughts on it, more than willing to be corrected.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 3, 2005
  4. archierob

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 23:33:24 +0100, archierob wrote:

    > What is an image?
    >
    > Ok I know what an image is in real life it is a reflection of the
    > original.
    >
    > What is it in computer terms?
    >
    > How does it differ from a copy?
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a site that explains questions like this?

    If you're talking about files and filesystems, basically an image is a
    dump of the data on an area of disk (eg includes filesystem stuff etc)
    and a copy is just standalone files and directories.

    Usually images are for copying entire filesystems in a way that allows
    them to be easily recreated. Think of an image as a filesystem copied into
    a file.

    Copying is for when you just want to copy some of the files in a
    filesystem and don't need the extra stuff that an image would give you.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 4, 2005
  5. archierob

    Kent Smith Guest

    archierob wrote:
    > What is an image?
    >
    > Ok I know what an image is in real life it is a reflection of the
    > original.
    >
    > What is it in computer terms?
    >
    > How does it differ from a copy?
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a site that explains questions like this?

    I like to think of a copy as being managed by the operating system. An
    image is external to the operating system.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Oct 4, 2005