    PNG, etc.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    > Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    > associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    > favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    > one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    > FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    > PNG, etc.

    I can only assume that you mean that the program gives you preview
    thumnail images when you choose "file open"?
    In that case it is how the program was written to handle previews in it
    own file browser.
    Corel Photopaint and CorelDraw, on the other hand, requires you to
    single click on each file and also have the "preview" box ticked to see
    a preview.

    , Jan 4, 2006

  3. Terry Pinnell

    tomcas Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    > Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    > associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    > favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    > one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    > FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    > PNG, etc.

    In win 2k I just select Thumbnails from the View menu in the open dialog
    box.

    tomcas, Jan 4, 2006
  4. wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    >> Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    >> associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    >> favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    >> one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    >> FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    >> PNG, etc.

    >I can only assume that you mean that the program gives you preview
    >thumnail images when you choose "file open"?

    No, I'm talking about the thumbnails displayed by these programs in
    their browser windows. In the case of IV, for example, PaintShop Pro
    files do not get shown as thumbnails, but as large standard icons.
    (Clicking one *does* open the image in IV OK.)

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Terry Pinnell

    John H Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:34:35 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    >Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    >associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    >favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    >one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    >FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    >PNG, etc.

    Irfan will show thumbs regardless of file association. Just
    use the thumbnail viewer. When the program is installed the option to
    place a shortcut to the thumbnail viewer is offered. When you double
    click a tn it will open the picture in the regular viewer. You can
    set various options for the tn viewer - default folder; size; etc.
    Works slick.

    To create a shortcut after installation make a copy of the
    Irfan shortcut; right click>properties> and in the target window add
    /thumbs at the end being sure to leave a single space in front like
    this: "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /thumbs

    The viewer is buried in the irfan exe and you can't make a
    shortcut directly from windows explorer in the normal way.

    John H

    John H, Jan 4, 2006
  6. John H <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:34:35 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    >>Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    >>associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    >>favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    >>one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    >>FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    >>PNG, etc.

    > Irfan will show thumbs regardless of file association. Just
    >use the thumbnail viewer. When the program is installed the option to
    >place a shortcut to the thumbnail viewer is offered. When you double
    >click a tn it will open the picture in the regular viewer. You can
    >set various options for the tn viewer - default folder; size; etc.
    >Works slick.
    >
    > To create a shortcut after installation make a copy of the
    >Irfan shortcut; right click>properties> and in the target window add
    >/thumbs at the end being sure to leave a single space in front like
    >this: "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /thumbs
    >
    > The viewer is buried in the irfan exe and you can't make a
    >shortcut directly from windows explorer in the normal way.

    Thanks. I was aware of those distinctions, but the point of my post
    was that (strangely) it was not working here!

    However, happily, things appear to be back to normal now. I don't know
    exactly how, but since my earlier post I did these things, not
    necessarily in this order:
    - Reverted back in IV settings to previous state, with PSP not checked
    under Associations (and reinstated under Explorer settings).
    - Uninstalled and re-installed the program 'PSP Thumbnail Handler'
    installed, which is supposed to make PSP thumbnails displayable in
    Explorer.
    - Rebooted

    IV Thumbnail Browser is now correctly showing *all* the PSP and
    PSPimage files as thumbnails.

    But in My Computer/Explorer windows, I still have the other puzzle I
    described: some PSP files do display as thumbnails, while others
    don't. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else gets that behaviour.
    I'd assume is down to a combination of Explorer and PSP Thumbnail
    Handler. Here are a couple of resized files (235 KB and 149 KB
    respectively) to illustrate it:

    http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/OriginalBW-DoesNotDisplay.psp
    http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/16M-Displays-OK.psp

    If I download both, move them to a folder and view the folder in IV's
    Thumbnail view, one renders a thumbnail and the other does not. (BTW,
    my usual method is to just hit 'T' while an image is being displayed.)

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 4, 2006
  7. Terry Pinnell

    John H Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:58:30 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >John H <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:34:35 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    >>>Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    >>>associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    >>>favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    >>>one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    >>>FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    >>>PNG, etc.

    >> Irfan will show thumbs regardless of file association. Just
    >>use the thumbnail viewer. When the program is installed the option to
    >>place a shortcut to the thumbnail viewer is offered. When you double
    >>click a tn it will open the picture in the regular viewer. You can
    >>set various options for the tn viewer - default folder; size; etc.
    >>Works slick.
    >>
    >> To create a shortcut after installation make a copy of the
    >>Irfan shortcut; right click>properties> and in the target window add
    >>/thumbs at the end being sure to leave a single space in front like
    >>this: "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /thumbs
    >>
    >> The viewer is buried in the irfan exe and you can't make a
    >>shortcut directly from windows explorer in the normal way.

    >Thanks. I was aware of those distinctions, but the point of my post
    >was that (strangely) it was not working here!
    >
    >However, happily, things appear to be back to normal now. I don't know
    >exactly how, but since my earlier post I did these things, not
    >necessarily in this order:
    >- Reverted back in IV settings to previous state, with PSP not checked
    >under Associations (and reinstated under Explorer settings).
    >- Uninstalled and re-installed the program 'PSP Thumbnail Handler'
    >installed, which is supposed to make PSP thumbnails displayable in
    >Explorer.
    >- Rebooted
    >
    >IV Thumbnail Browser is now correctly showing *all* the PSP and
    >PSPimage files as thumbnails.
    >
    >But in My Computer/Explorer windows, I still have the other puzzle I
    >described: some PSP files do display as thumbnails, while others
    >don't. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else gets that behaviour.
    >I'd assume is down to a combination of Explorer and PSP Thumbnail
    >Handler. Here are a couple of resized files (235 KB and 149 KB
    >respectively) to illustrate it:
    >
    >http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/OriginalBW-DoesNotDisplay.psp
    >http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/16M-Displays-OK.psp
    >
    >If I download both, move them to a folder and view the folder in IV's
    >Thumbnail view, one renders a thumbnail and the other does not. (BTW,
    >my usual method is to just hit 'T' while an image is being displayed.)

    Terry, my results with your sample files:
    Irfan thumbs - displays both images
    Windows Explorer thumbs - displays neither; icons only

    I do not have PSP installed.

    IN ACDSee thumbs and images display normally.

    PSP is associated with photoshop preferences in my system.
    Whether that has any bearing on the thumbs in IE I don't know.

    A bit later: I changed the PSP association to ACDSee but still icons
    in IE.

    John H

    John H, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Terry Pinnell

    Battleax Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>> I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    >>> Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    >>> associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    >>> favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    >>> one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    >>> FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    >>> PNG, etc.

    >>I can only assume that you mean that the program gives you preview
    >>thumnail images when you choose "file open"?

    > No, I'm talking about the thumbnails displayed by these programs in
    > their browser windows. In the case of IV, for example, PaintShop Pro
    > files do not get shown as thumbnails, but as large standard icons.
    > (Clicking one *does* open the image in IV OK.)

    snip

    Many image browsers won't show proprietary file types like native psp
    formats.

    Associating a file type with a program simply means that when you double
    click on the file it will open with the application it's been associated
    with.

    Battleax, Jan 4, 2006
  9. John H <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:58:30 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>John H <> wrote:

    >>> Irfan will show thumbs regardless of file association. Just
    >>>use the thumbnail viewer. When the program is installed the option to
    >>>place a shortcut to the thumbnail viewer is offered. When you double
    >>>click a tn it will open the picture in the regular viewer. You can
    >>>set various options for the tn viewer - default folder; size; etc.
    >>>Works slick.
    >>>
    >>> To create a shortcut after installation make a copy of the
    >>>Irfan shortcut; right click>properties> and in the target window add
    >>>/thumbs at the end being sure to leave a single space in front like
    >>>this: "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /thumbs
    >>>
    >>> The viewer is buried in the irfan exe and you can't make a
    >>>shortcut directly from windows explorer in the normal way.

    >>Thanks. I was aware of those distinctions, but the point of my post
    >>was that (strangely) it was not working here!
    >>
    >>However, happily, things appear to be back to normal now. I don't know
    >>exactly how, but since my earlier post I did these things, not
    >>necessarily in this order:
    >>- Reverted back in IV settings to previous state, with PSP not checked
    >>under Associations (and reinstated under Explorer settings).
    >>- Uninstalled and re-installed the program 'PSP Thumbnail Handler'
    >>installed, which is supposed to make PSP thumbnails displayable in
    >>Explorer.
    >>- Rebooted
    >>
    >>IV Thumbnail Browser is now correctly showing *all* the PSP and
    >>PSPimage files as thumbnails.
    >>
    >>But in My Computer/Explorer windows, I still have the other puzzle I
    >>described: some PSP files do display as thumbnails, while others
    >>don't. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else gets that behaviour.
    >>I'd assume is down to a combination of Explorer and PSP Thumbnail
    >>Handler. Here are a couple of resized files (235 KB and 149 KB
    >>respectively) to illustrate it:
    >>
    >>http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/OriginalBW-DoesNotDisplay.psp
    >>http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/16M-Displays-OK.psp
    >>
    >>If I download both, move them to a folder and view the folder in IV's
    >>Thumbnail view, one renders a thumbnail and the other does not. (BTW,
    >>my usual method is to just hit 'T' while an image is being displayed.)

    > Terry, my results with your sample files:
    >Irfan thumbs - displays both images
    >Windows Explorer thumbs - displays neither; icons only
    >
    > I do not have PSP installed.
    >
    > IN ACDSee thumbs and images display normally.
    >
    > PSP is associated with photoshop preferences in my system.
    >Whether that has any bearing on the thumbs in IE I don't know.
    >
    >A bit later: I changed the PSP association to ACDSee but still icons
    >in IE.

    Thank John, appreciate your taking the trouble.

    I've since been advised of the following from the 'PSP Thumbnail
    Handler' FAQ:

    "PSP Thumbnail Handler displays thumbnails by extracting the embedded
    thumbnail from the PSP file. If the file does not contain a thumbnail,
    or the thumbnail is not in the expected format, PSP Thumbnail Handler
    will fail and the default PSP icon will be displayed instead."

    "Previous versions of Paint Shop Pro did not embed thumbnails. Opening
    files originally created in these previous versions in PSP 7 or newer
    and saving the file may not add the thumbnail. You must do a Save As
    in order to get the thumbnail added (you can give the file the same
    file name)."

    "In addition, files that are 256 colors or less may not contain a
    thumbnail."

    Haven't had a chance to experiment further, but that almost certainly
    explains the anomalies.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    > Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    > associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    > favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    > one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    > FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    > PNG, etc.

    It depends on how the program selects files for the thumbnail view.
    Faststone just 'shotguns' any image format, while Irfanview selects only
    those you have indicated you want it to handle.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 5, 2006
  11. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > >> I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    > >> Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    > >> associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    > >> favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    > >> one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    > >> FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    > >> PNG, etc.

    > >I can only assume that you mean that the program gives you preview
    > >thumnail images when you choose "file open"?

    > No, I'm talking about the thumbnails displayed by these programs in
    > their browser windows. In the case of IV, for example, PaintShop Pro
    > files do not get shown as thumbnails, but as large standard icons.
    > (Clicking one *does* open the image in IV OK.)

    I'm sorry, but what you've written doesn't quite make sense and isn't
    very clear.
    Do you mean that (1) when you try and open a file with your program
    that the the program itself gives you a thumnail preview OR (2) do you
    mean that when you open a directory by double clicking on the folder in
    Explorer?
    If the answer is 1, then it is how your graphics program is written to
    give you a preview before opening it.
    If the Answer is 2, then it is restricted by whether Windows Picture
    and Fax Viewer can show thumbnails for that file type and has nothing
    (or very little) to do with what other software you have installed on
    your computer.

    , Jan 5, 2006
  12. wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >> >I can only assume that you mean that the program gives you preview
    >> >thumnail images when you choose "file open"?

    >> No, I'm talking about the thumbnails displayed by these programs in
    >> their browser windows. In the case of IV, for example, PaintShop Pro
    >> files do not get shown as thumbnails, but as large standard icons.
    >> (Clicking one *does* open the image in IV OK.)

    >I'm sorry, but what you've written doesn't quite make sense and isn't
    >very clear.

    I suspect that you don't actually *have* IrfanView?

    >Do you mean that (1) when you try and open a file with your program
    >that the the program itself gives you a thumnail preview OR (2) do you
    >mean that when you open a directory by double clicking on the folder in
    >Explorer?
    >If the answer is 1, then it is how your graphics program is written to
    >give you a preview before opening it.
    >If the Answer is 2, then it is restricted by whether Windows Picture
    >and Fax Viewer can show thumbnails for that file type and has nothing
    >(or very little) to do with what other software you have installed on
    >your computer.

    Where did Windows Picture and Fax Viewer enter the discussion?

    ---------

    Anyway, the problem is now sorted. I don't know exactly how normal
    operation was resumed, but since my earlier post I did these things,
    not necessarily in this order:
    - Reverted back in IV settings to previous state, with PSP not checked
    under Associations (and reinstated under Explorer settings).
    - Uninstalled and re-installed the program 'PSP Thumbnail Handler'
    installed, which is supposed to make PSP thumbnails displayable in
    Explorer.
    - Rebooted

    Happily, IV Thumbnail Browser is now correctly showing *all* the PSP
    and PSPimage files as thumbnails.

    I also had a reply from Irfan which I'll quote verbatim:
    "No, file associations are not required for thumbnails.
    For thumbnails, only the file extensions from "Load custom types" (if
    this option is CHECKED!) are used.
    If you check: Load only associated types ... you se, this is not the
    same ;-)"

    ---------

    BTW, in My Computer/Explorer windows, I still have the puzzle that
    some PSP files do display as thumbnails, while others don't. This must
    be down to PSP Thumbnail Handler. Here
    are a couple of resized files (235 KB and 149 KB respectively) to
    illustrate it:

    http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/OriginalBW-DoesNotDisplay.psp
    http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/16M-Displays-OK.psp

    If I download both, move them to a folder and select Thumbnail view,
    one renders a thumbnail and the other doesn't.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 5, 2006
  13. Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    >> Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    >> associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    >> favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    >> one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    >> FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    >> PNG, etc.
    >>

    >It depends on how the program selects files for the thumbnail view.
    >Faststone just 'shotguns' any image format, while Irfanview selects only
    >those you have indicated you want it to handle.

    Thanks, that's as I understand it. And that also seems consistent with
    the settings I now have. I have 'Load custom file types ' checked, and
    have added PSPIMAGE to the long default list.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 5, 2006
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Matt Ion Guest

    wrote:
    > Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >>I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    >>Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    >>associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    >>favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    >>one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    >>FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    >>PNG, etc.

    > I can only assume that you mean that the program gives you preview
    > thumnail images when you choose "file open"?
    > In that case it is how the program was written to handle previews in it
    > own file browser.
    > Corel Photopaint and CorelDraw, on the other hand, requires you to
    > single click on each file and also have the "preview" box ticked to see
    > a preview.

    Umm, IrfanView does have a "preview" option in its File Open dialog, as
    well as the ability to display the files in Thumbnail view... plus its
    own Thumbnails utility.

    I think Terry is talking about something else, but I'm not quite sure
    what...

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0601-3, 01/06/2006
    Tested on: 1/7/2006 6:46:58 PM

    Matt Ion, Jan 8, 2006
  15. Matt Ion <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd appreciate some help in getting my mind around this issue please.
    >>>Why do some programs but not others need to have specific file types
    >>>associated with them in order to display thumbnail images? My current
    >>>favourite image browser, IrfanView 3.98, unfortunately appears to be
    >>>one of them. Yet, for example, I have *no* file types associated with
    >>>FastStone Image Viewer, yet its browser shows thumbnails for JPG, GIF,
    >>>PNG, etc.

    >> I can only assume that you mean that the program gives you preview
    >> thumnail images when you choose "file open"?
    >> In that case it is how the program was written to handle previews in it
    >> own file browser.
    >> Corel Photopaint and CorelDraw, on the other hand, requires you to
    >> single click on each file and also have the "preview" box ticked to see
    >> a preview.

    >Umm, IrfanView does have a "preview" option in its File Open dialog, as
    >well as the ability to display the files in Thumbnail view... plus its
    >own Thumbnails utility.
    >
    >I think Terry is talking about something else, but I'm not quite sure
    >what...

    Well, I'm not sure why you're not sure <g>. Did you see my post on 5th
    reporting the solution?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 8, 2006